ZL1 Rock Guards - Buy the correct hardware before installing

pittperson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
I put some spacers on and figured I’d do the ZL1 rock guards as well. I was super disappointed, flimsy plastic, wrong screws, bushings too long.

The factory screws have a very coarse thread. The ZL1s are not. The bushing is too long and barely gives you enough thread to work with.

Put one on, immediately removed it due to the cheap quality and threw them all away.

Overpriced junk… in my opinion and experience of course.
Sponsored

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I’m glad to have mine although the hardware could have been better.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I'm kind of nervous now since I just bought a set a few days ago.

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Counterpoint: easy install, make driving in crappy Pittsburgh weather and roads much less stressful for debris and crud, been on over 7 months with no issues.

And saying "threw them away" rather than requested a return makes you seem to be a bit... dramatic?

xyros

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition Supra
I agree. Just received mine and feel like they are just some cheap plastic that's been cut out. Definitely not worth $60! Clearly, they are designed for Chevy build quality /s.

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0
I put some spacers on and figured I’d do the ZL1 rock guards as well. I was super disappointed, flimsy plastic, wrong screws, bushings too long.

The factory screws have a very coarse thread. The ZL1s are not. The bushing is too long and barely gives you enough thread to work with.

Put one on, immediately removed it due to the cheap quality and threw them all away.

Overpriced junk… in my opinion and experience of course.
What do you expect they are there to be hit by rocks so your car paint does not it blends in you can’t even notice them I think you just being picky what do you expect from a rock guard is for protection

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Just received mine and feel like they are just some cheap plastic that's been cut out. Definitely not worth $60!
~ imo the best $60 one could spend ... if they care about their cars paint!
0810DBA3-2367-49D8-A57C-678F3D751FDF.jpeg

Half Vast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner
Overpriced junk…
Respectfully disagree. They do exactly what they're designed to do, stop rocks and other road debris from being thrown into the lower portion of my vehicle. I no longer get dirt caught up in the lower moldings. Mine fit perfectly and blend in with the rest of the car. No one has said to me, "Oh, nice mudflaps you added". To each his own.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
I do agree that the company should be able to figure out the hardware... seems like some people get hardware that fits fine, others don't.

When I get my set I'll be purchasing additional hardware at the same time as recommended on this forum. Shouldn't have to, but oh well. I'd rather not have a headache when I put them on

OP
OP
pittperson

pittperson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
Everyone that has had a good experience, what did your hardware look like? Were the screws identical, albeit longer, than stock, or fine threaded?

I had the wheel off so I wasn’t missing the holes.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Everyone that has had a good experience, what did your hardware look like? Were the screws identical, albeit longer, than stock, or fine threaded?

I had the wheel off so I wasn’t missing the holes.
I don't know what the stock screws specs are. They supply #8-16 x 1.5" with the kit. A lot of people said they needed to purchase #10-16 x 1.5" to fit properly. Some replace this with a stainless hex, instead of the supplied phillips to match OEM and make it easier to access with rear wheel on.

Standoffs supplied are 1/2" x 0.8750". People complain they're too long. Option to cut these shorter, or buy a shorter one from hardware store if you can find it.

See post #49 here … https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ho...ash-guards-front-rear.5190/page-4#post-123417

OP
OP
pittperson

pittperson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
I don't know what the stock screws specs are. They supply #8-16 x 1.5" with the kit. A lot of people said they needed to purchase #10-16 x 1.5" to fit properly. Some replace this with a stainless hex, instead of the supplied phillips to match OEM and make it easier to access with rear wheel on.

Standoffs supplied are 1/2" x 0.8750". People complain they're too long. Option to cut these shorter, or buy a shorter one from hardware store if you can find it.

See post #49 here … https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ho...ash-guards-front-rear.5190/page-4#post-123417
Thanks. Maybe I’ll dig them out of the trash and buy some new hardware. I’ll attribute my comment to spending over an hour on one wheel for now and check back in.
Sponsored