Track Day Tire Chat

kalee26

First Name
Kalee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium, 17 Genesis G80 5.0 Ultimate
Hello! I have about 3 track days on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, and even with -2.7 degrees of front camber, I continue to eat through the outside of my front tires at Eagles Canyon Raceway in Dallas. Is this a Michelin Problem? I have been recommended Hankook RS4's but cannot find any in the stock sizes. What are yall running? This is a dedicated track car that is just driven to and from the track.
Sponsored

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Hello! I have about 3 track days on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, and even with -2.7 degrees of front camber, I continue to eat through the outside of my front tires at Eagles Canyon Raceway in Dallas. Is this a Michelin Problem? I have been recommended Hankook RS4's but cannot find any in the stock sizes. What are yall running? This is a dedicated track car that is just driven to and from the track.
PS4S performs poorly as a hot-lapping tire. Its fine for one hot lap and a series of cruisers, but the compound likes to chunk (quite severely at times) when you've reached whatever that heat threshold is. Camber helps but the BMW Spec PSS's (factory) are a bit more resilient than the generic PS4S. I haven't seen/experienced the new BMW Spec PS4S that come on the new M3s.

I've been documenting my experience with the Yokohama Apex V601 tire. To be clear, this is not a track tire either, but it holds up much better than PSS/PS4S and for the price, it's been good to me. We don't have many options if we stick purely to the factory tire sizes (hope this changes in the future).

This thread contains two links to the track day experiences and even more wear photos with situational context to determine if your driving and conditions might be similar. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/sp...ut-not-drifting-on-yokohama-v601-tires.10934/
I'm running -2.5 camber up front and maxed out -2.1 camber in the rear.

Up next I have A052s coming in, and depending on the wear at my next track event, I might consider changing the camber to -3 or -3.5 degrees, as my car is similar to yours - just sees the track and the drives to/from.

OP
OP
kalee26

kalee26

First Name
Kalee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium, 17 Genesis G80 5.0 Ultimate
Yes I have also been looking into the A502's and they are the only Competition tire that I can find available to order. I did notice that the inside of the tires have little wear, so I could also increase the camber in the front, but since I have to get a new set to tires anyways, might as well try something new :)

I have been running 30 cold getting to about 38 hot. After I noticed excessive wear I pumped the front up to 38 cold so I had more time at the track before the tires gave way, horrible for lap times :( As far as full on track tires, doesnt heat cycling become tire life the enemy?

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
If you stay strictly with OEM sizing, I think your main options are A052 and Cup2s. If you're a bit flexible, a 265/285 may work on the stock wheels, which would let you try SC3Rs. The SC3R will be a superb track tire but may too be extreme for mixed use on both street and track.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just curious: For a dedicated track car, is there a reason you'd run the 4S over the Cup 2 (sticking with the Michelin brand)? Looking for better standing water performance? Besides that, and cost, I suppose, I can't think of anything.

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2022 M235
For stock sizing I would try Cup2 before the A052; A052 in my experience have a soft sidewall, which means heavy cars (Supra is ~3300-3400, my M3 is ~3450 lb) will lean over on the sidewall very hard, causing uneven wear. A052 on my M3 with -3.5 front negative camber was still not wearing evenly. Other tires like AR-1, NT01, Toyo RR wore much more evenly because of their stiffer sidewalls. I might even try the Conti ExtremeContact Sport as they don't have the multiple compounds going on. Might wear better.

If you can do 275 square, I'd recommend trying Continental ExtremeContact Force. Sidewall according to a friend is quite stiff, which should be good for doing a bunch of lapping.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
If itā€™s dedicated track car and youā€™re chasing for best lap times, A052 is hard to beat in the 200TW category. Downside is they wear out fast and does have sidewall flex but itā€™s not that bad. I ran these and liked them a ton.

Havenā€™t tried them yet but seeing the results at the track days I go to and from feedback I hear from track rats, Goodyear Supercar 3R is another great tire, probably a little better than A052 in terms of lateral grip. Itā€™s a 100TW tire with less starting tread depth than A052. Wouldā€™ve gotten these but at the time they were out of stock.

The tire I am using now, which is a more budget friendly tire and almost a direct replacement of the beloved RE-71ā€™s are the Falken RT660ā€™s. These do provide great grip with a stiff sidewalk for good responsiveness but not as grippy as the other two tires mentioned before this. But they do last longer and donā€™t really heat cycle out.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
The regular Super Car 3 (non R) may be a perfect tire for folks with only an occasional track day and don't want to be replacing tires every other month like some us :(

think they are 280-300 wear and they do last a whole lot longer and are plenty stiff if that is what you like.

I have not- but may try the SC 3R but the scca i want to run more of is 200 only

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The regular Super Car 3 (non R) may be a perfect tire for folks with only an occasional track day and don't want to be replacing tires every other month like some us :(

think they are 280-300 wear and they do last a whole lot longer and are plenty stiff if that is what you like.

I have not- but may try the SC 3R but the scca i want to run more of is 200 only
Agree about the non R version of the Supercar 3. It is a good track tire for longevity. Other than sacrificing some grip, I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with them from what I hear.

If you do end up trying the SC3R at some point, could you post your experiences with it? Would love to hear your feedback.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Agree about the non R version of the Supercar 3. It is a good track tire for longevity. Other than sacrificing some grip, I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with them from what I hear.

If you do end up trying the SC3R at some point, could you post your experiences with it? Would love to hear your feedback.

you made me want to try them sooner than I had planned....

Just bought the last 4 on the east coast apparently. lol

EDIT: getting much cooler here in VA and although i plan on running some events in NOV do not know if current advans will make it. Doubt i will want to do much with SC3R besides an initial heat cycle/break in this fall. But, i can store them in climate controlled storage.

May also get some pilots to mount on the old OEM wheels for the occasional winter exercise...

and then really abuse/test the SC3R in the spring?

Last edited:

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
you made me want to try them sooner than I had planned....

Just bought the last 4 on the east coast apparently. lol
Haha awesome. Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t be disappointed with them. What size did you get? 275/35-18?