How To: Install Puddle Lights

WisSupra1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Mini R52 SC,17 Ram Rebel,21 Supra Pre 3.0 Matte
Instead of trying to put a scotchlock inside the rubber conduit between the door and the body where the wires flex when the door is opened, I just slid the plastic clip up that connects the door harness to the body so the whole door connector unplugs. Then unclip the round cover on the back side of the connector and slide it off so you can get to the door wires and splice into both power and ground from there.
Prior to using the ground wire, I did check continuity from the various door bolts first and found that some had high resistance. If that's where you want to get your ground, you should check resistance from each to a good ground on the body.

1644765977744.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
After following this write-up I've had some issues with the projector lights. Both the driver and passenger side lights flicker a bit as the door opens and closes, but are fine once the door sits still. I checked the lights with a bench top power supply, and I've triple-checked my splice into the 12v (grey w/ Yellow stripe) on both sides. I've even put an oscilloscope to it without seeing the voltage change at the end of my homemade harness. When I run a run a temporary wire from the window regulator bolt to the battery nuetral the puddle light gets brighter and no longer flickers. This makes me think using the regulator bolts as a ground path is not ideal, anybody else seen this issue or know where I can grab a proper ground in the door wire harness?
Sorry but Iā€™ve never had any issues with my lights after installing it this way. If itā€™s flickering then goes away once the door is fully open it sounds like itā€™s just a connection issue possibly where you tapped into the wiring harness. What kind/size tap did you use?

WisSupra1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Mini R52 SC,17 Ram Rebel,21 Supra Pre 3.0 Matte
If adding a better ground fixes the problem, then the power connection is not the issue. I don't see in the wiring diagram where there is a wired ground connected to the door - each door component has a separate ground in the wiring harness. By using a door bolt, it might be grounding to the body through the hinges. That would explain the varying ground resistance as you move the door. As your hinges wear, the ground might get better. You have a 2022 and JRedMKV's is a 2020.

anuragbethley8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus
Thanks a lot for the thread! I found it very useful. I'm not the handiest person, but I feel now I can install them myself after reading these instructions. It's better to teach an individual how to fish than simply selling him a couple of them. I wonder if you could give me some useful advice about these led strip lights https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/. Is it possible I use them instead of those you've bought from Amazon? I will highly appreciate any help you could provide!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a lot for the thread! I found it very useful. I'm not the handiest person, but I feel now I can install them myself after reading these instructions.
Youā€™re welcome. Glad you found it useful.

brentyloke

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
i attempted to do this today but i only have a solid gray wire not yellow/gray. i tried tapping into it but not getting the light to work, does anyone have thoughts or a wiring diagram

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just double check you have the right wire. Also, depending on your wire taps Iā€™d double check those too because those wires are so fine it might not be making contact inside the wire tap. Also double check your ground wire.

brentyloke

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Just double check you have the right wire. Also, depending on your wire taps Iā€™d double check those too because those wires are so fine it might not be making contact inside the wire tap. Also double check your ground wire.
ill need to wait until a wire diagram becomes available because i double checked the splice and the connection looked fine and i only have one gray wire but it isnt gray/yellow. and i dont know which other wire it could be or ground wire. i signed up for techinfo.toyota and there are no wire diagrams yet.

SupraSa1yan

First Name
SSJBLUE
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 supra 3.0, 21 Taco
ill need to wait until a wire diagram becomes available because i double checked the splice and the connection looked fine and i only have one gray wire but it isnt gray/yellow. and i dont know which other wire it could be or ground wire. i signed up for techinfo.toyota and there are no wire diagrams yet.
Mines also a solid grey wire....did you by chance ever figure this one out?

brentyloke

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Mines also a solid grey wire....did you by chance ever figure this one out?
yeah, itā€™s the grey wire. If it doesnā€™t work then the splice connection isnā€™t good. Itā€™s a tight spot and a thin wire so hard to get a good connection with those vampire clip things. My passenger side sometimes flickers sometimes when door opens and closes but I am never on that side. Other than that it works as expected. Turns on and off with handle lights when door opens and closes. Good luck with install.
Sponsored