Toyota Supra to be launched in 2019 under Gazoo performance brand GR / GRMN related topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Well let's all hope they will not do something that doesn't make any sense regarding the price.It is absolutely crucial the price is kept as low as possible for both base and top spec models. With that said tho , the car should be a performer , a hard one , with power and decent handling at least. By the way i am intrigued by your post A70TTR about the development , someday i would like to know the details , someday ^^
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I'm hoping Tomoyama is given extra budget by Akio to refine the platform versus using existing funds. If they are given that 'grant' so to speak, the cars price could stay the same and end up benefitting the performance without much of a downside.

NYC_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
While the base Corvette will always offer a great value for horsepower a new ZR1 will likely be a 135-150k car. I think the competition in terms of price range 60-100k will be from the higher end Camaros/Mustangs to the near 100k sports cars (base Carrera, Evora 400, F Type , Cayman etc.) with convertibles and coupes purposely left out.

The positive for Supra will be refinement, rock solid reliability, new and cool factor (its different and you see Corvettes and 911s everywhere, atleast I do) this car should be special, extremely capable and has a whole new generation of fans in addition to those of us lucky enough to understand what made the MKIV so great. Does that mean automatic sales success —of course not but neither was the MKIV.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I am adding this one hopefully in the correct thread...

New article, 2019 Supra Needs To Destroy Toyota Tundra. The Tundra is currently the fastest vehicle in Toyota’s line-up, ever since Toyota started offering the TRD Supercharger as an add-on option for the Tundra, making it the fastest vehicle from Toyota at the moment...

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Is a 750 hp Vette really the Supra's competition? I very much doubt it, from all indications here and elsewhere the Supra's power output is going to be in the 280 (Spec B) - 400 hp (Spec A) range.

Who would buy a $90+k Supra? The market would be tiny.

Kbreak30

First Name
Sitt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Lexus LS430 / 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
that would be pretty amazing if the prices were in that range.

remember that most of this stuff isn't set in stone, especially since marketing ultimately can play with price too. maybe the car will end up being much cheaper than what I was told, and that would be a situation where I'd LOVE to be wrong.

that said, there are a ton of reasons I'd argue prices will never be that low, with development cost being at the top of the list...

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
that would be pretty amazing if the prices were in that range.

remember that most of this stuff isn't set in stone, especially since marketing ultimately can play with price too. maybe the car will end up being much cheaper than what I was told, and that would be a situation where I'd LOVE to be wrong.

that said, there are a ton of reasons I'd argue prices will never be that low, with development cost being at the top of the list...
I think another good reason is the fact that a BRZ with a performance pack and special paint costs the same. Price estimates from the manufacturer never get overestimated, especially in projects like these. Nobody predicts rising developments costs or even simply inflation when they make initial estimates. I'm fully expecting to pay more than the current estimates.

I've also heard that one of the variation is going to be hybrid and the release date is towards late 2019 as of 2020 model. How was Japan by the way brother?
Japan was amazing dude! Every JDM car enthusiast has to make the journey at least once. It's a completely different culture compared to here and the Japanese people are so inviting of all styles of cars. So you'll see a huge variety of styles and modifications and everyone enjoying other people's cars, even if it's not what they're into. Such a refreshing thing to experience. We can learn a lot from them!

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Agree that the writer's estimates are wishful thinking, but there are limits to how high Toyota can press the pricing on the lower powered version especially. The Supra name may mean a lot to some forum members here but it's going to be of little significance to most potential buyers and won't command a big premium. Even Honda, with its much higher-recognition "Type R" line, kept the new CTR's pricing very reasonable on release, a few thousand below its competition (ADMs aside).

I'm hoping to see the base 280 or so hp car come in at about $10k more than a loaded BRZ - so around $40k here in Canada; the 380 hp variant at about $50k. (If that sounds low keep in mind that Canadian prices are typically lower by upwards of 15% than a pure US to Canada currency changout based on US vehicle pricing would give.)

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Agree that the writer's estimates are wishful thinking, but there are limits to how high Toyota can press the pricing on the lower powered version especially. The Supra name may mean a lot to some forum members here but it's going to be of little significance to most potential buyers and won't command a big premium. Even Honda, with its much higher-recognition "Type R" line, kept the new CTR's pricing very reasonable on release, a few thousand below its competition (ADMs aside).

I'm hoping to see the base 280 or so hp car come in at about $10k more than a loaded BRZ - so around $40k here in Canada; the 380 hp variant at about $50k. (If that sounds low keep in mind that Canadian prices are typically lower by upwards of 15% than a pure US to Canada currency changout based on US vehicle pricing would give.)
That's exactly why Toyota won't release the lower spec model in the US/Canada. Market competition here is unreasonable for Toyota to bring a cheap car they would potentially lose money on (yen to dollar is weak) or a low spec car that gets ripped apart in the press because of price.

The only option is to bring the high spec car, load it up with all the bells and whistles, and sell at a reasonable, but not cheap, price. Which is exactly what's going to happen. What that "reasonable" price is, depends on too many factors, so we won't know until a few months before launch.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, the 4cyl car is not coming to North America. I've been hearing for too long that it's only going to the 6cyl and I believe its for the exact reasons Guff gave, plus the fact that Americans always have to have the best, biggest, most powerful. some companies offer the lesser models, like say the Ecoboost Mustang, but you cant really compare that car to the 4cyl Supra IMO.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
An ecoboost mustang manual in europe is generally sold around 40k give or take , also the camaros are about 4k-5k higher if i remember correctly for the automatic 2.0T . I wish toyota doesn't price it higher than the mustang , I mean the 86 has scared many people with its price in most countries of the eu , so that's why i wish for a low price at least for the base model .
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.