Why I Think Everyone is Wrong About the MKV (Video)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I like how Lexus doesn't hold back on their naming of concepts to production...they make it so obvious (i.e., LF-LC became the LC, LFA became the LFA, etc...). I don't understand why Toyota can't just confirm the name of the car during the testing phase. Is the name really going to be a deal breaker if the car is going to be a performer???
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
The differences between the LC and this car is that Toyota had already filed trademark for the LC500 and LC500h back in November of 2014. So far to date, the only two names Toyota has on hand is Supra and Celica.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
^Trademark patent is probably going to be our best clue. Has anyone discover any new names?

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I don't think it will have any effect either way. Has the value gone down on the 1st gen NSX since the new one was released? Nope
but the new NSX did not pick up from where the old one left off instead its a totally different car.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I don't think it will have any effect either way. Has the value gone down on the 1st gen NSX since the new one was released? Nope
The total opposite happened in that case. Before the new one was in the works I could have picked up 91-93 for $15k-$20k. Now they are starting around the $30k mark.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
but the new NSX did not pick up from where the old one left off instead its a totally different car.
It has the same goal as the original car; an exotic that you can use everyday. Yes, it is totally different when it comes to the hybrid and AWD part, but what does that have to do with using an already establish nameplate? If we want to get technical, this joint project with BMW is going to totally different car as well in the sense it is brand new and shares no parts with the A80.

The total opposite happened in that case. Before the new one was in the works I could have picked up 91-93 for $15k-$20k. Now they are starting around the $30k mark.
Yup, the hype of the new car cause the old one to increase in value.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Are you still planing on getting one?

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Are you still planing on getting one?
:nono: Not at the current market value. The SO would kill me for dishing out that much money for such an old car. Maybe if prices were to go back to the $20k range.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
It has the same goal as the original car; an exotic that you can use everyday. Yes, it is totally different when it comes to the hybrid and AWD part, but what does that have to do with using an already establish nameplate? If we want to get technical, this joint project with BMW is going to totally different car as well in the sense it is brand new and shares no parts with the A80.
Agree, people need to realize that cars change over time. The C7 is a totally different car from the C1. But does that mean it shouldn't use the Corvette nameplate?

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Let me get this right, if Toyota does call it something else than that would somehow keep people from comparing it to the MK4? Nope, people are going to compare it anything and everything; regardless of what name Toyota goes with. When the RX8 was release people were still comparing it to the RX7. Also the R35 GT-R; it doesn't wear the Skyline name anymore, but that doesn't keep people from comparing to the R34, 33, 32 and etc. No straight six, no manual, blah blah blah.

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me get this right, if Toyota does call it something else than that would somehow keep people from comparing it to the MK4? Nope, people are going to compare it anything and everything; regardless of what name Toyota goes with. When the RX8 was release people were still comparing it to the RX7. Also the R35 GT-R; it doesn't wear the Skyline name anymore, but that doesn't keep people from comparing to the R34, 33, 32 and etc. No straight six, no manual, blah blah blah.
The RX-8 is compared to the RX-7 because it is the next "RX" in the lineup....the GTR (Skyline prefix or not) is compared to the previous GTR's, because it is the next "GTR" in the lineup...the list goes on and on (i.e., 350Z, NSX, Corvettes, etc...). This is no secret, and pure expectation by the car enthusiasts. However, do you see people comparing the Ferrari F458 to the F360 or F355?...NO! This is because they are unique in their own ways and different models....smart move on Ferrari's part. Do Porsche owners flame each others cars when one has a 959 Turbo and the other has 904 GTS?...NO! Both same class of supercar for the brand, different generations....but they are different models.

Toyota, if you are listening, DO NOT CALL IT A SUPRA!

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
The RX-8 is compared to the RX-7 because it is the next "RX" in the lineup....the GTR (Skyline prefix or not) is compared to the previous GTR's, because it is the next "GTR" in the lineup...the list goes on and on (i.e., 350Z, NSX, Corvettes, etc...). This is no secret, and pure expectation by the car enthusiasts. However, do you see people comparing the Ferrari F458 to the F360 or F355?...NO! This is because they are unique in their own ways and different models....smart move on Ferrari's part. Do Porsche owners flame each others cars when one has a 959 Turbo and the other has 904 GTS?...NO! Both same class of supercar for the brand, different generations....but they are different models.

So I guess that means we can compare the RX2, RX3, and RX4 to the 7s as well. The R35 is now a separate model no longer connected to the Skyline AKA Infiniti G/Q50/Q60. So from your point of view, Nissan shouldn't have put the Z name on the 350z and 370z because they are both a step back when compared to the Z32?

Polls show that a majority of enthusiast and potential buyers would like to see the Supra nameplate return. So from a marketing position it makes tons of sense to do so.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX

You underestimate Ferrari and Porsche owners... :lol:

Go to fchat and rennlist and people compare all the models all the time.

The dick measuring contest might not always be stated everytime but it's always ongoing.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
maxresdefault.jpg

You missed one...the Ford GT

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
maxresdefault.jpg

You missed one...the Ford GT
Exactly! I guarantee you every publication outlet in the world will do this. I can just see it now, "MKV vs. MKIV - How Will The New Car Compare?"

Toyota will be shooting themselves in the foot by resurrecting a "Supra" to be less worthy of the previous generation....which we all know WILL NOT BE AS GREAT AS THE MKIV!!!....again, as a "Supra." Now, if they come up with a new name for the car, it has the potential to be as good if not better than the MKIV in it's own unique way just like the 2000GT, Celica, Supra (I, II, III, and IV). Put all this BMW bull$hit aside, we all know a new "Supra" cannot and will not compare to a MKIV Supra....this is obvious for so many reasons beyond Toyota's control (up to an EPA level).

If Toyota thinks they will sell these cars just because they will have a "Supra" nameplate on them....they are in for a big let down. If they create a new model (i.e., GT-1) they will have a winner because if they get it right and the car responds well to the masses, they will have a new generation of halo cult following....however, if the car doesn't respond well to the masses, then they at least didn't destroy the "Supra" name.

TOYOTA SHOULD NOT CALL the FT-1 a "SUPRA"....period! Let's see a new halo car worthy of the Toyota brand and racing development.
Sponsored