OP
APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Any chance the SM-10 will get a satin black production run for the next batch?

Cheers!
There's a very good chance of that, yes! It depends on how and when we produce the wheels. They may arrive with a gap in availability for the third color with 19s arriving first followed by 18s, but from the feedback I've seen so far, Satin Black seems to be the preferred third choice.

-Tom
Sponsored

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Question! So I ran into an unfortunate problem where I may have to replace my stock front calipers.
I'd like to go with AP Racing 9660 kit and have your SM-10 wheels 18x10. I still have stock struts/springs. Do you know if the hat of the AP rotor will change the offset and will I have clearance issues?

OP
OP
APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Question! So I ran into an unfortunate problem where I may have to replace my stock front calipers.
I'd like to go with AP Racing 9660 kit and have your SM-10 wheels 18x10. I still have stock struts/springs. Do you know if the hat of the AP rotor will change the offset and will I have clearance issues?
Sorry, I didn't realize you had also posted here. I need to read my DMs more carefully. The AP kits have identical thicknesses when compared to the stock brake rotors in the section of the hat that the wheels sit on top of. They will not change the "effective" offset of the wheels in any way, positive or negative. This is also the case for Brembo kits from what I've seen and Stoptech.

The one exception that I know of is StopTech's kit (and possibly others) for the Tesla Model 3. Tesla actually uses a different rotor hat thickness for the performance model of this car than the non-performance, but the aftermarket kits don't typically take that change into account. In that case, I believe it does change the effective offset when you go to an aftermarket kit, but that is the one exception I am aware of. The difference is still small, on the order of a few mm I believe.

Our fitments that work with the stock brakes up front with our 18x10 ET30 wheels will also work with the AP kits, but I would recommend a maximum tire section width of 275 if you are looking to avoid running spacers.

-Tom

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Sorry, I didn't realize you had also posted here. I need to read my DMs more carefully. The AP kits have identical thicknesses when compared to the stock brake rotors in the section of the hat that the wheels sit on top of. They will not change the "effective" offset of the wheels in any way, positive or negative. This is also the case for Brembo kits from what I've seen and Stoptech.

The one exception that I know of is StopTech's kit (and possibly others) for the Tesla Model 3. Tesla actually uses a different rotor hat thickness for the performance model of this car than the non-performance, but the aftermarket kits don't typically take that change into account. In that case, I believe it does change the effective offset when you go to an aftermarket kit, but that is the one exception I am aware of. The difference is still small, on the order of a few mm I believe.

Our fitments that work with the stock brakes up front with our 18x10 ET30 wheels will also work with the AP kits, but I would recommend a maximum tire section width of 275 if you are looking to avoid running spacers.

-Tom
Hi Tom - I got the SM10s 18x10 et30 today with 275/40/18 Supercar3 tires. They do look fantastic.
I have an issue - one that was not accounted for from our chats or your fitment site - contact with the spring perch in front. I haven't test fitted the rear, expecting no issues there.

I was hoping to use these for an event this coming Sunday.
What's the recommendation from Apex?

The wheels will still hand rotate after the lugs have been put on.
Photos show how the fit on the car, how the tire and the spring perch are in contact, and where the contact area is on the spring perch.

Attachments

OP
OP
APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Hi Tom - I got the SM10s 18x10 et30 today with 275/40/18 Supercar3 tires. They do look fantastic.
I have an issue - one that was not accounted for from our chats or your fitment site - contact with the spring perch in front. I haven't test fitted the rear, expecting no issues there.

I was hoping to use these for an event this coming Sunday.
What's the recommendation from Apex?

The wheels will still hand rotate after the lugs have been put on.
Photos show how the fit on the car, how the tire and the spring perch are in contact, and where the contact area is on the spring perch.
If the wheel and tire can still rotate with the lugs torqued then a small front spacer (5mm) should be more than sufficient for clearance. I'm surprised that your car requires spacers though since our test set of wheels and tires had 18x10 ET30 front wheels with 275/40-18 Yokohama A052s which should run wider than the Goodyears you have currently. Tire rack lists the tread width of the A052s as 9.8"s while the Goodyears are 9.4"s. We tested the A052s on 4 different cars with stock suspension that I know of without any clearance issues.

Correction: The initial testfits and photoshoots did not identify tight clearances between the 275/40-18 Yokohama A052s and the OE spring perch. A 5mm spacer is recommended for these wheels to prevent rubbing. Confirmed via retest.

As I said earlier, the rotor hat should be the same thickness so I don't think that is the cause of the problem. Regardless, a spacer should resolve the issue for now. If you move to a more compact aftermarket suspension or slightly narrower tires in the future, the spacer will no longer be required.

We may need to update the guide to take this into account, but I find the discrepancy between your car and our test cars quite odd. Is the clearance (or lack thereof) identical on both sides?

-Tom

Last edited:

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
If the wheel and tire can still rotate with the lugs torqued then a small front spacer (5mm) should be more than sufficient for clearance. I'm surprised that your car requires spacers though since our test set of wheels and tires had 18x10 ET30 front wheels with 275/40-18 Yokohama A052s which should run wider than the Goodyears you have currently. Tire rack lists the tread width of the A052s as 9.8"s while the Goodyears are 9.4"s. We tested the A052s on 4 different cars with stock suspension that I know of without any clearance issues. As I said earlier, the rotor hat should be the same thickness so I don't think that is the cause of the problem. Regardless, a spacer should resolve the issue for now. If you move to a more compact aftermarket suspension or slightly narrower tires in the future, the spacer will no longer be required.

We may need to update the guide to take this into account, but I find the discrepancy between your car and our test cars quite odd. Is the clearance (or lack thereof) identical on both sides?

-Tom
hi. Tom.

yes. please. as you know, i have 285 35 18 in front and I needed 5mm spacer although guide had stated that 285 would fit as alternative.

thanks!

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If the wheel and tire can still rotate with the lugs torqued then a small front spacer (5mm) should be more than sufficient for clearance. I'm surprised that your car requires spacers though since our test set of wheels and tires had 18x10 ET30 front wheels with 275/40-18 Yokohama A052s which should run wider than the Goodyears you have currently. Tire rack lists the tread width of the A052s as 9.8"s while the Goodyears are 9.4"s. We tested the A052s on 4 different cars with stock suspension that I know of without any clearance issues. As I said earlier, the rotor hat should be the same thickness so I don't think that is the cause of the problem. Regardless, a spacer should resolve the issue for now. If you move to a more compact aftermarket suspension or slightly narrower tires in the future, the spacer will no longer be required.

-Tom
Hi Tom -

Sorry for the delayed response, busy day, also incredibly hot for SF.
You may notice in my photos I still have the factory brakes on. I haven't switched to the APs.
It rotates with resistance. Upon Joe's request, I had pushed the rubber cover on the perch up and secured the wheel to the hub. It still rubs. 5mm spacer will not be sufficient.

I have now replicated the issue on the driver side - subjectively it feels a bit worse with even more resistance to rotation by hand. Upon lowering the car off the jack and settling the suspension a bit, I put my hand between the rotor and barrel of the rim to feel for the tire and perch. Seems to be really pressed up against the perch once the car is lowered down.

EDIT: Added photos of the driver-side touch points. This time with contact visible on the tire itself.

IMG_2991.jpeg

IMG_2992.jpeg

Last edited:

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
hi. Tom.

yes. please. as you know, i have 285 35 18 in front and I needed 5mm spacer although guide had stated that 285 would fit as alternative.

thanks!
Looks like they've added that spacer note in the guide now.
1632330412988.png

OP
OP
APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
hi. Tom.

thanks!
Yep, the guides were actually already updated to take your feedback into account a few days after you reached out.

Hi Tom -

Sorry for the delayed response, busy day, also incredibly hot for SF.
You may notice in my photos I still have the factory brakes on. I haven't switched to the APs.
It rotates with resistance. Upon Joe's request, I had pushed the rubber cover on the perch up and secured the wheel to the hub. It still rubs. 5mm spacer will not be sufficient.

I have now replicated the issue on the driver side - subjectively it feels a bit worse with even more resistance to rotation by hand. Upon lowering the car off the jack and settling the suspension a bit, I put my hand between the rotor and barrel of the rim to feel for the tire and perch. Seems to be really pressed up against the perch once the car is lowered down.

EDIT: Added photos of the driver-side touch points. This time with contact visible on the tire itself.

IMG_2991.jpeg

IMG_2992.jpeg
I'll follow up with you via Email in a few minutes to reach a solution for this set. Based on the images thus far, a 5mm spacer should fix the rubbing especially if the wheel and tire can still rotate when bolted down, but we can also discuss returning the wheels depending on what you'd prefer. The guides will definitely need to be adjusted, but we need to identify why your car in particular is having these issues while other test cars drove on the same wheel size and wider tires with no rubbing whatsoever. We are shipping the test wheel back for more testing, but right now Joe is taking a look at the OE perches and thinks the angle of the perch may be the cause of the problem.

Apologies for the issues. Look for my email here in a bit.

-Tom

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yep, the guides were actually already updated to take your feedback into account a few days after you reached out.

I'll follow up with you via Email in a few minutes to reach a solution for this set. Based on the images thus far, a 5mm spacer should fix the rubbing especially if the wheel and tire can still rotate when bolted down, but we can also discuss returning the wheels depending on what you'd prefer. The guides will definitely need to be adjusted, but we need to identify why your car in particular is having these issues while other test cars drove on the same wheel size and wider tires with no rubbing whatsoever. We are shipping the test wheel back for more testing, but right now Joe is taking a look at the OE perches and thinks the angle of the perch may be the cause of the problem.

Apologies for the issues. Look for my email here in a bit.

-Tom
Thanks Tom - first and foremost I want to call out my appreciation for the responsiveness of the Apex team thus far in the process. Things happen, especially on a somewhat new platform.

What sold me on this setup is no additional hardware needed and I don't have a desire to run spacers.
I hope we will come to a resolution that makes sense.

Cheers!

OP
OP
APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Thanks Tom - first and foremost I want to call out my appreciation for the responsiveness of the Apex team thus far in the process. Things happen, especially on a somewhat new platform.

What sold me on this setup is no additional hardware needed and I don't have a desire to run spacers.
I hope we will come to a resolution that makes sense.

Cheers!
We've gotten @gcmak sorted with this Goodyear set and have incorporated his feedback and notes into a new thread that delves into these tire fitments on our 18x10 ET30 SM-10s. Thanks again for reaching out guys!

-Tom

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi Apex: do you know whether a 315/30/19 PS4S will fit in the rear on a lowered Supra?

I know that 295/35/19 and 305/30/19 will fit and I know the 315/30/19 PS4S is rated for a 11" wheel, but curious if the 315/30/19 will also fit since it is closest to the stock tire height.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Hi Apex: do you know whether a 315/30/19 PS4S will fit in the rear on a lowered Supra?

I know that 295/35/19 and 305/30/19 will fit and I know the 315/30/19 PS4S is rated for a 11" wheel, but curious if the 315/30/19 will also fit since it is closest to the stock tire height.

Thanks in advance
The tire would certainly fit on the wheel just fine, but we haven't tested a 315/30-19 or equivalent 315/35-18 on the rear of this car yet. I would expect it to rub a bit under suspension compression, but that is a guess at this point. The 305/30-19 is the tried and true option and the size I typically recommend for a bolt on option.

-Tom
Sponsored