How To Install & Tips For ZL1 Splash Guards (Front & Rear)

Dunc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsches, Mercedes, toyotas
Vehicle Showcase
here’s the rear hardware I received a few weeks ago. Front are the plastic rivets.

image.jpg
Sponsored

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
they should really go with the hex head and make it a simple install with a open end ratching wrench

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
they should really go with the hex head and make it a simple install with a open end ratching wrench
Or just take the wheel off. It takes like 10 minutes all in to just jack the car up, take off the wheel, and install them.

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
Or just take the wheel off. It takes like 10 minutes all in to just jack the car up, take off the wheel, and install them.

i get it and im not for against doing work but the OEM ones were hex....it always kinda "annoys" me when you see aftermarket simply not just use the same size/tool as the oem...they just needed a longer thread off the OEM spec bolt.....yes i get it that its easy work to jack the car up and take the wheels off but thats work we all have to do because someone didnt think about it or it was to save cost on the bolts for the kits....but you can get the OEM ones out with out taking off the wheels just sayin......

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i get it and im not for against doing work but the OEM ones were hex....it always kinda "annoys" me when you see aftermarket simply not just use the same size/tool as the oem...they just needed a longer thread off the OEM spec bolt.....yes i get it that its easy work to jack the car up and take the wheels off but thats work we all have to do because someone didnt think about it or it was to save cost on the bolts for the kits....but you can get the OEM ones out with out taking off the wheels just sayin......
Yup. You’re totally right. They should match.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Can someone help me?

I just spent all day trying to put the rear ones in with and without taking off tires but the spacers just aren't fitting into the middle and bottom sockets! I'm so frustrated and they are in without the spacers right now... Tips anyone? Thank you ?
i managed to get them in place without removing the wheels, and I did them from top to bottom. Someone else here recommended starting from the bottom, cos you can swing the guards out easily while the space is more confined at the bottom.

How exactly are the spacers not fitting for your install? Are you struggling to get the spacers flat against the fender liner surface?

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I swear I am cursed and what should be really easy jobs always find some way to make themselves difficult. Possibly got defective hardware for the rear splash guards.

FRONTS:
With the fronts, the holes in them seemed like they barely lined up. The provided fasteners would not lock, at least with the amount of hammer I was willing to apply to the pin. Rubber mallet didn't do jack shit, and finally tried a small hammer with tiny taps, still couldn't get the pin to go into the fastener. Wasn't willing to go any harder with the hammer, so decided to get different fasteners.

Eventually ordered some other fasteners someone had linked in one of the threads. These:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6LDVXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit fine, almost wished they were tighter but overall they had a firm hold and seemed fine. Easy to install for sure. Main issue was the weird gray/black color on them. Didn't match the rest of the wheel well black plastic very well.

Ordered the same fasteners, but proper black color to match.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZ7F194/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now the fun begins: tried to take the old fasteners out, which have a plastic screw that goes into them. Majority of them wouldn't actually "screw" back out and just spin. Awesome. Tried to pry under the screw head with a pointy trim tool while screwing them out. Worked for a couple, but others just ended up stripping out the plastic screw head. Eventually had to basically pry/rip out those and was worried about the amount of pressure I was putting on the fenders doing so.

Note to self: purchase a small hacksaw - I should have just cut them off and pushed the remaining fastener into the hole (similar to the OEM fasteners where you push the pin through)

Anyways, after this, I put in the replacements. They match and look good. Hopefully never need to remove them.

REAR:
Left the wheels on, which definitely does make it hard to work on, but I was expecting this. Used a low profile, 90 degree screw driver.

I spray painted the spacers black ahead of time to make any visible part of them blend better. This worked pretty well.

I also spray painted the tops of the screws black. This was a good choice, they blend much better.

I did find that the holes on one of my rear splash guards seemed to be completely off. Like, at least a quarter inch off. I had to cut larger holes to get it to actually fit.

Eventually got everything on though, and looks pretty good. Minimal gaps on the rear guards. Not sure why the included fasteners gave me so much trouble while they seemed to just work fine for other folks.

Gothy666

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
I installed these yesterday without any issue, except I too had to trim the the bottom standoffs for thr rear. No biggie, took 10 mins with a Dremel tool. Those rivet push pins are no joke though, I had to use a tiny hammer to get the pins to go in. 😄 Overall, very happy with the look and I think they'll be very functional.

mr_sparkle6666

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Those rivet push pins are no joke though, I had to use a tiny hammer to get the pins to go in.
I just did this and struggled intensely getting these rivets in. They kept bending. What I ended up doing and I would recommend to anyone doing this in the future is take a pair of pliers and grip the outer 1/4 of the rivet and push it in. They popped right in for me then just tap them in flush.
And whoever recommended the little micro driver to do the rears without removing the wheels, thank you. That made it super easy

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
And whoever recommended the little micro driver to do the rears without removing the wheels, thank you. That made it super easy
It also takes 10 minutes to take off the rear wheels.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I just did this and struggled intensely getting these rivets in. They kept bending. What I ended up doing and I would recommend to anyone doing this in the future is take a pair of pliers and grip the outer 1/4 of the rivet and push it in. They popped right in for me then just tap them in flush.
~ after frustration with the plastic pins… I went to the local hardware store and purchased black metal pins.

Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium in Phantom Matte Grey
"I did find that the holes on one of my rear splash guards seemed to be completely off. Like, at least a quarter inch off. I had to cut larger holes to get it to actually fit."
[/QUOTE]

I had the same issue on the rear, both sides, seemed like the holes are not in the right spot and the bottom two stand offs and screws are at an angle from the rock guard to the holes in the wheel well. I didn't enlarge the hole as the supplied screws (new version) have fairly small heads and the washers are
very small, so enlarged holes would mean the screw heads could rip right through. Also the supplied screws although now the right thickness, go about a half inch shorter distance into the wheel well holes than the stock screws did, the amount of screw in the hole is not a lot, so I don't think they will stay in place long term.

I will have sort out a different solution at some point soon and redo the rear installation.

The front ones worked quite well, why couldn't the rear go as smoothly?

Overall the rock guards are OK and will hopefully stop rock chips but you kinda expect, for the money that you pay for fairly cheap flat plastic, that they at least have figured out the spacer size, screw size and hole placement. If this engineering was done well I would be happy to pay the price. Gaps and screws / standoffs at an angle is not what I expected.

THOOPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20' C43 AMG, 18' Model S, 21' STI, 23' Supra
Anyone buy this kit in 2022? Any issues w/ the hardware still or has it all been resovled by now?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2022
Anyone buy this kit in 2022? Any issues w/ the hardware still or has it all been resovled by now?
Just installed this today on my 22. Same issues as everyone else. I used the old pins whenever I broke/bent the other ones. Barely made it as I was successful on my very last pin. Only had issues with the front driver side, the passenger side was all in one swift go thankfully.
Sponsored