What keeps getting stuck and where?

BlackSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Hello everyone,

I have had this happen to me 3 or 4 times already. I am guessing the tires picked up some rock and it gets stuck in the rotating assembly somewhere, but where? Here's a video my gf took this morning.

Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Sounds like a tsunami warning siren or wear indicators. But you say you are certain it's a rock?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Dude, sounds like you're driving a bus or something.
Your YT videos seem to suggest you're working as product advisor at Destination Toyota dealership. Techs there can't help you???

Just put it on a lift remove the wheel and inspect.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Likely a small rock between the heatshield and the rotor... happened to me a couple times early on - then luckily never since. First time I drove "creatively" (hard brake, reverse fast, hard brake, forward, etc.) and dropped it... the second time I just poked at the dust shield with a screwdriver in my garage and it dropped out. I'd recommend trying the second method first. :rolleyes:

See THIS THREAD for more stories...

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlackSupra

BlackSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Good to know that it's a common issue lol...Is there a fix?

I made a left turn then I heard the rock fall off after some clunks. But this keeps happening so it's getting annoying.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Good to know that it's a common issue lol...Is there a fix?

I made a left turn then I heard the rock fall off after some clunks. But this keeps happening so it's getting annoying.
Aside from permanent modification and/or removal of the shield? Drive on cleaner roads? :p

Honestly if it keeps happening you might consider modification, but in my case it only happened early on. Don't know if I've just had a lucky year since then or if I bent it "just right" the last time.

OP
OP
BlackSupra

BlackSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Yea I guess so hahaha, I just hope my poor rotor is ok. I am going to take the wheel off later today to inspect it

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Had the same issue about 2 months ago, sounds like a rock in the rotor -- mine got caught about a mile from home and fell out in my garage as I was pulling in. No issues since.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Itā€™s a rock. What I did was drive hard and brake fast. Sharp fast corners. Came out instantly.
Happens a lot after it rains

Shay

First Name
Shay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium White
I had the same problem about 2 months ago. The noise lasted for about 4 miles. As I made my last left turn before getting home it went away. I assumed it was a rock against the right front brake rotor.

Dmscott77

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 gr Supra
Or if you went to north hills Toyota in Pittsburgh they might have smashed all your dust guards against the back of the rotors like mine. Not sure how.
Then next oil change they smashed the side ground effects. When I had them put it on the lift to check to make sure they fixed all the damage I saw they didnā€™t use jack pads and smashed the plastic Block guide things.
Make sure the tech really know what heā€™s doing before. I talked to the guys that messed my car up three times and Toyota did send him to a class. Hopefully heā€™s just a one off idiot and they taught other techs right

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
This happens to me after it rains. Little pebbles get picked up and slung between the dust shield and rotor. I can sometimes put the car in reverse and the rock will fall out but Iā€™ve got one in there now that wonā€™t budge, so time to take off the wheel and do it the hard way.

Itā€™s so damn annoying and always happens at the worse time - running behind schedule to get to work, taking off to a doc appointment, or dressed in nice clothes where I canā€™t stick my arm through the wheel and wiggle the shield for the rock to fall out with getting grime all over me.

?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Itā€™s happened to me twice so far. They recently resurfaced the road to my office and when they were done they just left all of the gravel there rather than sweeping it up. Itā€™s like driving down a gravel road now.

The first time it happened I picked one up while pulling into the work parking lot. It fell out pretty quickly after pulling out of my spot in the evening.

The second time it happened I picked one up while leaving work. I stopped in a Lowes parking lot to try to get it outā€¦drove in circles forward, reverse, stopped and tapped on the shield with a wrench, drove in circles again, etc. Nothing would get it out. I eventually just said fuck it and continued on my drive home so I could work on it there. After about 20 seconds at 70 mph on the freeway it flew out.

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
This was happening to me all the time, and especially so after installing sticky tires. Thereā€™s a lot of gravel around here and I used to do the olā€™ reverse, then forward thing, or go to the car wash and try to spray them out. Iā€™ve had to pull a wheel a few times to clean out some persistent rocks, so I fixed it for good by gently pushing all four shields away from the rotor so they have a few millimeterā€™s more clearance. Fixed forever.

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
Hello everyone,

I have had this happen to me 3 or 4 times already. I am guessing the tires picked up some rock and it gets stuck in the rotating assembly somewhere, but where? Here's a video my gf took this morning.

Holy crap, this happened to me the other day on my 500 mile 2022. Freaked me out but after driving a few more blocks it went away.
Sponsored