Will new Supra have to compete with next Nissan 370Z (300Z?)

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
The Type-R competes with the VW golf gti, renault megane rs , hyundai i30 N, peugeot 308 gti and more hot hatches ( there are a lot) , which means fwd missiles with hatches . The supra , Z , mustang are all rwd sports cars ( current gen mustangs and camaros are sports cars , not a typo) . So the answer is the type R will never compete with the supra and will never influence it in any way.
Sponsored

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
I believe the new Type R is still significant, and hereĀ“s why: The Nurburgring has been very relevant in the MkV development. With the stock Type R pushing 7:43, Toyota will absolutely look for a lower laptime, it would be shameful otherwise. They have targeted Cayman and 911 as an overall package, but they will not allow a Civic to be faster than their "halo" car.
All the better for us :)

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
If the supra is slower in the ring than the type -r , then toyota would have failed hard and i mean very very hard. The type -r never made an impact on the supra and the supra never made an impact to the type -r tho, so the point still stands , they are not direct competitors. The cayman for example was used as a benchmark in many ways , and so are some bmws (m2 , previous z4s maybe) , supra mk iv . The supra i believe is after caymans and F-types , not civics or golfs . There are some exceptions to this as it is natural , for example the focus RS makes 350 hp with, or the audi rs3 (amazing btw check it) which are both awd maybe can be used as benchmarks for some things like HP numbers or pricing or sound.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to interject and say that the Civic Type R is faster around the Nurburgring than both the 718 Cayman S and the BMW M2.

I'd actually be impressed if the Supra is faster than the Civic, that thing is a weapon. :p

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Exactly. ItĀ“s easy to underestimate the ugly fwd Honda, but it flies on the track.
The Supra will be faster, but not by much. IĀ“m guessing 7:39.999

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cool flashback: The 750hp Blitz Supra did 7:49 in 1999.
Tire technology has advanced a bit since then.

m_lge102.jpg

m_lge105.jpg

m_lge113.jpg

m_lge107.jpg

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
While i love the type-r and i would prefer to many awd and rwd cars , i still believe it is not a real competitor to the supra , very different setups.
But yeah the new gens of hot hatches are literally missiles with practicality , i even considered the type -r and the leon cupra for my daily. Anyway i want to believe that the supra will be faster than both the m2 and the type-r , after all its target was the cayman GT4 as i remember correctly.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes i feel the same way and agree with what you said. A shame tho that a sports car is killed , even if you don't like it. For example i never liked the 350z/370z ,the rx 8 and the s2000 , not my cup of tea but i didn't like the news about the death of these cars. Generally speaking having competition in the segment is always good. The Z made the supra better and the supra made the Z better , mercedes with audi and bmw with each gen of cars they improve because of the competition.
I could see Nissan making a "Ultimate Edition" (last year production) of the current Z chassis, just like Toyota did with the FJ Cruiser. Nissan would need to fit the Z with the V6 TT from the Infiniti Q60 and give it about 400HP (not hard to do at all). The current Z (mechanically) is a stout car, just needs a few more goodies to bring it to life. Remember, alot of MKIV and other JDM platforms are using the CD009 6spd from a Z to move their cars....that should say a bit about the drive-train.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
That was the plan for the Z at around 2013 . The Z would get the q60 engine and move a bit upmarket (around 400 hp) but the development halted . The main reason is platform strategy i believe. Generally nissan is strugling with the platforms they can use for rwd , the main reason the Z is axed and the reason they haven't made a silvia yet. God i would love a modern 200sx , 4 cylinder 250 hp light , the car toyota should be benchmarking for the 86.

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
Exactly. ItĀ“s easy to underestimate the ugly fwd Honda, but it flies on the track.
The Supra will be faster, but not by much. IĀ“m guessing 7:39.999
As an owner of one I can say that it not only flies on the track. Its topspeed for example beats many even more powerful cars but of course commonly experiencing that is a German luxury :)

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I could see Nissan making a "Ultimate Edition" (last year production) of the current Z chassis, just like Toyota did with the FJ Cruiser. Nissan would need to fit the Z with the V6 TT from the Infiniti Q60 and give it about 400HP (not hard to do at all). The current Z (mechanically) is a stout car, just needs a few more goodies to bring it to life. Remember, alot of MKIV and other JDM platforms are using the CD009 6spd from a Z to move their cars....that should say a bit about the drive-train.
Last year.. I test drove a sport pkg 17 370Z and a Nismo. Hated the transmission. Passed on the car cause of how it felt.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Last year.. I test drove a sport pkg 17 370Z and a Nismo. Hated the transmission. Passed on the car cause of how it felt.
Canā€™t argue with you there....I sold my 350Z one year in of ownership. If the 370Z gets equipped with a more powerful motor with forced induction, it will do much much better. Hereā€™s hoping for the return of the JDM legends.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Canā€™t argue with you there....I sold my 350Z one year in of ownership. If the 370Z gets equipped with a more powerful motor with forced induction, it will do much much better. Hereā€™s hoping for the return of the JDM legends.
Just one is coming back.. the other is a BMW. :)

Cheers to that!!

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Let's not forget the NSX, the Civic Type R, and the IS300...
Sponsored