How To Install & Tips For ZL1 Splash Guards (Front & Rear)

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
i just ordered these as I feel its very fooish by the manf of this product to change the drive type to a phillips from the oem hex (also you can access a hex with a open end wrench for easier install without removing the wheel)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BP3HKNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thanks for this tip. I ordered it and found the thread a closer match to the stock screw. Also made it easier to install without removing the wheels. I bought a ratchet tool that helped with the stock screw removal, but the access was already tight. With the positioned guard, the space is further reduced and would have made a Phillips screw replacement tricky.

E066F18A-17E1-4D3B-9B22-9AA26D240A77.jpeg

just installed these. The hardware they ship leaves much to be desired. Standoffs are too tall and the screws are too short to use those as is so I had to trim the standoffs down.
were your standoffs all the same size when received? Mine were, but once positioned I noticed the bottom two sit slightly taller than the fender line, while the top one sits just behind the fender.

6B855FD2-2E33-4B18-B153-4BF992F613B7.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
As reported rear wheel guards ship with No 8 or M4 screws - they never really grip...see pic below. Fat ones came out, skinny ones are what ZL1 supplies.

Picked up No 10 1.5" in black from Ace Car Supply (my guess is they use M5 proprietary trim screws but I couldn't find any). No 12 too big. No. 10 perfect size. 43 cents each. YMMV.
i just ordered these as I feel its very fooish by the manf of this product to change the drive type to a phillips from the oem hex (also you can access a hex with a open end wrench for easier install without removing the wheel)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BP3HKNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
just installed these. The hardware they ship leaves much to be desired. Standoffs are too tall and the screws are too short to use those as is so I had to trim the standoffs down.
Not the end of the world but it would be nice if these we’re dialed in being as it being 6 screws, washers, and standoffs it shouldn’t be that hard to send the correct stuff.
So I'm about to buy these guards. From these posts I'm gathering I need to:

1. Get six #10-16 x 1.5" screws. Can get the Black Oxide Philips Head or the stainless hex linked by supradupra above. Only thing here, they don't offer that stainless screw in a 1.5" on the amazon link
2. Get shorter stand-offs. Perhaps 0.75" instead of 0.8250" (can someone confirm?)

What am I missing? washers?

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I'm about to buy these guards. From these posts I'm gathering I need to:

1. Get six #10-16 x 1.5" screws. Can get the Black Oxide Philips Head or the stainless hex linked by supradupra above. Only thing here, they don't offer that stainless screw in a 1.5" on the amazon link
2. Get shorter stand-offs. Perhaps 0.75" instead of 0.8250" (can someone confirm?)

What am I missing? washers?
Looks like they are out of stock via the Amazon link. Otherwise, they come with a washer head
1FEABC16-34E1-43BA-A929-8D0E921C7928.jpeg

My kit from ZL1 included washers for the rear guards. Just didn’t need them anymore.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
I bought a ratchet tool that helped with the stock screw removal, but the access was already tight. With the positioned guard, the space is further reduced and would have made a Phillips screw replacement tricky.

View attachment 40901
You were able to do the rear without removing the wheel with this tool?

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You were able to do the rear without removing the wheel with this tool?
Yes, it worked really well for stock screw removal. I should clarify - you’ll need a ratchet set that has an 8mm hex head socket. May not be so readily available, I got the last set from my local store.

Alternatively, a stubby ratchet + 1/4 socket worked well for a buddy of mine.

But if you’re not removing the wheels, I do recommend you switch to hex head screws for the guard install, cos the guard sits “on” the fender line. Then even that ratchet wouldn’t fit in for the bottom screw reinstall.

Last edited:

gpcustoms

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Maserati Levante, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Excellent write up and product for the car. Very affordable and serves a purpose. After installing my set I opted to use the originals as patterns and traced them onto some Carbon Fiber flat stock. Identical after trace and adds no additional protection aside from some cosmetics. Not that you would even notice...The stock guards are perfect and need nothing unless you get a tad bored like me:doh: Great product:thumbsup:

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

I installed the rear flaps last night . I made new standoffs with a larger top side the rests against
the flap for more support and washers. As others have noted due to the arch in the fender wall all three are not the same depth(measured with a Vernier ) ,this may lead to the gaps . I have minimal gap. I also used the screws from amazon ,longer and more grip in the thread vs the supplied screws.

Attachments

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
I installed the rear flaps last night . I made new standoffs with a larger top side the rests against
the flap for more support and washers. As others have noted due to the arch in the fender wall all three are not the same depth(measured with a Vernier ) ,this may lead to the gaps . I have minimal gap. I also used the screws from amazon ,longer and more grip in the thread vs the supplied screws.
mine get delivered today. Getting those same screws. What recommendations do you have for someone not making their own standoffs? Buy some shorter standoffs from hardware store?

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
mine get delivered today. Getting those same screws. What recommendations do you have for someone not making their own standoffs? Buy some shorter standoffs from hardware store?
yes check out your hardware store or specialty hardware stores.
I'm a machinist so I have access , your local machine shop could turn some up for you .

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
yes check out your hardware store or specialty hardware stores.
I'm a machinist so I have access , your local machine shop could turn some up for you .
factory ones fit well in any of the 3 screws? Or all need to be shorter?

s1nrgy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 3.0 Supra Premium
Anyone still getting the bad hardware? Mine is supposed to arrive in 2 days.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
They updated the hardware weeks ago so you should be fine.
Sponsored