Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unless one of those dudes are test driving the proto types with a camera/go-pro in it = they are just OPINIONS based on windmill rumors. Nothing concrete is out nor has anyone driven one to give their verdict.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I am really not hyped by this car, as transaxle seems to no be available. A (mid-)front engine RWD sports car without transaxle is half a sports car.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I am really not hyped by this car, as transaxle seems to no be available. A (mid-)front engine RWD sports car without transaxle is half a sports car.
Don't think this car was ever intended to be Front-Midship, and I'm incredibly thankful for no transaxle. Have you ever worked on a transaxle? It's a nightmare!

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
so the miata's, S2000's, vipers, corvettes, RX7's, nissan Z's, and the late Supra's are all "half sports" cars?

AFAIK, transaxles are great for the weight distribution, which i can understand. but if you think about it you'd rather keep the mass towards the center of the car;instead of big chunks on either ends. of course it all depends on the specific chassis design, but saying one is better or lack of thereof renders half of the sportiness taken away is just myopic.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
said no one who races off road....ever. :)

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Levi has been around since the beginning, like me, wanting this car actually turn out close to what the FT1 promised. His big thing is transaxle, which is a legit want IMO.

so the miata's, S2000's, vipers, corvettes, RX7's, nissan Z's, and the late Supra's are all "half sports" cars?

AFAIK, transaxles are great for the weight distribution, which i can understand. but if you think about it you'd rather keep the mass towards the center of the car;instead of big chunks on either ends. of course it all depends on the specific chassis design, but saying one is better or lack of thereof renders half of the sportiness taken away is just myopic.
Corvette has a transaxle, has had it for awhile.

No, Miata, S2k, are not really sportscars. Sporty cars, fun enthusiast cars, sure, but not really a sportscar. ;)

And in general, most of those are old cars. New supra is a new car. Just because an old Ferrari had carburetors doesn't mean a new one should.

Transaxle isn't end-all but it signals a serious performance sportscar. If they cheap out on that, rest of the car will probably not be that impressive either.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Levi has been around since the beginning, like me, wanting this car actually turn out close to what the FT1 promised. His big thing is transaxle, which is a legit want IMO.

No, Miata, S2k, are not really sportscars. Sporty cars, fun enthusiast cars, sure, but not really a sportscar. ;)

And in general, most of those are old cars. New supra is a new car. Just because an old Ferrari had carburetors doesn't mean a new one should.

Transaxle isn't end-all but it signals a serious performance sportscar. If they cheap out on that, rest of the car will probably not be that impressive either.
in your opinion, what kind of "sportiness" does a trans-axle add?

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars

I wanted the FT1 also, but to say it's not a real sports car because it doesn't have a transaxle is ridiculous.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I hear a lot of people complaining that it isn't going to be as great as the MK4; if so why not just go buy a MK4 than and stop complaining. :dunno:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I hear a lot of people complaining that it isn't going to be as great as the MK4; if so why not just go buy a MK4 than and stop complaining. :dunno:
The 4th gen Supra is an old car. Even the newest, cleanest example is 20 years old. Not a legitimate point.

The Supra Turbo was a high-end sportscar at the time. It was a legitimate Corvette, 911 competitor, and would even give a Ferrari a run for its money. Again, at the time, it was one of the best performance cars money could buy. We want that same thing today, another high-end competitor. It doesn't have to beat everything, but be in the ballpark. Something that's cross shopped with a Carrera S or a Corvette Grand Sport and not a 370Z or Honda Civic Type R.
Sponsored