Toyota Supra vs Honda Civic Type R

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Lol @ this thread. 0 chance Iā€™d consider the civic.
I do like CTR. however, I fail to see what is the reason to compare apple and orange... at the end of the day, people who likes apple will still like apple and vice versa. in my opinion, it's just internet click bait hype..

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I do like CTR. however, I fail to see what is the reason to compare apple and orange... at the end of the day, people who likes apple will still like apple and vice versa. in my opinion, it's just internet click bait hype..

I think the reason you see the comparison is because usually people look at two completley different cars because they offer similar things, but also very different things.

It for the same reason i cross shopped a Veloster N, CTR, M340i, Supra, and Kia Stinger. One thing that is in common among all cars, is that they are quick enough to be fun to drive. Now the rest of that fun is determined by things like suspension, tuning, transmission and the like. Thats were some of the difference came in.

Some of the bigger difference were sedan, vs 2 seater vs hothatch. practicality was a factor. How willing was i to sacrifice fun over practicality and vice versa. How badly did i actually need 4 doors, and if i didnt need 4-doors how badly did i need trunk space. I took into consideration that i already have another 2-seater only car and i'd never be able to drive more than just my girlfriend around.

End of the day i chose a Supra because my heart yearned for this car and i decided to follow my heart instead of my brain. Just because two cars arent even in the same category doesnt mean they wont be cross shopped.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
Many people here probably wanted a unique and fun vehicle to drive. The Civic Type R happen to be one of them. I too considered one since It was significantly cheaper than a Supra. I also test drove a Model 3 Performance and used RCF before I chose the Supra. Now if the Type R didn't look so boy racer I'd of picked up one over the Supra even though they are different performance class vehicles.

AirAlexie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
The Type R is okay but it shouldn't be compared to the Supra.

the interior is shite. cheap plastic everywhere and its a quiet as a cop on a bike.

the supra is a completely different car and experience.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Type R is okay but it shouldn't be compared to the Supra.

the interior is shite. cheap plastic everywhere and its a quiet as a cop on a bike.

the supra is a completely different car and experience.
As a consumer cross shopping and comparing are two different things and not all consumers shops the same way. I know that sounds oxymoron. The best way to say it is some shoppers may look at many vehicles within a certain price range. For me it was between $30k-$60k. Used sports cars, fast sedans, and new sports cars were all taken into consideration.

A type r is not on the same level as a Supra as far as performance goes but some shoppers just want a fun car and a type r is one of them. Also someone can save $10k-$18k by picking a type r. It all really comes down to how the shopper thinks. If his mind is set on a GR Supra then he's not going to cross shop other vehicles.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
I understand the 2.0L Supra vs The CTR comparison a tad bit more, but even those are two completely different vehicles.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I understand the 2.0L Supra vs The CTR comparison a tad bit more, but even those are two completely different vehicles.
I agree with you.

for a light comparison, such as "which car can get you to grocery and back?", may be.. However, characteristic of 2 cars are not quite compatible to compare. both car excels in their own arena.

if I had to chose between which one to get grocery? I will chose Supra since it's automatic. :p I seriously doubt I need "Power of Dream" to get grocery.. :D

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
$30k-$60k is a broad range of cars. Lol ? Doesnā€™t make any sense.
It does. just because you can afford the 60k car doesnt mean you will buy the 60k car. I had this exact same price range before i bought the Supra. I considered everything from the Veloster N, to a Porsche Cayman (used 981). The only requirement was that it was considered a fun car. So no eco models, no electric cars, no big eco sedans or SUVs. This meant i was cross shopping a CTR, to a Supra, to a Cayman, to an M2 Competition, to a Kia Stinger, to a STI, to a Golf R and so much more.

They all offer something different and as i stated above, its about what i'm willing to sacrifice to gain with something else for the price.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It does. just because you can afford the 60k car doesnt mean you will buy the 60k car. I had this exact same price range before i bought the Supra. I considered everything from the Veloster N, to a Porsche Cayman (used 981). The only requirement was that it was considered a fun car. So no eco models, no electric cars, no big eco sedans or SUVs. This meant i was cross shopping a CTR, to a Supra, to a Cayman, to an M2 Competition, to a Kia Stinger, to a STI, to a Golf R and so much more.

They all offer something different and as i stated above, its about what i'm willing to sacrifice to gain with something else for the price.
Exactly my point. Just because I can afford a $60k car, it doesn't mean all my choices has to be direct competitors to the GR Supra. If I had purchased a used RCF or C6 Z06, I'd of have saved close to $20k. I just wanted another "fun" car and it's ok if others don't understand my reasons. My other toy is a 2019 Camaro zl1 1le so I didn't really want another American sports car although I did strongly considered a 2003-2006 Viper. At the end I decided to go with a 21 Supra 3.0 premium because it was unique and I kind of bought into the hype. Lol.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera