Wouldnt Rev after starting

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
It’d be one thing if it was 30 secs, but if YOU read what people are saying it’s after the car was idling for several mins.
Look if it’s normal it’s normal. I’m fine w that. But the manual explanation doesn’t fit what’s happening. Nobody is starting the car and trying to redline it (at least im not lol) Starting the car letting it idle to temp and it still won’t rev? That’s not weird to you? It’s a bmw thing?

Sounds like a whole lot of assumption from everybody, I just wish we could figure out some clarification.
Read what it says, not what you want it to say. People are revving right after starting. Thread is full of it. Here's your explanation. How more clear do you need it to be?

And people shouldn't let a car idle to warm anyway, but that's a whole other topic.
Sponsored

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Read what it says, not what you want it to say. People are revving right after starting. Thread is full of it. Here's your explanation. How more clear do you need it to be?

And people shouldn't let a car idle to warm anyway, but that's a whole other topic.
Ok, read what I said where I let the car warm up much longer than 30 secs. Several mins in fact. Not able to rev. It was cold outside but the engine was not at that point.

I’m not trying to argue, trying to get clarification. Maybe draw it out in crayon for me since I’m obviously missing the point in the “may not have power for 30 secs” stipulation, when I waited much longer. Trust me I just want the car to be fine.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok, read what I said where I let the car warm up much longer than 30 secs. Several mins in fact. Not able to rev. It was cold outside but the engine was not at that point.

I’m not trying to argue, trying to get clarification. Maybe draw it out in crayon for me since I’m obviously missing the point in the “may not have power for 30 secs” stipulation, when I waited much longer. Trust me I just want the car to be fine.
I didn't engineer the thing, so I don't know what parameters it needs to release the rev limiter, but it's right there in the manual. I don't know what else to say lol.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Dude, it’s not a cold start issue.

ive been able to replicate this issue in a variety of different conditions, recently after I drove the car hard for an hour, when the temp was 60 degrees outside, 70 degrees, and when it was cold outside. It’s literally random and HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COLD START PROTECTION. Even when the car goes into gear, literally no power for 3-5 seconds before it kicks in. That’s not cold start protection, that’s a defect.

and no, I’m not revving the car within 30 seconds after startup as per BMW picture you posted. this happens randomly even after the car is warm and started up for several minutes.

We’ve got about a dozen people here complaining about the exact same issue on their brand new cars, how in the hell do we start getting Toyota’s attention to address this issue?

im Not taking this to the dealer again. Even if they replicate the issue they are going to tear my brand new car apart trying to figure out the issue, which they will never figure out. No thanks!

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
One more thing to add — for those experiencing this issue, if you have not already done so, call Toyota corporate and OPEN A COMPLAINT TICKET. Save the number for future reference. That’s probably the only way we can get Toyota’s attention, assuming they don’t have someone browsing Internet forums looking for consumer complaints around quality issues.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dude, it’s not a cold start issue.

ive been able to replicate this issue in a variety of different conditions, recently after I drove the car hard for an hour, when the temp was 60 degrees outside, 70 degrees, and when it was cold outside. It’s literally random and HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COLD START PROTECTION. Even when the car goes into gear, literally no power for 3-5 seconds before it kicks in. That’s not cold start protection, that’s a defect.

and no, I’m not revving the car within 30 seconds after startup as per BMW picture you posted. this happens randomly even after the car is warm and started up for several minutes.

We’ve got about a dozen people here complaining about the exact same issue on their brand new cars, how in the hell do we start getting Toyota’s attention to address this issue?

im Not taking this to the dealer again. Even if they replicate the issue they are going to tear my brand new car apart trying to figure out the issue, which they will never figure out. No thanks!
One more thing to add — for those experiencing this issue, if you have not already done so, call Toyota corporate and OPEN A COMPLAINT TICKET. Save the number for future reference. That’s probably the only way we can get Toyota’s attention, assuming they don’t have someone browsing Internet forums looking for consumer complaints around quality issues.
"DEPENDING THE ENGINE CONDITION" It doesn't say cold start, that was a(n) (logical) assumption.

Read what it says. I magnified it for you.

Maybe it's to let oil or coolant circulate, who knows. Like I said, I didn't engineer it so I don't know the parameters. But obviously you do :rolleyes:
You can open a million tickets, it's in the manual, and therefore a properly designed function. Not a defect.

Attachments

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
"DEPENDING THE ENGINE CONDITION" It doesn't say cold start, that was a(n) (logical) assumption.

Maybe it's to let oil or coolant circulate, who knows. Like I said, I didn't engineer it so I don't know the parameters. But obviously you do :rolleyes:
You can open a million tickets, it's in the manual, and therefore a properly designed function. Not a defect.
I need to check my user manual for that for my 2020. I have never experienced this problem.

I could see toyota/bmw limiting the power and rpms if the engine was cold and not started for over 12 hours. What I don't think would be normal is if the engine was at operating temperature already then starting the car and having no power. There would be zero reason for that. The oil is hot and thin so it will get to all needed lubrication areas very quickly.

Coolant flow I'd highly doubt that being a reason to keep the car from reving. Flow would be established in the critical areas of the engine within 1-2 seconds. Also I would think if it had some sort of mechanical failure for coolant flow it would pop up a code.

What I would be interested to see is what all the sensors are reading before starting and during running to see if anything is reading out of parameter. Also knowing what electronic control modules are tied together that manipulate your fuel and spark timing.

I'm not a b58 engine expert, but I do work on heavy equipment that cost more than 100 times the price of this car. It's amazing what one bad sensor, one bad connection, or improper ecu configuration can do.

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra

Ah now I’m seeing what you’re talking about.
Lofl. You’re literally going to bat on ambiguity on behalf of Toyota. You don’t know the engine condition they require. Your assumption is as good as anybody else’s. You’re taking liberties with their verbiage. Dude. Wow.

It’s a problem that at the very least needs clarity.

Cold start, warm start, issues abound. Lame.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I need to check my user manual for that for my 2020. I have never experienced this problem.

I could see toyota/bmw limiting the power and rpms if the engine was cold and not started for over 12 hours. What I don't think would be normal is if the engine was at operating temperature already then starting the car and having no power. There would be zero reason for that. The oil is hot and thin so it will get to all needed lubrication areas very quickly.

Coolant flow I'd highly doubt that being a reason to keep the car from reving. Flow would be established in the critical areas of the engine within 1-2 seconds. Also I would think if it had some sort of mechanical failure for coolant flow it would pop up a code.

What I would be interested to see is what all the sensors are reading before starting and during running to see if anything is reading out of parameter. Also knowing what electronic control modules are tied together that manipulate your fuel and spark timing.

I'm not a b58 engine expert, but I do work on heavy equipment that cost more than 100 times the price of this car. It's amazing what one bad sensor, one bad connection, or improper ecu configuration can do.
Page 40 (in my 2021 manual)
Ah now I’m seeing what you’re talking about.
Lofl. You’re literally going to bat on ambiguity on behalf of Toyota. You don’t know the engine condition they require. Your assumption is as good as anybody else’s. You’re taking liberties with their verbiage. Dude. Wow.

It’s a problem that at the very least needs clarity.

Cold start, warm start, issues abound. Lame.
Jesus Christ you're thick.... How much more clarity than written in a manual do you need??? A phone call from Munich? FFS. Be happy your car works as it should.

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Page 40 (in my 2021 manual)

Jesus Christ you're thick.... How much more clarity than written in a manual do you need??? A phone call from Munich? FFS. Be happy your car works as it should.
Yeah it’s everybody else misconstruing the two sentences in the manual you take as end all be all.. Jesus.
Done w you. You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. You’re happy with your car. Move on and stop contributing when you have nothing to add.
Let the rest of the adults talk it out and get clarity.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah it’s everybody else misconstruing the two sentences in the manual you take as end all be all.. Jesus.
Done w you. You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. You’re happy with your car. Move on and stop contributing when you have nothing to add.
Let the rest of the adults talk it out and get clarity.
Lol ok. Let us know how it goes with those tickets to Toyota :rofl:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Happened to me twice. Seems random

BUT, each time i had been working on something with either hood open for long time or drivers door open long time.

My older m3 i still have is really picking about hood open etc

Some old BMW code floating in there i am guessing

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I do not want to become part of this argument and I have not experienced this on my 2021 yet. Only had it a few weeks though. However, I'm curious. Is this a problem only in that we are not able to rev the engine while sitting in park (or neutral as well I assume) or is anyone experiencing problems where you can't get any power once under way?

For me personally, I never have and can't think of a reason I would ever want to start my car and immediately rev the engine. Cold start, warm start, makes no difference. Just not something I would ever do. I think it's entirely possible if my car's ECU was doing what the manual says, I would not notice it. I start the car in my garage. It idles for a few seconds while I put on the seatbelt, get car play going, etc. and then I slowly (often just on idle power or at most barely any gas) back out and down the driveway. It's then another probably 30 or 45 seconds of slow acceleration out the to the main road. The car has probably been running for two minutes or so before I really have to give much gas at all. By that time even if this "protective program" had been running it should have ended and I probably wouldn't realize it was happening. However, if I had no power and it wouldn't rev once I needed to get on the main road and into traffic, that would be a major issue. Has anyone had such an issue?
Sponsored