Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Halo cars are about what a company can do.. not what it can borrow and use. That to me is a slap in the Supra’s face.
I will agree on the halo car part about showing what a company can do.But then it becomes a conflict kf interest because the last time they did that, they made the 350k LFA. It was awesome, but it was a pipes dream in terms of ownership

Toyota, not Lexus, probably doesn't want a 100k vehicle because to most dealerships, customers want camrys and corollas, not cars that cost twice as much. Can't imagine how the salesman can even transition to showing off the Supra

Lexus has no problems on their end, but they ate about luxury over performance, and even in the F series, the ratio becomes 50 50 compared to 75:25.

Now, the LCF, I want to see that
Sponsored

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I will agree on the halo car part about showing what a company can do.But then it becomes a conflict kf interest because the last time they did that, they made the 350k LFA. It was awesome, but it was a pipes dream in terms of ownership

Toyota, not Lexus, probably doesn't want a 100k vehicle because to most dealerships, customers want camrys and corollas, not cars that cost twice as much. Can't imagine how the salesman can even transition to showing off the Supra

Lexus has no problems on their end, but they ate about luxury over performance, and even in the F series, the ratio becomes 50 50 compared to 75:25.

It doesn’t have to be $100k. There are other cars out there in the $50-70k with great looks and performance. Toyota just needed to make a car that is great out of the box with aftermarket potential the A80 is known for to hit it out of the park. Instead they just figured they would use another car, modify it, slap the Supra name on it and cash in. What were they thinking using the Supra name on this is beyond me, a slap in the face for heritage and the only car in their line up that deserves to be a true Toyota. Toyota has sold their soul a long time ago.

JP_Supra

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV

The Supra will be the type of car you walk into the dealership knowing you intend to buy it already.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

I see your point but here.. consider this..

Nissan sells a 150k Nismo GTR with no issues, Chevy sells a 150k ZR1, Dodge sold a 140k ACR and now sell 90k challengers Demons and Hellcats. Toyota can easily sell a 75k Supra if it were a pure in house car. Taking a BMW and doing some suspension tuning and using their switch gear / electronics doesn’t do justice to a company’s halo car.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
The Supra will be the type of car you walk into the dealership knowing you intend to buy it already.
For you maybe, i will go for a test drive but I already know I won’t be buying it that same day. Knowing what I know about it so far, i’ll Wait for a slightly used one in the $30’s, that’s if I like it enough to own it. Or, I might just go with a Porsche and call it a day.

JP_Supra

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
For you maybe, i will go for a test drive but I already know I won’t be buying it that same day. Knowing what I know about it so far, i’ll Wait for a slightly used one in the $30’s, that’s if I like it enough to own it. Or, I might just go with a Porsche and call it a day.
I was more confident before than i am now. The power bump in the M2 has me eyeing that too now, considering that actually comes with a manual.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Many more versions of Camry, Corollas, Yaris, to come.. this won’t be the last petrol car by any means. Tada probably said the last performance petrol car cause .. he probably doesn’t have any faith in Toyota making another sports car in the future given how frugal the company is.
Toyota USA at least

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
Sad times. I was looking for my next car to purchase since my ND will be three years old this November. But with no manual and a BMW rebadge, I rather drive the ND which is so much fun, with great handling, and low maintenance.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s like that dog that died after it nutted for the last time. Toyota was the same after the MKIV release. They were like.. here you go world. Perfection!! And it was perfect in many ways than Toyota even imagined it to be.

I’d be very happy if they call this thing coming up something else. Call it FT1, don’t muddy up the water with the name ‘Supra’ and having it made elsewhere in a JV in the name of saving a meaningless penny.

Here you go world.. we made another Supra.. it’s our halo car. What’s so special about it? It’s the only turbocharged vehicle in the line up and the motor is sourced by BMW. How does that sound? All this effort and the market perception is.. it ain’t even a Toyota.

Halo cars are about what a company can do.. not what it can borrow and use. That to me is a slap in the Supra’s face.
Jdmuscle, keep the analogies coming....haha....good stuff!

Yeah, I was a big opponent of Toyota naming the car a Supra. I get why they did it, but I feel like they did it for the wrong reasons. This isn't the rebirth of a Celica or MR2....this is the rebirth of the Supra. I feel like Toyota should have thought this through more carefully before rushing to call this car a Supra. To many people (particularly the millennials) this is exciting news and a god send....yet, to us hardcore enthusiasts who know what a Supra represents down to every nut and bolt on the car, this new car is borderline an abomination. Not many people understand why "we" feel this way...and so retaliation comments are made based on lack of experience. The same thing happened with the GT-86, all the Corolla and Sprinter guys who owned/experienced the original AE86 cars looked at the FR-S/BR-Z as something not really an evolution of the original. Only the new kids to the import scene (those who have never experienced a true AE86) fired back at the real enthusiasts when they had no idea what the negativity was about in the first place. I would have a completely different level of respect for this car had it not been called a Supra....because, then it can create it's own cult and not have the MKIV overshadowing it all the time. I can just see the YouTube videos now, "MKIV destroys MKV during highway pull" or "MKV spins a bearing racing MKIV", etc...

I agree, that special care and consideration should have been taken in representing this new "halo" car....because that is what happens when Toyota labels a piece of hardware a Supra...it is held to such a high expectation that if it fails to deliver what the MKIV delivered, then they will have embarrassingly killed of a great nameplate. However, this is also why I still visit this forum from time to time....something tells me there is more to this car. False hopes?....Perhaps, but just the bad press this thing will get if it doesn't deliver will be interesting to see all on it's own.

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
My excitement is at 2.

The car is a year too late, I can imagine two scenarios, the first scenario were Toyota realised that this project is/ was a bad idea, and they trying to salvage what they can, the end result will be an ok car but nothing special, also I can see the PR boys being stressed out working at full force out during launch period.

The second scenario is basically this.
kekuausualsuspects.gif

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sad times. I was looking for my next car to purchase since my ND will be three years old this November. But with no manual and a BMW rebadge, I rather drive the ND which is so much fun, with great handling, and low maintenance.
Love the ND.. hoping to have one some day. Such a sexy true to core purpose of what the original was.. kudos Mazda. Toyota should’ve learned from that.. instead they cheated out and now we have a stupid bmw as our next Supra.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It doesn’t have to be $100k. There are other cars out there in the $50-70k with great looks and performance. Toyota just needed to make a car that is great out of the box with aftermarket potential the A80 is known for to hit it out of the park. Instead they just figured they would use another car, modify it, slap the Supra name on it and cash in. What were they thinking using the Supra name on this is beyond me, a slap in the face for heritage and the only car in their line up that deserves to be a true Toyota. Toyota has sold their soul a long time ago.
I see all these claims as if it is fact but I don't see how this is Toyota taking another car and making it their own? The Z4 was revealed and we saw the engine, but Toyota has been very coy and we won't know until later. They did not just pick up the Z4 and say, welp, this is our car now. Toyota is not stupid. They know this is an enthusiasts' car, while attempting to make it easy for the new generation of buyers who couldn't care about what a Supra is. If they knew they were getting shit, they'd call it the GT1 or something else to not soil the Supra name. Recall they announced it this year it would be called a Supra so they must be content with what they could do.

Then again regarding naming, the new mustang is going to be an AWD, so all rules from the past is out the window.

I see your point but here.. consider this..

Nissan sells a 150k Nismo GTR with no issues, Chevy sells a 150k ZR1, Dodge sold a 140k ACR and now sell 90k challengers Demons and Hellcats. Toyota can easily sell a 75k Supra if it were a pure in house car. Taking a BMW and doing some suspension tuning and using their switch gear / electronics doesn’t do justice to a company’s halo car.
The issue is those cars outside of the GTR never had to stop production and has continued to be made no matter the state of the economy. Adding to them having years of production and engineering, they can make a new version and keep improving on the last gen. GTR should start at 110k, ZR1 base is 55k, ACR was 88k and the demon/hellcats are 28k and sharing the same engine for the top build, They were given huge modifications on top of a car already completed from the production line, with capable engineers ready to accomodate. It cost them money, but surely not to the extent toyota would need to shell for something brand new.

The last Sports car, if you can call it was a Toyota Celica and finished in 2005. That leaves a 4 year gap where R&D had to start over and train new engineers working on a sports car. Also, this wasn't a redo of the Celica, it was a new platform entirely. Combine with the economy crash and Toyota feeling the full force of the US Supreme court questioning their Quality control was dark times. I'm sure they were frugal and wouldn't make anything unless it prints them money, or someone else supplied the parts and they can just check it. Like the AWD system from Subaru, or the Mazda' skyactiv technology etc... Toyota probably wants to have all this tech and information at their disposal so they don't have to spend on the R&D, just ask their neighbors for help.

Now, I want to see what's to come after this Supra and if it will convince the board to make an in house toyota. Maybe a new gen 2000 GT? That is, if Lexus doesn't have a say in the manner

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see all these claims as if it is fact but I don't see how this is Toyota taking another car and making it their own? The Z4 was revealed and we saw the engine, but Toyota has been very coy and we won't know until later. They did not just pick up the Z4 and say, welp, this is our car now. Toyota is not stupid. They know this is an enthusiasts' car, while attempting to make it easy for the new generation of buyers who couldn't care about what a Supra is. If they knew they were getting shit, they'd call it the GT1 or something else to not soil the Supra name. Recall they announced it this year it would be called a Supra so they must be content with what they could do.

Then again regarding naming, the new mustang is going to be an AWD, so all rules from the past is out the window.

The issue is those cars outside of the GTR never had to stop production and has continued to be made no matter the state of the economy. Adding to them having years of production and engineering, they can make a new version and keep improving on the last gen. GTR should start at 110k, ZR1 base is 55k, ACR was 88k and the demon/hellcats are 28k and sharing the same engine for the top build, They were given huge modifications on top of a car already completed from the production line, with capable engineers ready to accomodate. It cost them money, but surely not to the extent toyota would need to shell for something brand new.

The last Sports car, if you can call it was a Toyota Celica and finished in 2005. That leaves a 4 year gap where R&D had to start over and train new engineers working on a sports car. Also, this wasn't a redo of the Celica, it was a new platform entirely. Combine with the economy crash and Toyota feeling the full force of the US Supreme court questioning their Quality control was dark times. I'm sure they were frugal and wouldn't make anything unless it prints them money, or someone else supplied the parts and they can just check it. Like the AWD system from Subaru, or the Mazda' skyactiv technology etc... Toyota probably wants to have all this tech and information at their disposal so they don't have to spend on the R&D, just ask their neighbors for help.

Now, I want to see what's to come after this Supra and if it will convince the board to make an in house toyota. Maybe a new gen 2000 GT? That is, if Lexus doesn't have a say in the manner
Good points and I agree with you. Toyota went toe to toe with every segment with the domestics and other jap companies but just dropped out of fun stuff. Hey.. you pay for your mistakes and trying an easy way out by borrowing stuff will only lead to the following.

Fast forward to mid 2019.. Toyota will have two sports cars to sell.. none of which have a Toyota heart. Just imagine the market perception of that.. Toyota couldn’t make a fun car so they out sourced them.