2020 Supra goes 0-60 3.8s & 1/4 mi 12.3s in C&D instrumented test

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
why are people still comparing Zs to the Supra....Nissan already has a flagship coupe with the GTR, the Z ain't ever gonna be fighting no Supra and let's be real it starts at $29 K so complaining about NISMO pricing is silly...
Why? When specs first dropped off, goodwood-jarama red camo era-ish, no one had clear image of what A90 hold under it's "wraps". People just knew 6cyl, fr layout, weight and dimensions of which, by the lack of faith and enthusiasm that were around back those days, 370Z seemed more the "I am what Thanos is to Iron Man" than Cayman is. Hence the constant nonsensical comparison.
Sponsored

madweazl

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s faster than the Shelby GT350. Low 11ā€™s completely stock for a GT, I am not so sure, but wouldnā€™t be surprised if it did. (Iā€™ve seen them hit high 11ā€™s)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...49697/2018-ford-mustang-gt-0-60-quarter-mile/

Still canā€™t get over how heavy that and camaros are. I hate driving them. Lol
Base trims arent that heavy and they both handle amazingly well. When it comes to fun to drive, both are extremely hard to beat.

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
Base trims arent that heavy and they both handle amazingly well. When it comes to fun to drive, both are extremely hard to beat.

True, was referring specifically the gt350. (Iā€™m used to sports cars 3300 pounds or less, lol) For the money, and the amount of performance you are getting is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
wow, that actually sounds really good stock :eek:
The B58 is currently the best sounding motor in the entire BMW range. Seems like Toyota tuned it and made it even better. The worst sounding car from BMW? The S55 in the M3/M4. Those things sound horrible. Even with an exhaust. The Supra will sound godlike with a full titanium Top Secret or Amuse exhaust on it. Can't wait for Japanese companies to release their products on the car.

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Do you have a manual or 7AT?

I feel that you are exaggerating here. The 7AT is geared pretty high in the first few gears the car pulls well for having 270 tq @ 5k. I can feel the tq coming on arounda3500rpm or so. Also, nothing with 270tq and 330hp should be considered lifeless.

My 05 s2k was gutless as is the FA20 and the Honda B series. Not the VQ or even the HRs from 2009+.
I have a 6mt. Itā€™s not about peak torque or all out acceleration times, itā€™s about torque under the curve and when it makes power.

Again this is all relative and not a bad thing. But this high revving NA V6 doesnā€™t deliver power nearly the same as the N54/N55/B58.

The great thing about this scenario is that hopefully Nissan puts the VR30 in the Z and one ups the Supra by putting a 6 speed in the car. I think this would quickly motivate Toyota to put a manual in the car as well

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
The B58 is currently the best sounding motor in the entire BMW range. Seems like Toyota tuned it and made it even better. The worst sounding car from BMW? The S58 in the M3/M4. Those things sound horrible. Even with an exhaust. The Supra will sound godlike with a full titanium Top Secret or Amuse exhaust on it. Can't wait for Japanese companies to release their products on the car.
I'm not a fan of S in current M4 but after reading so much trash on net I thought it will sound worse in real life, wasnt that bad tho ;) On the other hand 4cyl in 718 sounds BAD for a Porsche, didnt understand that until I drove N/A flat6, those things siiiiiiing!
Also, the B58 in A90 will sound even better irl than this clip so... excited :] Aftermarket for this car will be omegabig, even bigger than for 86 :D

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
The B58 is currently the best sounding motor in the entire BMW range. Seems like Toyota tuned it and made it even better. The worst sounding car from BMW? The S58 in the M3/M4. Those things sound horrible. Even with an exhaust. The Supra will sound godlike with a full titanium Top Secret or Amuse exhaust on it. Can't wait for Japanese companies to release their products on the car.
The S58 is only out in the X3 M and the X4 M. The engine that's currently in the M3 and M4 is the S55.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
The S58 is only out in the X3 M and the X4 M. The engine that's currently in the M3 and M4 is the S55.
Oh yes. I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up. S55 sounds like crap. I think even the S58 sounds pretty muted TBH. Those twin turbo's really kill the sound. The N54 with twin turbos sound a lot better. Along with the single turbo N55 and B58.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not a fan of S in current M4 but after reading so much trash on net I thought it will sound worse in real life, wasnt that bad tho ;) On the other hand 4cyl in 718 sounds BAD for a Porsche, didnt understand that until I drove N/A flat6, those things siiiiiiing!
Also, the B58 in A90 will sound even better irl than this clip so... excited :] Aftermarket for this car will be omegabig, even bigger than for 86 :D
Lol you are telling me. I drive a GT4 and have heard all the 718 S's and GTS's and they all sound like crap. They are quick though thanks to that turbo but no one buys a Porsche just to have it sound like a Subaru.

And I've heard plenty of M3/M4's. In car meets, on the road, pulling away from parking lots, at the BMW dealership when I take my 1'er for service...both stock and with exhausts. They sound so bad compared to the standard N55's and B58's. And sound horrible when you compare it to the E92 V8. I heard a 440i with the M performance exhaust and my god did it sound godlike. Put's the M4 to shame. That's a B58 btw in the 440i.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
It's so disappointing given how bmw I6 used to sound, like the S52 and M88. Best sounding I6s, period.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Oh yes. I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up. S55 sounds like crap. I think even the S58 sounds pretty muted TBH. Those twin turbo's really kill the sound. The N54 with twin turbos sound a lot better. Along with the single turbo N55 and B58.
The S55 engine is annoying. It's a literal ear rape experience. Especially the M4 GTS. I will say that the S58 still does has that rasp from the S55 but is still much better than it.

Lol you are telling me. I drive a GT4 and have heard all the 718 S's and GTS's and they all sound like crap. They are quick though thanks to that turbo but no one buys a Porsche just to have it sound like a Subaru.

And I've heard plenty of M3/M4's. In car meets, on the road, pulling away from parking lots, at the BMW dealership when I take my 1'er for service...both stock and with exhausts. They sound so bad compared to the standard N55's and B58's. And sound horrible when you compare it to the E92 V8. I heard a 440i with the M performance exhaust and my god did it sound godlike. Put's the M4 to shame. That's a B58 btw in the 440i.
Also speaking of Porsches, apparently they're going to switch back to a flat-six engine for the Cayman and Boxster. Thank god. The 4-cylinder would consume MORE fuel than the six and it's intention was to actually have a better fuel economy. And it sounds like shit. It works in a Subaru, but not in a Porsche.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The S55 engine is annoying. It's a literal ear rape experience. Especially the M4 GTS. I will say that the S58 still does has that rasp from the S55 but is still much better than it.

Also speaking of Porsches, apparently they're going to switch back to a flat-six engine for the Cayman and Boxster. Thank god. The 4-cylinder would consume MORE fuel than the six and it's intention was to actually have a better fuel economy. And it sounds like shit. It works in a Subaru, but not in a Porsche.
I heard they are only doing that for the 718 Touring and GTS models along with the 718 Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4 models. Not the base or S models. Porsche really took a step backwards introducing the 4 cyl. to those cars. Hell, they took a step down by dropping the NA flat 6 pretty much entirely with the new 911 models. It makes having the appeal of owning a 911 Turbo less special when a base Carrera comes with turbo's. Sure they are faster and more efficient but they lack the soul. I would be surprised if they manage to squeeze in another generation of NA GT cars after the current ones. My guess is the 992 GT models and 718 GT4/Boxster Spyder would be the last time they use NA engines.

Last edited:

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's so disappointing given how bmw I6 used to sound, like the S52 and M88. Best sounding I6s, period.
The S54 as well. That was an eargasm for sure. Some didn't like it because it sounded too raspy but that gave it character IMO. Also N54, N55, and B58 sound great for being a turbo car.