US Dealers Screwing Customers?

FlammasWRLD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 NB Miata - 2024 Red 3.0 Premium MT - Ninja400
I had Toyota of Cool Springs Tennessee try and sell me a 45th Anniversary Edition for 90k OTD. It's insane that they are allowed to do this. I reported them to Toyota corporate and the reply I got seemed like they didn't care.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
The positive ... it keeps the value elevated on our used Supras.

On 1/2021 my new 2021 Supra (3.0 Prem) msrp was 57k... I negotiated the price down to 51k.

My car is nearly 3 years old with 9,000 miles and it would still most likely sell for more than I originally paid for it (to a retail buyer).

A win win for current Supra owners.

For a new Supra buyer... not so much.

Last edited:

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX-8, '23 BRZ, '24 3.0 MT
Is it the dealers or is it Toyota at fault? I'd say Toyota is to blame for limiting US supply on the Supra and also some of their other high in-demand vehicles. No one should be paying over MSRP on a hybrid Rav4, Sienna, Prius, etc.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
The positive ... it keeps the value elevated on our used Supras.

On 1/2021 my new 2021 Supra (3.0 Prem) msrp was 57k... I negotiated the price down to 51k.

My car is nearly 3 years old with 9,000 miles and it would still most likely sell for more than I originally paid for it (to a retail buyer).

A win win for current Supra owners.

For a new Supra buyer... not so much.
On the negativeā€¦those of us cursed to live in states with personal property tax based on blue book value
ā€¦it keeps us paying exorbitant amounts each year. Iā€™m still paying nearly $2k yearly on mine.

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX-8, '23 BRZ, '24 3.0 MT
On the negativeā€¦those of us cursed to live in states with personal property tax based on blue book value
ā€¦it keeps us paying exorbitant amounts each year. Iā€™m still paying nearly $2k yearly on mine.
And it would drive up insurance cost too.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
EMS pilot. What state or country u reside in?

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
hybrid Rav4,
In Aussie, the dealer is not allowed to charge more than RRP. This car, for example, is a 2+ year wait here. Same with 300 series and hybrid Camry.

The Supra is a 12-15 month wait here.

I worked at a dealership with a Toyota for 2 years. I was the Sales Manager for Chevvy and 2IC'd Hyundai. Toyota is in a totally different world when it comes to customer popularity, resale values and especially wait times. Their backlog is insane.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
WTF, which state? That is like 4-5x the property tax rate for homes where I live.

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
I'm in Virginia and I'll be paying 1400ish on the year I believe for the personal property tax.

My Mazda CX30 is something like 600 I think. My 2016 228xi was like 350.

Didn't think about that. I had been pretty happy that the resale value is high because I opted to not buy a 2019 C7 grandsport and now those things are selling for 5K more than I was about to pay a year ago and likely would only go up or stay about the same as the last manual Corvette...helps ease the blow that the Supra manuals have inflated resale values too (and the autos it seems as well) although those are just list prices I'm looking at and I don't know what the actual sale prices end up being.

Totally agree about the dealers going nuts and certain customers reinforcing that by purchasing at values so far above sticker. I'd argue the blame is on both dealers and those customers that are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of sticker. A bit goes to toyota for not levying punishments on those dealers with insane markups but it seems a lot of other OEMs choose to do the same. Supply and demand and all.

Edit: reading what some have read more closely and I'm hearing about very very long wait times so that feels like it changes things a bit for me. I will say that most cars that I called on were accounted for/sold or were in transit and so I just let those dealers that seemed to be getting inventory know that I was interested (avoiding the ones that were being unreasonable about pricing on the phone). I may got really lucky in retrospect that I was able to get a car optioned almost exactly the way I wanted it. Bless the person that backed out last minute and allowed me to buy it.

Last edited:

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Very limited inventory combined with many dealers still living in covid times. Currently, only 5 new supra's are actually on the ground and for sale, according to my manager at Toyota looking at the SET software, online I see about 90 listings, but all are incoming, and only 2 had photos on CarGurus. As long as my A91 MT stays around 60k+ for the next 6 or so months I will be happy lol.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Very limited inventory combined with many dealers still living in covid times. Currently, only 5 new supra's are actually on the ground and for sale, according to my manager at Toyota looking at the SET software, online I see about 90 listings, but all are incoming, and only 2 had photos on CarGurus. As long as my A91 MT stays around 60k+ for the next 6 or so months I will be happy lol.
My buddies dealer here in Jax, just resold a CU gray one this week. Didnt last the weekend and it went for $68k.

I really wanted to pull the trigger, but just couldnt get myself to do it. That color is beautiful.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
My buddies dealer here in Jax, just resold a CU gray one this week. Didnt last the weekend and it went for $68k.

I really wanted to pull the trigger, but just couldnt get myself to do it. That color is beautiful.
Really is an awesome color, looks great on bmwā€™s too. but I do love my burnout and the rarity factor being the least produced color is kinda cool šŸ˜Ž

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
EMS pilot, you have to pay ā€œpersonal property faxā€ based on yearly assed valuation on your car every year!šŸ˜± am I reading that correctly? In the state of Virginia !
Sponsored