Will new Supra have to compete with next Nissan 370Z (300Z?)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The current Z platform is ancient and pretty much no improvements were ever made to it in that timespan either. Clearly they must care very much.
Clearly, that is why a Z to this day with declining sales is still in production IN JAPAN BY NISSAN and preparations are in the works for a Z35?? Ya know, it's funny how people like to make themselves feel better by throwing out the ole' "yeah but the Z and GTR are ancient and no improvements have been made." Lol! Look harder. Yep, clearly they care.

Can't say the same for Toyota now can we? GT-86...botched that up. MKV Supra....pffffft....well, I don't need to go on any further.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Clearly, that is why a Z to this day with declining sales is still in production IN JAPAN BY NISSAN and preparations are in the works for a Z35?? Ya know, it's funny how people like to make themselves feel better by throwing out the ole' "yeah but the Z and GTR are ancient and no improvements have been made." Lol! Look harder. Yep, clearly they care.

Can't say the same for Toyota now can we? GT-86...botched that up. MKV Supra....pffffft....well, I don't need to go on any further.
No one is saying the Z is old to make themselves feel better, they are saying it because the car is in it's 11th model year with the same boring (yes I can call it boring since I DD a 6MT VQ37) drivetrain.

Nissan is flirting a lot with Mercedes so we may see some cross referencing in that regard, not that it matters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
No one is saying the Z is old to make themselves feel better, they are saying it because the car is in it's 11th model year with the same boring (yes I can call it boring since I DD a 6MT VQ37) drivetrain.

Nissan is flirting a lot with Mercedes so we may see some cross referencing in that regard, not that it matters
You can't just call a car boring because it's drivetrain hasn't changed. Many improvements have been made to both the Z car and the GTR, it was clearly stated by the cheif engieers that these two cars would have improvements every year....dramatic or not. Did you know that the Z32 300ZX had the same drivetrain from 1989 to 2000 (1989 to 1996 in the US)??? No one complained about that. Why mess up a good thing? With the GTR, no one dares to speak of its drivetrain being ancient, so they turn to the "looks" of the car....and start criticizing that.

Yes, I agree the two cars are due for a revamp.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
You can't just call a car boring because it's drivetrain hasn't changed. Many improvements have been made to both the Z car and the GTR, it was clearly stated by the cheif engieers that these two cars would have improvements every year....dramatic or not. Did you know that the Z32 300ZX had the same drivetrain from 1989 to 2000 (1989 to 1996 in the US)??? No one complained about that. Why mess up a good thing? With the GTR, no one dares to speak of its drivetrain being ancient, so they turn to the "looks" of the car....and start criticizing that.

Yes, I agree the two cars are due for a revamp.
I didn't call it boring because it hasn't been changed. I called it boring because it's boring. The car makes no power under the curve which makes it feel lazy. Yes it does have decent peak numbers but, with peak torque (of a measly 270 lb-ft) at 5200 and peak power at 7000, The power band is incredibly narrow

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
Unlike Toyota, Nissan cares about itā€™s enthusiasts to continue making a Z car.
Iā€™m glad there is a Z still in production (rather than seeing it discontinued), but cā€™mon, the lack of significant updates in nearly 10 years does not equal caring about its enthusiasts. Itā€™s pretty obvious both the current Z and GTR are on life support.

Donā€™t be surprised of a 3.0 V6TT from an Infiniti Q60 in the next Z.
If a new Z happens, that is exactly the engine I would expect it to have. I just donā€™t expect to see a new Z at all once the Z34 retires. It has been reported that the Renault-Nissan board cancelled the Z35 in January 2018. Sadly, this makes economic sense for Nissan, as sports cars are declining in sales, and they will earn more profit by investing in their SUVs and commercial vehicles, rather than a new sports car. They will likely continue to make the GTR, and even create a new one after 2020, eventually, but the future looks bleaker for Z.

Understand, I like the 370Z, and TBH, if Toyota makes the new Supra an overpriced, underpowered, unreliable Z4 hardtop, I might even consider snapping up one of the last 370Zs for myself, as an affordable, old school, NA 6 cylinder, RWD sports car, and likely a future classic. Iā€™m just realistic about the Zā€™s future, or lack thereof.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Iā€™m glad there is a Z still in production (rather than seeing it discontinued), but cā€™mon, the lack of significant updates in nearly 10 years does not equal caring about its enthusiasts. Itā€™s pretty obvious both the current Z and GTR are on life support.
I agree 100%. Lack of significant upgrades in 11 production years means they are still recouping development costs, this is the caveat to developing a sports car that isnt high volume.

I really have a hard time seeing the 370Z competing with the Supra. Obviously they will be priced differently but the Supra with 50 more HP, 100 more lb-ft (probably even more considering BMW's are underrated from factory), and has a completely different power curve. When I was looking at the 335i and 370z for a weekend car, the 335i was hands down quicker in every regard even though it made more power on paper

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
I really have a hard time seeing the 370Z competing with the Supra. Obviously they will be priced differently but the Supra with 50 more HP, 100 more lb-ft
Iā€™m basing my thoughts off the reported European power levels of 330 HP, which is close to 370Z. I fear that Australia (where I am) may get the lesser Euro power level, rather than the 380 HP the USA is likely to see. Torque is certainly higher thanks to turbo, so it should be quicker to 60/100.

(probably even more considering BMW's are underrated from factory)
I sincerely hope so!

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Iā€™m basing my thoughts off the reported European power levels of 330 HP, which is close to 370Z. I fear that Australia (where I am) may get the lesser Euro power level, rather than the 380 HP the USA is likely to see. Torque is certainly higher thanks to turbo, so it should be quicker to 60/100.

I sincerely hope so!
I dont know much about emissions in Austrailia but Id hope you're not restricted to the same standards as Eu lol. 370z's have a 5.2 0-60 so it will be quicker in that regard as well.

Standard B58s dyno near their published bhp. If the 382hp version dynos near its bhp figure, that is not too far off of Rc-f whp levels even though its rated a 467bhp

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 100%. Lack of significant upgrades in 11 production years means they are still recouping development costs, this is the caveat to developing a sports car that isnt high volume.

I really have a hard time seeing the 370Z competing with the Supra. Obviously they will be priced differently but the Supra with 50 more HP, 100 more lb-ft (probably even more considering BMW's are underrated from factory), and has a completely different power curve. When I was looking at the 335i and 370z for a weekend car, the 335i was hands down quicker in every regard even though it made more power on paper
Nissan still sells plenty of the q60s coupes but I think the upmarket margins are what is keeping those alive in America -- the demand is higher for sports-luxury than outright sports cars so that's the real competitor.

q60's are around the same price point $50+ but took market signals and are also auto-only. It's a competitive package especially in the 400hp red sport trim and knocks on the door of bmw #40i or even M cars but remains a step above the Stinger or american muscle cars. However, Toyota seems to be targeting performance/track freaks with M-cars, vettes, or caymans.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Nissan still sells plenty of the q60s coupes but I think the upmarket margins are what is keeping those alive in America -- the demand is higher for sports-luxury than outright sports cars so that's the real competitor.

q60's are around the same price point $50+ but took market signals and are also auto-only. It's a competitive package especially in the 400hp red sport trim and knocks on the door of bmw #40i or even M cars but remains a step above the Stinger or american muscle cars. However, Toyota seems to be targeting performance/track freaks with M-cars, vettes, or caymans.
I don't really get your point

No doubt the VR30 is a great platform, but I specifically called out the 370z which doesnt have a VR30 (yet).

The Q60 is only 2 years old so I don't know what you mean by "still sells" and "keeping them alive"

Speaking of the Stinger, maybe they will make a coupe (based off the genesis coupe perhaps?) with their 3.3TT. Already the Stinger is a bargain with GT models starting at $38k, so a coupe around the same price range would be a hell of a deal for 365hp

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
Speaking of the Stinger, maybe they will make a coupe (based off the genesis coupe perhaps?) with their 3.3TT.
That would be very nice. The original Stinger concept car was a nice looking coupe, something 86/BRZ sized.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/kia-stinger-sports-car-will-arrive-locally-in-2017-41574

That transformed, via a follow up concept later on, into a larger fastback sedan (which is still nice looking car IMO), but I was disappointed when the original coupe never materialised.

The world needs more coupes, they are dying out and those of us who prefer two doors, and don't need four, are finding our options diminishing with every passing year.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
That would be very nice. The original Stinger concept car was a nice looking coupe, something 86/BRZ sized.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/kia-stinger-sports-car-will-arrive-locally-in-2017-41574

That transformed, via a follow up concept later on, into a larger fastback sedan (which is still nice looking car IMO), but I was disappointed when the original coupe never materialised.

The world needs more coupes, they are dying out and those of us who prefer two doors, and don't need four, are finding our options diminishing with every passing year.
Maybe we will see one from Genesis in the next few years, although their priority is developing an SUV first. Hell, just put the 3.3TT in the facelift genesis coupe and im all for it

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

The Kia Stinger sedan really has more to do with the Kia GT concept from 2011 than the 2 door lift back Kia GT4 Stinger concept.