Wouldnt Rev after starting

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Ah, you mean the problem that isn't a problem? That one? Some might consider that misinformation :dunno:

They all fit my solution. The manual says depending on engine condition after start-up. Which is what happened to everyone in this thread. So tell me again how I'm wrong. How about you be the adult, and just admit you're wrong, and realize you don't have a clue. And just be happy your car is fine.
Sure thing bud. My car definitely didnā€™t get started and sit for several MINUTES. Notice I said minutes, not seconds. Maybe thatā€™s the part your missing on repeat.

Also like I said Iā€™m more than happy to figure out what actually causes the event to happen and what clears it up. Weā€™re all having a discussion of what weā€™re seeing and trying to figure it out. Youā€™re solution isnā€™t a the solution to my or others scenarios.
Letā€™s just say there could be more than one answer here.
Problem or none. Let us discuss it.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Dude right? This shit is so fucking dumb.
Then STFU lol. You're keeping this going. It's right there in front of you, on the page, in the manual. But you insist that it's not the case. You keep saying you're done, but you keep going. I'll say it a third time.... be happy your car is working as it should.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ah, you mean the problem that isn't a problem? That one? Some might consider that misinformation :dunno:

They all fit my solution. The manual says depending on engine condition after start-up. Which is what happened to everyone in this thread. So tell me again how I'm wrong. How about you be the adult, and just admit you're wrong, and realize you don't have a clue. And just be happy your car is fine.
Nope, mine did it twice in Drive with engine at optimal temp, no power at all for 2-3 seconds and then it came alive. Cold engine protection doesnt make any sense.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nope, mine did it twice in Drive with engine at optimal temp, no power at all for 2-3 seconds and then it came alive. Cold engine protection doesnt make any sense.
It doesn't say cold engine. That was just a possibility. It says "engine condition" could be anything.

whittib

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 IS250 2018 Highlander
It seems like there could be more than one concern that people are bringing up.

1. @Dannyvandelft shared the manual and if your concern is with in 30 seconds or so after starting up then donā€™t worry , your car is normal.

2. If your concern happens randomly after a lot longer than 30 seconds or at a red light or something then maybe itā€™s an issue, so please only bring up these specific issues.

hopefully everyone is hearing the same thing...:imnew:

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
Yes it will have ended by then. I felt this "issue" not too long ago. As I backed out my driveway onto the road. By the time I reached the first intersection 500 ft from my house, it was driving normal.
To know how it was behaving for you were the 500ft it first drove felt like it was in limp mode during that time?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To know how it was behaving for you were the 500ft it first drove felt like it was in limp mode during that time?
It's a similar feeling, but without all the lights on the dash etc. The engine protection has a similar function in both cases so it's only natural it feels the same. Difference is that limp mode is to be able to drive a malfunctioning car home or to a shop, whereas this is to protect the engine until certain conditions are met and you get full power and rev range. That's all it is. A protection system for the engine. What all triggers it, I don't know. I just know it's in the manual and therefore a properly functioning part of the car.

I started the car, noticed the hesitation to rev, backed out the driveway, when I went in D, I felt the reduced power. I had to push the throttle in a little further than normal to get acceleration. Sat at the light for a little bit, and when the light went green, all was normal.

When I came home, instead of freaking out, did some research, read the manual, did some Googling, and saw it was perfectly normal lol.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
It's a similar feeling, but without all the lights on the dash etc. The engine protection has a similar function in both cases so it's only natural it feels the same. Difference is that limp mode is to be able to drive a malfunctioning car home or to a shop, whereas this is to protect the engine until certain conditions are met and you get full power and rev range. That's all it is. A protection system for the engine. What all triggers it, I don't know. I just know it's in the manual and therefore a properly functioning part of the car.

I started the car, noticed the hesitation to rev, backed out the driveway, when I went in D, I felt the reduced power. I had to push the throttle in a little further than normal to get acceleration. Sat at the light for a little bit, and when the light went green, all was normal.

When I came home, instead of freaking out, did some research, read the manual, did some Googling, and saw it was perfectly normal lol.
That's what kind of worries me on a new car. I had gone into limp mode once when my maf plug had a crap connection on my Z4. (That particular maf had been unplugged and plugged back in a lot before then with work being done and after that was replaced) The time it happened I was pulling out of work onto a street where if I didn't leave the space from on coming traffic I had I would have been T-boned, luckily there was a center turn off lane I was able to get in to and pull back in to work. For me though I hadn't started off low revs it popped to limp mode as I was pulling out of the drive way from work. If this is happening when the ecu doesn't see it's at "normal" conditions the potential for this to sporadically happen during the life of the car is rather concerning. I've said it many times over the last several years the more and more issues cars and car makers are having is with too many electronics and too much tech. Building a Factory 5 Cobra kit is becoming more and more tempting, though I still do want to get a MKV, but it's still least a year out for me.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I've said it many times over the last several years the more and more issues cars and car makers are having is with too many electronics and too much tech
Yep. That horse left the barn about 30 years ago. It's worse with the BMWs, honestly.

One source of these problems is BMWs prioritization of revenue over engineering stability. Most of these cars are built with options that are subsequently disabled in software. BMW then tries to extract additional revenue to activate these, either at time of purchase or via post-sale subscription services.

BMW then builds protections via software to prevent unauthorized activation of these features. The end result is needlessly complex software that isn't 100% reliable. The recent Carplay outage is an excellent example of this. Another example is the features here - mirror folding, door locking, autoheadlights, etc. - aren't available on all BMW models, only the higher-cost trim lines.

They also make this software so a single vehicle is world-wide-complient; the software can contain dozens of options to meet regs in nearly 200 countries. I'm betting the "cold-start" protection discussed in this thread fits in this category. Somebody somewhere requires this via regulation. This is astounding complexity, and I doubt even the BMW engineers are 100% aware of how it all functions.

If BMW prioritized reliability instead, you wouldn't have many of these problems. The revenue-based decisions are particularly short-sighted on BMW's part, in my opinion.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
Yep. That horse left the barn about 30 years ago. It's worse with the BMWs, honestly.

One source of these problems is BMWs prioritization of revenue over engineering stability. Most of these cars are built with options that are subsequently disabled in software. BMW then tries to extract additional revenue to activate these, either at time of purchase or via post-sale subscription services.

BMW then builds protections via software to prevent unauthorized activation of these features. The end result is needlessly complex software that isn't 100% reliable. The recent Carplay outage is an excellent example of this. Another example is the features here - mirror folding, door locking, autoheadlights, etc. - aren't available on all BMW models, only the higher-cost trim lines.

They also make this software so a single vehicle is world-wide-complient; the software can contain dozens of options to meet regs in nearly 200 countries. I'm betting the "cold-start" protection discussed in this thread fits in this category. Somebody somewhere requires this via regulation. This is astounding complexity, and I doubt even the BMW engineers are 100% aware of how it all functions.

If BMW prioritized reliability instead, you wouldn't have many of these problems. The revenue-based decisions are particularly short-sighted on BMW's part, in my opinion.
I would agree with post 2009 when people, here especially say "BMW" I honestly had more issues with my MK3 in 6 years of having it than my z4 in the 10 years and counting with it. Most of the maintenance issues or sensors in my z4 are some of the same issues with our 2000 wrangler for example. Just replaced the crankshaft pos sensor on the wrangler few days ago even, haven't had to yet on my z4.

I think as soon as BMW went forced induction to cope with the ever changing world of fuel economy is where you see a lot of the stuff going on today happening. Also when consumers "want" more tech for "convenience" and car manufactures oblige that's when the "wrench" is thrown into the works. I think it's fair to say that Every car maker has had issues with pairing a phone up.

Working in retail for 15 years taught me no matter what a customer says they "want" there are plenty that find out they actually wanted something totally different, and end up bringing back the first purchase or buying something else after totally different. Before adaptive suspension how many out there didn't realize how firm and uncomfortable daily, sport suspension can be?

I love a doc I watched on the autobahn where a guy made the statement he didn't understand why anyone would want a cup holder in a car, car's are meant to be driven not eaten or drinking in he said. I whole heartedly agree there. There's even a thread on the uk Z4 forum I first joined that had the "pet peeve" list, among some were to the passenger please don't close the door by pushing the glass, but my favorite was "Zed (the way "Z" is pronounced in uk/au) can go 400 miles without drinking, so can you" to the passenger

I will give you this they do "over engineer" the first code my z4 ever threw was translated to O2 sensor "aging" not that it's bad just that it's old. And it was the easiest thing in the world to replace on my own. My MAF issue I stated above was due to the plastic retaining tab being broken on the MAF housing done at my own expense with it being cold plastic when I pulled it off originally when doing work on it, so the plug jiggling loose was really my own fault for the limp mode that I had talked about.

As a precaution prior to having the ESS kit put on I started going through wearables that I wanted to rule out failure on after going from N/A to F/I on it, so lots have been replaced or updated there, but that's a good rule of thumb to do anyway since you're in there modifying.

It's also a sad note that even talking to techs at bmw dealers that have been there for decades several times have said how the market and owners now are buying for the roundel rather than wanting "the ultimate driving machine" and it's what consumers say they want that's driving them away from focusing on the real important bits of the car.

I know bit off topic, but for any interested this was the tour of the Spartanburg SC plant the E85Z4s came out that National Geographic did on the production of the Z4

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
You guys are trash talking BMW as if it's the only OEM out there that does this... Not even top dog Mercedes or safety-freak Volvo is free of electronic issues...

The reliability list below is to be taken with a grain of salt or dissected for electronics, yet overall it paints a picture..
Are we okay with the status-quo? For sure not, but it's the new "norm" in electronics era...
If no major f'ups, release vehicle/hardware/software to public and move on to the next project. That's reality.. Only way to fix that is by taking longer to vet everything for every possible scenario or change model cycle from 3-5 to 10 years and you'll sort out all issues...
That being said, for sure some models were/are prone to more failures and that's for sure a shame for company culture.

1608311672203.png

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-the-most-reliable-new-car-brand-for-2020-430315/
Sponsored