What is the difference?

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I have a 2020 3.0 premium with driver assist and other options. I know what a base model is, I know what a launch edition is. What makes a A90 and A91?
Sponsored

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
By Toyota's definition, A91s are the special editions that have come out, the 2021 cars with the stripes, and the 2022 A91-CF edition.

It is colloquially but incorrectly to refer to the 6 port Supras that came out with the 2021+ model year.

OP
OP

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thanks, That clarifies the A91 really well. What sets the A90 apart from a loaded 2020 premium?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Thanks, That clarifies the A91 really well. What sets the A90 apart from a loaded 2020 premium?
They're all A90s. All 2019+ Supras are A90s. Even the A91 is an A90 (confusing I know).

All trim levels are A90. It's like a chassis code, but it's not actually the chassis code (bleh).

OP
OP

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thanks Zack, Some of the A91 options are really cool. I just got confused by some people implying the A90 is somewhat different than the other 2020's. Loving the car! Just over two years now and 18k miles. Not a single issue. So far........:)

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
All MK5 Supra's are A90's,

A91's have blue stitching on the interior, easiest way to tell a black A91. And the Refraction Blue color can only be found on 2021 A91's.

A91 CF have the carbon exterior bits and special half black and red seats.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If we were to go based off of old toyota heritage, toyota fucked up the naming for the Supra lol. I somewhat remember reading about this somewhere, i don't know if this is true but this is how i remembered it (you Supra Purist better not flame me, i'm not even sure myself, i vaguely remember reading this.); Speculations are that the Ax0 was designated for the N/A model Supras, while Ax1 is designated for turbo model cars, for instance:

A60- MkII Supra (they never made a turbo model)

A70- N/A MkIII Supra

A71- Turbo MkIII Supra

A80- MkIV Supra

So to technically be correct, we're all A91s. Lol. I feel like a more feasible correction would be that we designate the B48 Supras as A90's and then B58's as A91's.

Other people also like to designated the 2020 (2 port Supras) as A90's and all 2021+ (6 port Supras) as A91's so there's no confusion (which there still is.. i don't care personally but some people really fight about it)

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
They're all A90s. All 2019+ Supras are A90s. Even the A91 is an A90 (confusing I know).

All trim levels are A90. It's like a chassis code, but it's not actually the chassis code (bleh).
Easiest way to look at it.^^^^

I think the chassis code technically being j29 is the bmw code I would assume. And Toyota refers to it as a90.

Me personally, I made the video cited above and don't necessarily agree with how Toyota did it. But just explained the moniker usage of Toyota.

I kinda think they should have named the limited editions something different so there wasnt any confusion. Just cut and dry. Ie: launch edition, blue ice edition (idk it has blue accents 😂), cf edition. Next year's MN edition for the manual lol

Reactions: zrk

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
A91's are "Special editions", which some how came without a heads up display? You trade that nifty heads up display for blue stitching, special "stripes on the rear quarters", and..... what else? Refraction blue if you didn't go with Nocturnal black, which was an offering on the non A91 editions, and perhaps a plaque on the dash.

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah that speedo 3 inches above the speedo really make a difference 🤣

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Yeah that speedo 3 inches above the speedo really make a difference 🤣
I'm sorry that you can't read your speedo without taking your eyes off the road. That affects not just you but also those on the road with you.

I'm not sorry that you paid Toyota extra money for a stripped-down model. Based on what I continue to read here, I'm happy to have you be the one who subsidizes the rest of us.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm sorry that you can't read your speedo without taking your eyes off the road. That affects not just you but also those on the road with you.

I'm not sorry that you paid Toyota extra money for a stripped-down model. Based on what I continue to read here, I'm happy to have you be the one who subsidizes the rest of us.
Obviously I can, otherwise I'd want the HUD 😉

It's just money. Can't take it with you, so have fun while you're young.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
I enjoyed the hud on my BMW, I don't miss it on the Supra. It's cool, but for me personally it wasn't a big deal if it had it or not. The biggest reason why I went with the A91 edition was the wheels. I personally love the solid black wheels and I think the stock wheels look atrocious. Just my opinion. I also didn't pay any extra really for the blue accentes stitching. So it saved me new wheels, buying the mirror caps and spoiler. All wins for me🤷

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I enjoyed the hud on my BMW, I don't miss it on the Supra. It's cool, but for me personally it wasn't a big deal if it had it or not. The biggest reason why I went with the A91 edition was the wheels. I personally love the solid black wheels and I think the stock wheels look atrocious. Just my opinion. I also didn't pay any extra really for the blue accentes stitching. So it saved me new wheels, buying the mirror caps and spoiler. All wins for me🤷
Funny you said that, I said the exact same thing to the wife at the dealer when we test drove a yellow one with the hideous wheels. We're saving $4k not having to buy aftermarket wheels.
Sponsored