2020 Supra (A90) Reviews Compilation!

orvillesd

First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2018 Civic Type R

Does anyone have any thoughts on this guys review? Specifically of the Supra's bump steer issue. Well, I'm new to owning a sports car and I have to say he accurately explains that the moment of delight/panic I experience when flooring my Supra and loosing some grip in the backend is actually bump steer. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing with their car and if you think he's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium

Does anyone have any thoughts on this guys review? Specifically of the Supra's bump steer issue. Well, I'm new to owning a sports car and I have to say he accurately explains that the moment of delight/panic I experience when flooring my Supra and loosing some grip in the backend is actually bump steer. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing with their car and if you think he's making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I wonder if this is at all tied to the e-diff ā€œissuesā€ some believe the 2020 models may have. Possibly those saying that have made a misdiagnosis and itā€™s bump steer. This guy doesnā€™t strike me as someone who doesnā€™t know or understand what the root cause is here.

Iā€™m curious if this is why they made a change so quickly to the suspension in 2021? The stated benefit of said changes is stability...

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
An Aussie Subaru driver/review.

SUPRA PERFORMANCE REVIEW

We put a rally driver behind the wheel of the new Toyota Supra to see what it's like around the track

f5febc27fef7d1be5938cf32cac1da52?s=256&d=mm&r=g.png
Chris AtkinsonPerformance Editor

PROS
  • Great chassis that performs well at the limit
  • Very consistent and easy to drive for a rear wheel drive car
  • Has the ability to be taken to another level with small upgrades
CONS
  • Missing an extra suspension option for Australian roads
  • The engine has so much more potential, it feels a little safe
  • A more sporty steering wheel would work well
Welcome to our series of track reviews, conducted by our in-house racing driver, Chris Atkinson.

Our track reviews take place against the clock at Queensland Raceway, before Chris drives the car on the public road at road speeds to determine whether it can be used as a daily driver and a weekend track car.

While we evolve this series, weā€™d love to get your feedback on what you like, what you donā€™t like and what youā€™d like to see.

Overall Track Performance
The Supra is very capable on the track, it has a well balanced chassis which gives consistent feedback. Although you might be hesitant in a rear wheel drive car, I found it very easy to drive and I was able do consistent lap times, which is a sign of a really good chassis.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-93.jpg
With such a good base package, it could easily handle more power and would definitely benefit from increased dampening especially for track work. Overall it was a real surprise package on the track, exceeding my expectations and was really enjoyable to steer.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-108.jpg
Overall Road Performance
Easy to drive and effortlessly quick. I felt like it would benefit from a suspension setting between Sport and Normal for Australian road conditions, something with a little more control without being too harsh.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-121.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-120.jpg
Its almost subdued nature on the road hides its true potential. Having explored the limits on the track, I would be much more comfortable enjoying the car on a nice section of road.

Engine
The engine is drivable and very user friendly. It has a nice wide power band that makes it easy for road use and also makes it sneaky fast on the track.

Once you are able to get to full power, it gains speed even more rapidly than you would expect from the power figures that are given.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-77.jpg
Ideally a slightly quicker response from the bottom end would be a bonus and enable you to extract a bit more pace.

Braking
Braking is consistent throughout a lap. I would prefer a slightly firmer pedal which would help for modulation and feel.

I was impressed how little interference there was from the ABS which gave me confidence and control to brake late and still get the car to enter the corner well.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-96.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-90.jpg
The only negative is that I found the pedal sensitive and reactive at very low speeds in traffic around town, but this wasnā€™t an issue on the track at all.

Chassis
A really great chassis that is well balanced, consistent and engaging. Front grip on entry and mid corner is excellent allowing you to slightly rotate the car before getting on the throttle.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-104.jpg
Corner exit is really good, with a subtle weight transfer which builds rear grip without causing the front to push at all. My guess is the engineering team tuned the car on a track, with slower and medium corners being the focus.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-123.jpg
I really found it hard to fault and could really enjoy trying to get the most out of the car. It has a really good fit as a car for someone to try and enjoy some small amounts of track work without being scary, but still feeling like a bit of a challenge.

Transmission and Differentials
Gear shifts are smooth and quick, but with such a wide power band I feel like seconds and third gear could be spaced a bit further apart for track work. I found myself quickly getting to the limiter exiting corners, but thatā€™s a compliment to the traction and mid-range power of the car.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-126.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-105.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-106.jpg
The differential worked well, with enough freedom on entry to allow some rotation, but not coming together too aggressively on drive so that it would destroy the exit.

Suspension
If I was going to pick on one part of this car, this would be itā€¦ But only because the chassis could handle so much more.

For the road I felt like the Normal setting was a little too soft when you picked up the pace, especially on the rebound side.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-78.jpg
This caused a bit of an overreaction from bigger bumps, which meant the car took too much time to recover for the next corner.

The Sport setting on the other hand was restricting the use of the suspension travel and not absorbing the bumps, this was causing a reaction a different way.

I actually preferred the Normal setting, as I could trust it more on the road. On the track it was a surprise, as it felt like Sport was almost too soft in roll and dive.

I would have liked more low to medium speed damping to control the body movement on heavy braking and fast corners, but it was perfect for slow speed corners and traction.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-100.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-97.jpg
Steering
I thought the steering worked well and the weighting and assistance was good. I really felt like I could take the tyres right to the limit and know when I was starting to overstep the mark, which for me is a sign of a good steering package.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-71.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-82.jpg
Wheels and Tyres
A good package for the car, which worked well on the track and road. As expected, it dropped off a little on the track but not too much, only down one tenth of a second on the second and third lap.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-95.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-96.jpg
The quality of the chassis and geometry really enabled the tyre to work with the road and not fight against it. Sometimes itā€™s easy to criticise the tyre when itā€™s the chassis that is not really helping the situation. That isnā€™t the case here at all.

Driver Aids (Electronics)
The fastest lap was with the everything on, showing it wasnā€™t intervening too much. On the exit of tight corners it allowed some slide without too much oversteer. I did one lap at the end with everything turned off and the lap time was almost identical, but required a bit more thought with the right foot.

Cockpit (Ergonomics)
This was very impressive, it really feels like you are part of the car. Seating and pedal position were perfect and you could brace your leg against the tunnel easily during fast cornering. It was nice to be able to adjust the lateral support of the seat as well.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-58.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-81.jpg
  • 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-82.jpg
During normal driving you notice the steering wheel is quite large, but to be honest I didnā€™t feel this caused any issue on the track. Visibility was really good considering how low the seating position is, I had no issue and the track and could place the car really well.

Lap Time
The lap time of 58.95 surprised me almost as much as how enjoyable it was to drive. You could make small mistakes and the drivability along with the well balanced chassis enabled you to recover quickly with barely any time lost.

• 2020-Toyota-Supra-Track-Test-Review-125.jpg
The Supra did it really easy and even driving with slightly different styles and using different settings, I was able to achieve very similar lap times. I also feel with some small upgrades to the engine and suspension this could do some really impressive lap times, this is because the base package is so well thought-out and developed.

Atkoā€™s 3
  1. Make the most of the front grip, get the car rotated, and get ready to be launched.
  2. Trust the rear but donā€™t be greedy on the throttle, it can bite.
  3. Donā€™t expect the absolute maximum, just enjoy the experience.
CarExpert Performance Reviews are brought to you by former World Rally Championship and current Rallycross driver Chris Atkinson.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-reviews/2020-toyota-supra-performance-review

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
June 9, 2020
Kyle Edward

I cover the auto industry, from breaking news to car reviews.

The Toyota Supra hasn't graced us with its presence since 2002 when they stopped production. However, I'm thrilled to report for 2020; the Supra is back with a vengeance.

960x0.jpg

2020 Toyota Supra

The all-new 2020 Supra is actually based on the new BMW Z4 platform, through an unlikely partnership between BMW and Toyota. Everything from the engine to the interior media system are from BMW with a Toyota touch. This is actually an excellent thing. It allowed Toyota to focus on the design of the vehicle and have an incredible platform ready to go.

960x0.jpg

2020 Toyota Supra

The 2020 Supra is relatively affordable too. It starts at $49,990 and hits $55,250 for the Launch Edition. A relatively small price gap between models makes all of them appealing. For now, all get the same turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six. However, a 2.0-liter four is also in the works and will undoubtedly make the Supra even more accessible financially.

Driving Dynamics

There's no doubt about it, the Supra is one serious driver's car. Under that long hood is a potent BMW sourced 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six, which cranks out 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque. The only gearbox offered is an eight-speed automatic. This BMW sourced gearbox offers razor-sharp shifts and quick response time, so no complaints there. Pop it over to manual shifting, use the steering wheel-mounted paddles to upshift at speed and hear the exhaust burp, or put your foot down and shift high into the RPM band to have a similar effect. Both are equally pleasing to any automotive enthusiast's ears.

960x0.jpg

2020 Toyota Supra

From a stop, the Supra will go from 0-60 in a Toyota-estimated 4.1 seconds. However, a report from Car & Driver has the Supra hitting 60 in just 3.7 seconds. This isn't the first time we've heard reports citing the faster than advertised 0-60 time. Either way, the Supra is incredibly quick joining the ranks of the BMW M2 Competition, Porsche 718 Cayman GT4, Ford Mustang GT, and Camaro SS.

960x0.jpg

2020 Toyota Supra

I loved every second of driving the Supra. It's a pure form of driving, as you can feel the movement of the wheels through the steering wheel. As you press down the accelerator and watch the rpm gauge rise into the 4,000 range, you can sense the rear-wheels spinning faster and faster, it's a feeling few cars offer today. Driving the 2020 Supra reminded me of driving a Porsche Cayman, and that's a big compliment.

Affordability

The Toyota Supra is surprisingly affordable at $49,990 when you consider it's high-performance nature and other options in the segment like the BMW M2 Competition and Porsche 718 Cayman GT4. The BMW M2 Competition starts at $61,800 for the automatic, and the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 starts at $99,200. Sure the Cayman GT4 is more track-ready than the Supra, but when it comes down to numbers and driving dynamics, they are similar.

Unique Exterior Design Language

The 4th generation Supra (previous Supra) was an eye catching sports car, to say the least. It had a long rounded edge hood, large headlights, a huge spoiler, and four circular lights made up each tail lamp.

960x0.jpg

2020 Toyota Supra

Some of that styling is carried on into this current generation with large front LED headlamps and a large rounded edge hood. The rear of the vehicle is totally different with crisp LED lights, large dual exhaust outlets, and a large glass hatch. I love how different the Supra looks from everything else out on the road. It separates itself with that long rounded hood, eye-catching rear-end design, and a rear glass hatch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kyleed...-review-3-reasons-why-id-buy-it/#6d48a0bd2112

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Toyota Supra ā€“ long-term review
row_8584.jpg

Rowan Horncastle
7 Oct 2020

SAY HELLO TO TOP GEAR'S NEW TOYOTA SUPRA
Specification:
Toyota GR Supra Pro
Engine:
3.0-litre, turbocharged inline six-cylinder
Claimed MPG:
34.4mpg, 188g/km CO2
Performance:
0ā€“62mph in 4.3secs, 155mph
Weight:
1495kg
Price:
Ā£54,340 OTR / Ā£55,050 as tested / Ā£504pcm

Everyone bow and say Konnichiwa to our latest TG Garage recruit. Or should that be Guten Tag? It can only be the new Supra. Wait, did someone say ā€˜cheap shotā€™? Well, not compared to what you lot have been spouting in the comments section over the last few months. See, the new Supra is a car thatā€™s been hopelessly consumed by a maelstrom of scrutiny because of its dual citizenship. And one of the main reasons we want to run one long-term.

And itā€™s been a while. The Supra was teased, hyped and leaked over a near decade-long gestation period. Itā€™s six years since we saw the FT-1 concept. Then we had the crazy Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept in March 2018. We saw the BMW Z4 in summer 2018 and drove it in October. We drove the Supra prototype, in an eye-scrambling patchwork wrap. Then saw photos of the version thatā€™ll race in Japanese Super GT. Then blurry internet leaks of the Supra proper. The wait has been agonising for the hardcore fanbase and that gave you lot time to sharpen your swords to go into battle for when the covers were thrown off it.

Since then it has been peppered with hot takes from internet warriors and media types alike. Why? Because of its engineering tie-up with BMW. In case you didnā€™t know, the new A90 Supra shares a platform, running gear, engine, gearbox and large chunks of the interior with the BMW Z4. Now, collaboration between companies isnā€™t anything new, especially for Toyota ā€“ which came out the better for the GT86/Subaru BRZ project and went threesies with Peugeot and Citroen for the Aygo/108/C1 ā€“ but this one struck a nerve because itā€™s the Supra, the quintessential Japanese car for a generation weaned on the Fast & Furious franchise.

Being a JDM fanboy I had my reservations when first seeing and driving the car last year. But since the world has gone a bit mad since then, Iā€™ve decided to wind my neck in and approach this Supra with a fresh perspective. Letā€™s be frank, without the controversial collaboration, this striking RWD, straight-six coupe wouldnā€™t exist. This dying breed is being replaced with more generic, less characterful ā€˜mobility solutionsā€™, so bring it on, BMW bits and all.

What is GY20 XCG? A top of the line Pro spec, thatā€™s what. So itā€™s got BMWā€™s rorty (and highly tuneable) 335bhp B58 turbocharged inline-six attached to ZFā€™s ubiquitous eight-speed auto. Being top spec, every option is pretty much pre-ticked. In fact, the only addition is that deep, slightly mesmerising blue paint (Ā£710). I wasnā€™t too sure how itā€™d come out in natural light, itā€™s an intriguing colour that masks some of the Supraā€™s fussy lines and details to give it a more voluptuous shape. But it looks properly smart in the flesh; fantastically proportioned and wears its jazzy half chrome 19-inch wheels well. Which many cars fail to do nowadays.

Tuning is obviously on my to-do list ā€“ after all, the godfather of the new Supra, Tetsuya Tada, left built-in margin for further exploitation, and itā€™d be rude not to explore its potential. How far can we push it? Weā€™ll have to wait and see.

https://www.topgear.com/long-term-car-reviews/toyota/supra/30-pro-3dr-auto/report-1

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Thanks for link. Finding same joys and sniggles.
Almost too much attention

Iā€™m tallish- site lines and stooping over and craning up to see traffic light is annoying

dumb gas and temp gauge

canā€™t turn lights off while under way?

plan was to make it a track/weekend car and split time with older M3. I canā€™t stop driving it !!
Sponsored