Updating Power Steering Software to 2021 Spec

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The 2021 Supra uses the same EPS rack but with different software tuning and I personally felt that it was noticeably better on-center than the 2020 rack. So, tuners of the world, is this something that we could update with a flash tune? I know M3/M4 guys flash/code the GTS steering+diff+ESC updates but I wasn't sure if it could be done in the same fashion on the Supra.

Anybody know more about this than I do?
Sponsored

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
Very good point. It also seems that the rear diff software can be flashed over as well if the diff part no stays the same.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
I would want this also :)

diff/rack and damper software update.
Shouldn’t Toyota give it to us as a free update?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I would want this also :)

diff/rack and damper software update.
Shouldn’t Toyota give it to us as a free update?
Why would they give it free? You aren't entitled to it. Every manufacture makes minor changes every year. Are they expected to give you the update every year? Thats the cons of being a first adopter.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Tesla does OTA...
If they care about customer satisfaction, they could at the very least offer it to those who want. Even at a cost, people would entertain the idea of upgrading to improved __Guff, fill in the blanks__ (if they've done simulations/tests to confirm it works with MY20).
This is a special sports car for Toyota (at least for some execs). They could do such things, for brand loyalty.

Reactions: zrk

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Tesla does OTA...
If they care about customer satisfaction, they could at the very least offer it to those who want. Even at a cost, people would entertain the idea of upgrading to improved __Guff, fill in the blanks__ (if they've done simulations/tests to confirm it works with MY20).
This is a special sports car for Toyota (at least for some execs). They could do such things, for brand loyalty.
I would definitely pay if it was offered. But to expect it free is just being a little entitled.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
But to expect it free is just being a little entitled.
That's the model we've been fed with, all along. I'll give props again to Tesla and hopefully GM, Ford and FCA said they'd follow suit. If it's just a software update, and if cars are more computer based than ever, like iPhone/Android/Windows/etc. and we get continuous updates/improvements in those to masses, I don't see why we'd think we'd consider this as being "entitled", rather we're entitled to get improvements as they come..

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like OTA from Tesla is a bit like them pulling the wool over the eyes. They are trying to treat their cars like software, where the driver doesn't necessarily "own" the car, but is licensed to drive it. I'm not saying that they are directly related, but I'm just concerned that other manufacturers that would do OTA updates might try to apply that model. While I'd love to get updates where possible, I would not want it at the cost of losing actual ownership of the car and my right to work on the car.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
The only reason why I mentioned to get it for free is that is is simply software and no hardware changes AND there have been reports the early models have dangerous handling at the limit/high speed.
This was the only reason why Toyota had to update these items.

beging Toyota and safety driven I would indeed think/hope the software upgrades would be foc.

dsipple92

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
The only reason why I mentioned to get it for free is that is is simply software and no hardware changes AND there have been reports the early models have dangerous handling at the limit/high speed.
This was the only reason why Toyota had to update these items.

beging Toyota and safety driven I would indeed think/hope the software upgrades would be foc.

For bmw updates it has to be hooked up to ista so at the very least you would need to pay the labor. This I would be ok with.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
Are the updates possible in the end?

- diff software
- steering rack software
- damping software

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like OTA from Tesla is a bit like them pulling the wool over the eyes. They are trying to treat their cars like software, where the driver doesn't necessarily "own" the car, but is licensed to drive it. I'm not saying that they are directly related, but I'm just concerned that other manufacturers that would do OTA updates might try to apply that model. While I'd love to get updates where possible, I would not want it at the cost of losing actual ownership of the car and my right to work on the car.
?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I would definitely pay if it was offered. But to expect it free is just being a little entitled.
No it’s not. We’ve all become to expect software updates to be free. App updates on your phone, the phone’s operating system, even computer operating systems. Apple stopped charging for OS updates years and years ago, Microsoft followed suit a few years ago. *nix distributions updates have always been free. And hell, every piece of web-based software you’ve ever used in updated a lot in the background.

Speaking as a software engineer, there’s literally no reason to not offer OTA or even dealer serviceable updates for free. Especially since the tax law changed that forced Apple to charge $9.99 for iPod operating system upgrades back in the early 2000s.
Sponsored