Yet another oil thread

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
The US is also the only region where 0w-20 is specified for the B58, everyone else gets 5w-30 I believe. It’s pretty obvious the 0w-20 recommendation is for US emissions reasons only, not for the health of the engine.
Not correct, 0W-20 is the only oil approved/used by dealerships in Europe and also what is recommended in the manual from Toyota Europe.
It is not solely a US emission thing.
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
The B58 turbo consumes oil. The 2020s burn only a minimal amount but they do consume. If people check their oil level with an OBD app you will see the oil level move between oil change intervals.

The claim that they dont consume a drop of oil is BS. You can burn up to half of quart before the iDrive system detects it.

The 2021s consume more oil than the 2020s. I wouldn’t dare go 10k miles on the 6-port between oil changes.

If you’re tuned expect to consume more oil between intervals.

I would recommend changing the oil every 3-5K miles. People seem to love the 2 free oil changes that Toyota offers. I personally threw them in the trash and dont let the dealerships touch my car.

There is nothing wrong with using the GR 0w-20 oil but only if you’re not tuned, daily your car and dont see weather temps above 75’F. Otherwise use the Liqui moly 5w-30. Its a solid choice with plenty of oil analysis reports to prove it.

-RJM

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The B58 turbo consumes oil. The 2020s burn only a minimal amount but they do consume. If people check their oil level with an OBD app you will see the oil level move between oil change intervals.

The claim that they dont consume a drop of oil is BS. You can burn up to half of quart before the iDrive system detects it.

The 2021s consume more oil than the 2020s. I wouldn’t dare go 10k miles on the 6-port between oil changes.

If you’re tuned expect to consume more oil between intervals.

I would recommend changing the oil every 3-5K miles. People seem to love the 2 free oil changes that Toyota offers. I personally threw them in the trash and dont let the dealerships touch my car.

There is nothing wrong with using the GR 0w-20 oil but only if you’re not tuned, daily your car and dont see weather temps above 75’F. Otherwise use the Liqui moly 5w-30. Its a solid choice with plenty of oil analysis reports to prove it.

-RJM
Yes this.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
There is nothing wrong with using the GR 0w-20 oil but only if you’re not tuned, daily your car and dont see weather temps above 75’F.

-RJM
Seems a bit over the top here? Only that one B58 owner in the Arctic Circle is safe! ;) Pretty much every where else on the planet exceeds 75 degrees at least some times. I am not tuned but I do daily my car in temps that occasionally approach 100 degrees. I also run something like 15 autocrosses per season and run it full throttle quite often on the street (when no other traffic around). I'm using Castrol Edge 0W20 and not worried at all.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Funny I got a buddy just beginning his journey with oil consumption. I tried epxlaining the quirks of the oil level sensor and iDrive measuring but he has a thick skull.

I sure wish iDrive was just accurate, or more granular when showing your oil level. Whipping out my phone everytime to check is getting annoying. I also notice the "min recognized level" value floats a lot higher than the raw values do even when stopped and relatively cool. I am sitting around 85-86mm raw value but still reading 81mm in raw value.

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I have a 2020 premium 3.0, I just changed oil and figured I would test the oil measurement system. I drained everything really well and replaced the oil filter. I then added 6 quarts of oil. Ran the car for 30 minutes and ran the oil quantity test. It showed full oil quantity, Being short .9 quarts I figured it would say I am low or at least below full. For reference I had the brake recall reprogramming done and the car was level. Anyone else see this? Should I add the .9 quart?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I have a 2020 premium 3.0, I just changed oil and figured I would test the oil measurement system. I drained everything really well and replaced the oil filter. I then added 6 quarts of oil. Ran the car for 30 minutes and ran the oil quantity test. It showed full oil quantity, Being short .9 quarts I figured it would say I am low or at least below full. For reference I had the brake recall reprogramming done and the car was level. Anyone else see this? Should I add the .9 quart?
The iDrive system doesn’t register you are actually low until you are greater than 0.75qts burned .

I suggest using a MHD or OBd adapter to measure the value coming from you sensor. See “oil level analysis with ecutek” thread for more information about how to make sense of your raw oil level values.

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The iDrive system doesn’t register you are actually low until you are greater than 0.75qts burned .

I suggest using a MHD or OBd adapter to measure the value coming from you sensor. See “oil level analysis with ecutek” thread for more information about how to make sense of your raw oil level values.
Thanks for the good info! I'll go add my missing .9 quart too.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
First Name
Knick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra White
Maybe pertinent to this thread.. Just changed my oil (liquid moly 0w-20)... However my sticking point was how to get the dang car off the ground easily. Well, I went and bought these ramps off of amazon and they worked like a champ. They have the slight incline so that the car didn't bottom out on, and raised the car about 5.5-ish inches up which was plenty of room to get under and do my thing. Passing along in case anyone else was looking for a ramp solution:

https://www.amazon.com/BISupply-Veh...intenance,+2+Pack&qid=1671474343&s=automotive

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Maybe pertinent to this thread.. Just changed my oil (liquid moly 0w-20)... However my sticking point was how to get the dang car off the ground easily. Well, I went and bought these ramps off of amazon and they worked like a champ. They have the slight incline so that the car didn't bottom out on, and raised the car about 5.5-ish inches up which was plenty of room to get under and do my thing. Passing along in case anyone else was looking for a ramp solution:

https://www.amazon.com/BISupply-Vehicle-Service-Ramp-Set/dp/B07NLJVZ2D/ref=sr_1_2?crid=ABBL66HD8BPW&keywords=BISupply+Vehicle+Service+Ramp+Set+–+6.6in+Car+Lift,+5+Ton+Heavy+Duty+Truck+Ramps+for+Vehicle+Maintenance,+2+Pack&qid=1671474343&s=automotive
Love race ramps! They are a must for any lowered car. Hell, if I ever start working on my car again, I'd get one of those auto lifts. And even those I hear you need ramps to get em started 🤷‍♂️

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Do the oil change at least as often as the manufacturer recommends. If you feel like doing it sooner, do it sooner. If you're really serious, take samples to send to Blackstone. Results will give you your best indication of when to change your oil.
Sponsored