Featured 2020 Supra goes 0-60 3.8s & 1/4 mi 12.3s in C&D instrumented test

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by JT, May 14, 2019.

1. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    Those arguments were beyond ridiculous just based on chassis dynamics, let alone the expected tq figure at the time.

2. Half Vast

Half Vast Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner, 95 Corolla
    Liked:
    At their local Toyota Dealer, placing a deposit on a Supra.

3. AHP

AHP Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Supra TT Hardtop, '09 Corvette ZR1, '07 Corvette, '13 G37x, '10 Escalade ESV
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:

"On paper" it was a reasonably logical assessment at the time. The 370 has an obvious TQ deficit, but that can play out in different ways. Much of the fuckery could've been avoided if Toyota didn't sandbag us with the BS HP/TQ specs.

BobDigi5060 likes this.
  4. Islindur

Islindur Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    MD
    Ok but how 10yr old 370z that is build on even older 350z platform can be a competition to brand new Supra? Just coz of hp number and being coupe? 370 drives worse than 86 chasis wise, not to mention average steering and manual... I wouldnt even pronounce it in 1 sentence with Supra ;)
    On the other hand I wonder how A90 will compare to the new M2 CS that is comming... but that sounds more like GRMn competitor.

5. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:

That’s why I never looked at cars “on paper” specs whether it’s a Porsche, Mustang, bmw, etc. “on paper” specs means nothing and is never a telling sign of a car, and this certainly proves again it can compete against cars that cost more.

6. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:

That’s cause some people just look at hp figures and call it a day. Nothing to do with chassis, driving dynamics, etc... even though the Z is over 10 years old, but, but...... it has similar hp figures to the Supra, lol.

7. Pheonix

Pheonix Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
    Liked:
    Wouldn't surprise me seeing how the new Supra is more inline with being what a new Z should be (yeah I know its a Toyota but plz don't kill me for saying that lol). Inline 6, more than competitive with cars in its class (actually faster than a Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Cayman S, etc.), and relatively affordable. Nissan better wake up and release a new Z to compete with the Supra and not stay sitting on their @$$ by not doing anything. I mean a new Nismo 370z is what...like $45k? That is dangerously close to a base Supra price and the Supra is a much superior product overall (granted you probably won't be getting a new Supra at MSRP anytime soon). But I doubt they will do anything. They will probably be too afraid to make it competitive as it will bite into GTR performance (I mean the Supra is almost there handling wise and with power mods...should be there acceleration wise). And I doubt they wanna increase the price of the GTR even more.

8. HKz

HKz Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    Liked:
    why are people still comparing Zs to the Supra....Nissan already has a flagship coupe with the GTR, the Z ain't ever gonna be fighting no Supra and let's be real it starts at $29 K so complaining about NISMO pricing is silly...

9. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    Nah we knew from the get go. I daily a G37 and these motors are torqueless until its time to shift

10. Pheonix

Car(s):
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
    Liked:
    #70 May 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    I can see how they would be compared somewhat based on the horsepower. But yeah, it's a moot point. Both totally different class of cars. I wouldn't even compare a FRS/86 to a Z as even that is a different class of car. A BRZ/86 competes with cars like the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Golf GTI, Mazda Miata, Fiat 124. Not a 370z. Sure it has less weight than a Z and has better handling feel, but that's it. Take them stock vs stock on a track like Willow Springs or Laguna Seca, and the Z will put out better times. The lower weight can only get you so far when you are making an anemic 150whp and no torque. The 370z was designed to compete with the 981 Cayman S. It's really in a class all by itself since its main competition (Mustang, Camaro) all got way better. And the Supra is in a totally different class than a 370z even though it only makes "335hp".

11. Pheonix

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Isn't the G37 also a lot heavier than a Z? I think that would also add into the torqueless feeling. Just speculating here as I haven't driven either.

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  12. jtsang25

jtsang25 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 135i
    Liked:
    I dont understand when everyone says they arent getting the car for MSRP. Is it common practice to sell above MSRP in the states? I'm from Canada and my dealer said they arent allowed to sell above MSRP. My price quote I got when I put the downpayment was for MSRP.

13. madweazl

madweazl Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Car(s):
    '15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    10 speed equipped base Mustang GTs are dipping into the 11s now. Manufacturers are pumping out some pretty insane cars right now.

14. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    Yes by a few hundred pounds. But the car is still lifeless until it gets higher rpms. It moves when it is there but it doesn't last long

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  15. Pheonix

Car(s):
    Liked:
    The hottest new sports cars always sell above MSRP thanks to dealer markup's. I remember the Civic Type R going for $50k when it came out. Lol and people actually paid that much for a Civic. Limited supply plus tons of demand usually do that. It depends dealer to dealer. Porsche is notorious for this especially on their GT cars. Luckily for me I got my car at MSRP because I found a dealer selling them for sticker when I purchased it back in 2016. When it comes to the in demand sports cars (like the new Supra) some states, like California, require dealerships to post a supplementary window sticker explaining why a vehicle is being sold above MSRP. Most dealers price to market demand. Bottom line if you think one dealer is screwing you over, go to another.