Featured 2020 Supra goes 0-60 3.8s & 1/4 mi 12.3s in C&D instrumented test

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by JT, May 14, 2019.

1. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Financial Advisor
    Garage Profiles:
    So realistically, with stock tires, how low can the 0-60 times get?

At what point does adding more power not help, because the car can’t hook up? Lots of quick cars moving to awd and as expected, have great 0-60 times.

With stock tires and bolt-ons, is 3.0 seconds or less even possible?

(I am not saying 0-60 is all that matters, but 3.8 sec. has me excited. However, I would think tires are gonna be a big factor if trying to improve that time too much...?)

Vaevictum likes this.
  2. bogglo

bogglo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus GS
    Liked:
    I agree its a drivers race. Also I agree with the the point that the launch control is inconsistent. The CARWOW guy review proofed that when he tried it the first time and did 4.4secs and tried it again and did 4.0secs. Also this was on the Europe car and he also drove the Z4 already and agrees the supra felt faster.

Vaevictum and XtremeMaC like this.
  3. AHP

AHP Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Supra TT Hardtop, '09 Corvette ZR1, '07 Corvette, '13 G37x, '10 Escalade ESV
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:

Considering more than a few bone stock examples have put down over 300WHP, that ET and trap is certainly feasible, especially in good DA at a real drag strip. Back then much of the acceleration testing was not done at a drag strip, which can really skews things -- no roll out, questionable surface, timing equipment, etc... Further, some mags (I forget which) used to specifically call out that their acceleration testing was done with a "fast start" method which basically means how you might aggressively leave a stop light vs. an actual drag launch. There was so much inconsistency back then with respect to testing methodology that a lot of the published "1/4 mile" results are hard to use a reliable comps, and why there was such a disparity in results between mags. I mildly regret not taking any of the 6sp's I've owned, while still stock, to the track for science. The most-stock/least-modded example I've personally run was the definition of basic BPU -- intake, downpipe, exhaust -- and went 11.8 @ 118MPH with the stock/original clutch giving up. I'm pretty confident that car would have gone bottom 13's around 108-109MPH that day, but that's obviously just educated speculation.

redspencer likes this.
  4. Bruins71

Bruins71 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tony
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV Highlander,Acura TSX,Mitsubishi Lancer
    Liked:
    Yes yes please tell your friends tell your family “the new supra sucks “
    In September they will have sore necks from
    the quick looks as we speed on by in 3.8 to 4.1 secs!:)

Vaevictum, dgh and XtremeMaC like this.
  5. rob13567

rob13567 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Roberto
    Car(s):
    2016 camaro 2ss
    Liked:
    Street vs prep track surface also

6. Supra Turbo

Supra Turbo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Supras
    Liked:
    Good acceleration numbers for the Zupra. Has anyone done testing for 60-130mph?

Good.. good. Love watching the MKIV prices grow.. I'm expecting some big $$$ :yes:

7. F1 Silver Arrows

F1 Silver Arrows Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
    Liked:
    #37 May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    I wonder how that insider from E90 forums thinks now that this Supra whooped some big ass. Oh wait didn't he call us "fools" for thinking that Toyota had any sort of control of this development? Hah. Bet he's swallowing his words now. Those tests in the Nordschliefe and Japan weren't for nothing.

I have always said it and I will say it again. Toyota reads between the lines and don't make shady deals. I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't want to make a deal with Toyota anymore after how Toyota has finessed through that agreement. And Toyota now has a platform to build on and we can forever have a Supra again (just don't discontinue it).

Vaevictum, Bryster and XtremeMaC like this.
  8. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    Some reality check and skepticism ahead (playing devil's advocate, otherwise I'm ecstatic about 3.8!!)
    Well; Temperature, elevation, road surface/condition, tire pressure, tire air vs nitro; these are not talked about and maybe not factored in road tests in these video reviews... few also play a role in dyno numbers, especially with FI engines... Also, I'm always cautious about comparing results years apart with no indication of machine calibration.
    Not to be negative, but all tests are done in these press release vehicles. Who is to say they don't have different tuning than production ones... not to say that's a bad thing as it'd mean 3.8 is achievable with perhaps a quick tune...
    But yiey for awesomeness of A90!

Bruins71 likes this.
  9. Susurs

Susurs New Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    I fear the EU version will be not delivering the 3.8s (if it‘s reproducable anyway) due to the damn emission regulations. I‘d be happy to have a fake particle filter replacement part and the US mapping installed. But let‘s wait and see which numbers we‘re going to get in the EU.

10. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2011 gti
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Carwow did a 4.0 in a EU car so they’re not far off the 3.8 the US car did.

11. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    And he did it with launch control, C&D was able to do it quicker without (and practise).

The 3370lbs C&D is good news as that was a Premium model! Though they don't tell you how much gas was in the tank, I'm sure not much if they're pulling those kinds of 0-60 times. A full 60l tank is over 100lbs btw. A non premium with minimal gas and spare etc (is there one?) Removed should be pretty close to 3300lbs.

Also don't get too bent out of shape over the 51.5% front weight bias of the car (which is actually more then the mk4 NA!), as its probably 50:50 with a full tank of gas.

12. rob13567

First Name:
    Roberto
    Car(s):
    2016 camaro 2ss
    Liked:
    All this hate for this "335hp" Zupr4 and it's cost, but its matching/besting the Camaro, mustang, base vette, gt350 ,718 etc. Looks like I might be trading in my 16 Camaro ss after all

20190514_163856.jpg

johnny_10196, Vaevictum and vb22 like this.
  13. Vaevictum

Vaevictum Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
    Liked:
    I'm in the same camp. After seeing these numbers from a stock example and knowing that people are getting 400+whp out of the B58 with just a tune, It's hard to not trade in the pony car lol. Let's see what dealership markups look like and then I'll be able to make my decision.

vb22 and johnny_10196 like this.
  14. rob13567

First Name:
    Roberto
    Car(s):
    2016 camaro 2ss
    Liked:
    I Probably wont be able to get a launch, which is kinda alright since they aren't available in downshift blue or turbulence gray, but really do like that red interior...

Vaevictum likes this.
  15. boxer6

boxer6 Member

Car(s):
    Cayman GT4
    Liked:
    In an apples to apples comparison to the Cayman S PDK, it does appear to be slower to 60 and the quarter, though it does better in the skidpad. Can't wait to see a lap time comparison between the two.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 4.01.13 PM.png