Wish List for the new Supra / Must Have Futures and Options!

Would you like to see TRD parts for the Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Someone mentioned that the Supra's options (and presumably packages/trim levels) have yet to be set, which brings up a question - what features and options would you like this car to have?

Top of my list: for the manual transmission - auto rev-matching (with the ability to easily turn it on or off with a simple button press).
Others that I think are needed or desirable:

A "safe sight" package that should at the very least be optional on all trim levels, with parking sensors front and rear, BSM, rear CTA (a backup camera will be mandatory by the time the car hits the market).

Optional adaptive lighting with auto high beam switching, auto leveling, and corner rotation.

An optional all-digital dash, hi-res and totally configurable (oil temp and pressure gauges, PLEASE! and tire pressures if possible) that can also show nav map (see: Audi TT).

Optional HUD, colour, set to far focus distance so it's instantly readable while driving (see: Camaro SS), configurable to show tach/shift light bar.

Optional multi-mode exhaust (Settings: moderate, loud, outrageous)

Width-adjustable seat bolstering, seat and back.

MagneRide-type EM dampers with at least 3 basic modes: comfort, sport, track; and perhaps an auto mode.

Preset driving modes (at least 3) that should adjust damper settings, traction and stability control levels, steering weight, throttle mappings, exhaust levels; also an individual setting allowing driver to mix and match parameter levels. Drift mode for oversteering hoonery?

Front and rear camber as well as caster adjustment possible without add-ons.

Finally : (yes, I realize this is never going to happen) a space-saver spare that is big enough to fit over the rear brakes (you can always move a back wheel to the front if a front tire goes).​
Sponsored

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
I want some kind of differential or TVD, more upscale interior, driver oriented dash design, and Toyota reliability.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
HUD, LCD gauges, Qi charging, column mounted paddle shifters (if no stick), retractable wing, targa and most importantly a dipstick :)

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I pretty much want an FT1. Active deployable wing, big diffuser, paddle shift dual clutch, etc.

As far as just individual options, performance options, creature comforts:
1) keyless entry/pushbutton start (IMO should be standard on everything)
2) carbon ceramics with a reasonable pricetag
3) large gas tank option (fat chance)
4) Michelin PS4S or possibly Cups
5) power outlets/USB for phone, radar detector, etc.
6) Sunroof delete

Not must-have, but I'd buy if offered:
7) heated seat & heated wheel
8) some sort of nice sound system, levinson, etc.
But knowing Toyota those things would probably be part of some big expensive package of crap so I'd probably pass.

Should have but I know they won't:
9) Android auto & apple carplay

I don't mind paying more money for more performance, but stuff like active headlights really just ups the price more than anything IMO. Electric million-way adjustable seats add a lot of weight. I would rather a pump and can of fix a flat than a spare tire. Adjustable suspension also not super appealing to me since I tend to just leave stuff like that in one setting, would not tick that option on an M4, for example. I am also not a fan of the HUDs that I've used.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ With you on the HUD to some extent - found it distracting when driving a Camaro, and turned it off - but you might get used to it over time.

Fix-a-flat is useless if your tire takes any significant damage beyond a small nail puncture, I'll take the weight penalty for the peace of mind.

Adaptive suspension can get you two cars for the price of one if it's set up properly - look at the Civic Type R, eats the track for breakfast but can still be a comfortable cruiser. If I'm paying big money I want it all.

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I personally think the options list will look as exhaustive as this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 6.21.17 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 6.21.29 PM.jpg

It'll just say Toyota instead of BMW lol. Oh, and sans Dual Clutch of course :D:D:D

Joking aside, I just want Android Auto. Maybe some MR dampers, if they're well set up like the Alfa Guilia QV. Couldn't care less about anything else.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Lots of features & options are great for the mass, but I'm hoping for a base or strip down model for the enthusiast.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
one suspension tune
one steering tune
one exhaust tune
active rear wing
clutch type LSD
optional lightweight buckets
auto lights and wipers sat nav blah blah
heated seats option
6MT option
big brakes (350mm+)
flat undertray
GT3 option (weight diet, fixed back seats, no radio or aircon, fixed wing)
fully tunable ECU
HUD
instrumentaton to include boost, oil press, oil temp, coolant temp, voltage
7000rpm+ redline pls

NYC_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
*allow the buyer to spec out individual car to their liking vs. the dealer just checking off every box to max out price

*Mechanical LSD
*Allow all of the driver aiding, fun robbing tech to be easily disabled. (One button)
*Do not artificially weight steering

*If there are different driving modes (dampers, steering etc.) allow individual control so all options are always available
*I’m a big fan of an active exhaust provided it does not add significant weight

*Put some high quality lightweight Rays wheels on this car (as Toyota does in racing) or at least make them an option

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
With the R&D costs they've incurred, Toyota will want to sell as many Supras as it can - there is no way they are going to limit their market by not making some "luxury" and safety options available, or by going with a unimodal suspension (except as an option or special edition). Hell even a Civic SI has a standard adaptive suspension now.

Toyota will court two target markets by offering an array of Supra configurations: the "purist" sportscar buyer, and the GT/cruiser crowd.

A-I

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkIV TT 6-speed (sold), EVO6 RSII (sold), Audi S4 (current)
With the Toyota lead on the MkV mentioning that there is no strong will of desire to provide a manual gearbox option for the Supra, is he forgetting what the core ingredients are that make up this legend (to use their term) ?

Core ingredients for me as to what made the Supra MkIV a legend are listed below:
- High powered RWD
- LSD
- Manual gearbox
- driver focused cabin
- sports GT (capable/practical long distance and also capable track car)
- slick GT coupe styling
- quick revving 6-cylinder turbo engine (3L)
- ability to tune
- engineered for reliability

If the MkV is able to improve on those core ingredients then I would assume the next Supra will be a resounding success with existing MkIV owners and the wider market.

However by dropping any of those core ingredients would also drop a lot of interest from potential customers would you say?
The Supra would likely not be an evolution over the previous car, rather it would become just another corporate show-piece for meaningless 0-60 times. Yes/no ?

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I like your list as requirements for the new car, but from what we know already, the "practical" bit is history - the car is smaller than the MkIV, and in photos the hatch storage looks to be no better than that of the 370Z.

Some may feel that at 330-350 hp the high-powered aspect will be missing as well, but personally I am looking for a reasonably-powered and -priced Supra. Going for 450 hp at a $55-60k USD price point might generate more profit per unit for Toyota but it will kill volume - that power level comes much more cheaply from American muscle, and Toyota does not have the brand cachet to charge fat premiums over the domestic competition. They tried that with the TT, and we know how well that went.

Last edited:

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
The new M2 competition in manual is looking like a better proposition than the new Supra...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.