Trading in my 2.0 (B46/48) for a Phantom Matte 3.0 (B58)

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Just watched a Shmee150 video where he says the owner manual states any PPF on the exclusive matte Phantom paint will void the factory paint warranty.

I may just stick to doing the front bumper…

You're better off getting a good full PPF than trying to retain Toyota's warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
You're better off getting a good full PPF than trying to retain Toyota's warranty.
May have to weigh my options. Really thinking I’ll be keeping this car as long as possible… though that only complicates the choice. :oops:

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So I can weigh in on a few things in this chain.

1) Makes sure to check the lip of the trunk. Several phantom owners have reported issues with it. Mine was indeed cracking and Toyota repainted the trunk for me free of charge.

2) Carmax usually removes any PPF. That is what happened with mine. When I took it to be done, the installer mentioned he could see where they just cut it off and left some edges where you couldn't see them.

3) I matte PPF'd the front, rockers, mirrors. I did a double ceramic coat. Toyota did not tell me it voided the warranty... in fact, I am trying to get them to pay for the recoating of the trunk.

Hope that helps you!

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
So I can weigh in on a few things in this chain.

1) Makes sure to check the lip of the trunk. Several phantom owners have reported issues with it. Mine was indeed cracking and Toyota repainted the trunk for me free of charge.

2) Carmax usually removes any PPF. That is what happened with mine. When I took it to be done, the installer mentioned he could see where they just cut it off and left some edges where you couldn't see them.

3) I matte PPF'd the front, rockers, mirrors. I did a double ceramic coat. Toyota did not tell me it voided the warranty... in fact, I am trying to get them to pay for the recoating of the trunk.

Hope that helps you!
Yes dude! That helps me a ton lol. I will probably also get parts of the front-end PPF’d just to be safe.

Thanks! Any other info your willing to share, particularly tips regarding CarMax, would be greatly appreciated!

R_R8TED

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelatedgamer.com
Car(s)
2021 Supra MKV 3.0, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Congrats and great color! A buddy of mine picked one of these up last month. Love the matte finish ;b The lines on the MKV really pop with this LE color.

For peace of mind (on oil consumption), use Liqui Moly Special Tec V 0W-30. The manual states this weight can be used when 0-20 isn't available and many people that track these hard swear by the stuff (although they usually lean towards the 5W-30 weight). These engines are thirsty, plain and simple. Nothing to fret over. Just shorten your maintenance intervals to 3K miles. I wouldn't go pass that on any high performance boosted car regardless, these 5-10K scheduled changes many dealers push now are ludicrous IMO.

And absolutely read up on maintaining a matte finish properly. From what I've read, it's just a few different changes in what you use to wash it with. I'm not sure about ceramic coating on it. If it can be done safely, it certainly makes a HUGE difference when done properly. My detail shop had my Supra for 8 days, knocking out a 2-step paint correction and Xpel ceramic coating on the paint, wheels and calipers. The difference, even on brand new paint, is just incredible.

F7Hq5tq.jpg

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Congrats and great color! A buddy of mine picked one of these up last month. Love the matte finish ;b The lines on the MKV really pop with this LE color.

For peace of mind (on oil consumption), use Liqui Moly Special Tec V 0W-30. The manual states this weight can be used when 0-20 isn't available and many people that track these hard swear by the stuff (although they usually lean towards the 5W-30 weight). These engines are thirsty, plain and simple. Nothing to fret over. Just shorten your maintenance intervals to 3K miles. I wouldn't go pass that on any high performance boosted car regardless, these 5-10K scheduled changes many dealers push now are ludicrous IMO.

And absolutely read up on maintaining a matte finish properly. From what I've read, it's just a few different changes in what you use to wash it with. I'm not sure about ceramic coating on it. If it can be done safely, it certainly makes a HUGE difference when done properly. My detail shop had my Supra for 8 days, knocking out a 2-step paint correction and Xpel ceramic coating on the paint, wheels and calipers. The difference, even on brand new paint, is just incredible.

F7Hq5tq.jpg
Thank you man, I am stoked!

I am not too concerned about oil consumption, unless it’s something unreasonable. May just go up a weight like you said…

I’ve been religiously looking up matte paint detailing instructions. I’ve been amateur detailing since I was 16, so I’m not clueless. Wife already has some detailing gifts for me!

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Let me know when you go to see the car, i can come out with you and inspect it.
That would be amazing.

I’ll get you some Crosstreet Chicken or something!

I will DM you once the delivery date gets closer— hopefully we can hash something out.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That would be amazing.

I’ll get you some Crosstreet Chicken or something!

I will DM you once the delivery date gets closer— hopefully we can hash something out.
Lol no need to, but i'm down to link up and check out this Sup for you. We'll make sure it checks out. 🤙🏽

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I love the ceramic coat. Makes washing a dream. I use Dr. Beasly. but I just bought some Chemical Guys and a foam cannon, so you can guess my plans for the week.

I bought from Carmax and the only issue had with them was buying in VA and they were in MD. Even though they were 20 miles away, they refused to deliver the car across a state line within their mileage limit. And the made a laughable offer on my Audi Q3. I kept it.

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Lol no need to, but i'm down to link up and check out this Sup for you. We'll make sure it checks out. 🤙🏽
Hell yeah, good lookin’ out bro 🙏🙏🙏

OP
OP
PearlSup

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
I love the ceramic coat. Makes washing a dream. I use Dr. Beasly. but I just bought some Chemical Guys and a foam cannon, so you can guess my plans for the week.

I bought from Carmax and the only issue had with them was buying in VA and they were in MD. Even though they were 20 miles away, they refused to deliver the car across a state line within their mileage limit. And the made a laughable offer on my Audi Q3. I kept it.
I have a feeling that’s what my wife got for my birthday (we have many CG products), though I’m going to look elsewhere for when I ceramic coat it myself. CG quality has gone down imo.

That seems like a minor inconvenience for a bitchin’ car. Hope my deal goes well (obviously). They did offer almost sticker for my Supra 2.0, but I’m sure the offer will ***mysteriously*** drop once the car shows up here in San Diego.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
This is an awesome swap congrats brother!
Sponsored