Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

AL900rrr

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Acura Mdx. 2020 SUPRA GR PREMIUM
Best and cheapest way to end wind buffetting is Fast Freddies mod. No more wind buffetting. Only cost me $2.07 and the double sided tape. Thanks freddie
Sponsored

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
I was watching a video featuring AMS and at the end they mentioned that AMS was working on a solution or part to end the wind buffeting.

I am sure it will be vastly more expensive but if you are looking for a more OEM look (im not sure what their solution looks like, just assuming) then maybe keep an eye out for them

KeshyMKV

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra - 3.0 Premium (On order)
Vehicle Showcase
A776ECDC-3902-40A4-BF12-751A1939692A.jpeg
Does your driver window stop here first? I wonder if it is to help with buffeting but doesnā€™t seem to help anyway.
Yes, mine stops there as well on first auto down.

-V

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
We are doing a stick on approach as I just dont see people paying an arm and a leg for a full mirror mount replacement for the inside

20191017_131545.jpg
20191017_131528.jpg

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Check this out too....

We had some heavy rain here yesterday so we took a moment to use the rain to show why the Buffeting happens traveling at a cool 65mph in a straight line.

Take a look at the way the water flows past the mirror. Notice the pooling by the front bottom of the window. And how water gets sucked back towards the front of the car as well as off the bottom of the mirror to the front bottom corner of the window.

The airflow is created a vortex in that area. Which with both windows down should be why it's so unbearable.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Check this out too....

We had some heavy rain here yesterday so we took a moment to use the rain to show why the Buffeting happens traveling at a cool 65mph in a straight line.

Take a look at the way the water flows past the mirror. Notice the pooling by the front bottom of the window. And how water gets sucked back towards the front of the car as well as off the bottom of the mirror to the front bottom corner of the window.

The airflow is created a vortex in that area. Which with both windows down should be why it's so unbearable.

You will see that on cars without buffeting too -- it's a general recirculation in the gusset area, and it's quasi steady state. It can be fascinating to watch but also a dramatic indicator of drag/loss (since any flow that isn't going straight back is a telltale of parasitic drag).

The buffet problem itself originates around the A-pillar and you won't generally detect that in eyeball flow vis -- it's an unsteady problem and you'd need a strobe or other unsteady method to really see that one. The reason we get the buffeting is because flow detachment around the A-pillar sets up an acoustic feedback loop when it impinges on the B-pillar (or elsewhere).

That a vane on the gusset alleviates this problem should not be taken as an indicator that the gusset is the source, or that separation in that area is the source. It's really apples and eggs, just happens that the apple affects the chicken that laid the egg.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)