2020 Supra - Leaking fluid from differential - Stock - ~1600 miles

Shay

First Name
Shay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium White
From what i've experienced with this while owning the car since October is that this is normal. Mine has stopped leaking, Chris Hill noted to me last night that his has stopped leaking as well.
I found a drop of oil in my garage floor. Crawled under the Supra to find a drop handing below the differential cooling fins. This is not easy to get to while the car is on the ground. I don't see any oil higher than the drain plug. If it was coming form the vent I would expect to see oil higher on the gearbox. I will call my local dealer tomorrow.
Sponsored

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I found a drop of oil in my garage floor. Crawled under the Supra to find a drop handing below the differential cooling fins. This is not easy to get to while the car is on the ground. I don't see any oil higher than the drain plug. If it was coming form the vent I would expect to see oil higher on the gearbox. I will call my local dealer tomorrow.
You should definitely get it fixed quick. I had my supra for 6 months before I found out mine was leaking. That was a year ago. I found out while getting an oil change and I had to wait for a month and a half before the dealership was able to get the tools and part in. Since I had it changed, every 3k miles I do an oil change and I have the dealership do a check on it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Curious about your outcome? Found a similar leak and calling the dealer as well.

Shay

First Name
Shay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium White
Curious about your outcome? Found a similar leak and calling the dealer as well.
I took Supra to dealer a few days ago. The mechanic wasn't sure where it was leaking. He drained and refilled. And used a new drain plug and plug gasket.

I will keep an eye on it.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I took Supra to dealer a few days ago. The mechanic wasn't sure where it was leaking. He drained and refilled. And used a new drain plug and plug gasket.

I will keep an eye on it.
Very strange your dealer wasn't required to open a case with Toyota and run die through it to find the leak. My paperwork showed it was leaking through the fill plug. The paperwork says it was corrected, fluid topped off, and driven to confirm no leak. I'm suspicious though. They only put two miles on the car to both drive it with the die and find the leak and then drive it post-fix to confirm correction. And it appears to still be leaking? I say appears because I'm not convinced it's actually leaking verses being overfilled when topped off and now expelling the excess through the breather or possibly spillage around the fill plug taking a day or two to run down the back side and collect on the bottom cooling fins.

I put the car up on my quickjacks last night to see if I could find anything around the fill plug or breather but I can't even see or figure out where either is located. There is just no clearance. I couldn't even get my fingers up on the top to feel around it. I'm guessing the tech must have used mirrors to see up there? Once it was in the air, I was able to spot the trail where it was definitely running down from the top and not coming from the drain plug like others have had.

Anyway, I'm just going to monitor it for a while. If it stops that will confirm it's excess fluid being released as it heats up and, if not, it will take quite a while to get low a few drops at a time. I'll get it back in before that happens. Fingers crossed...

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Very strange your dealer wasn't required to open a case with Toyota and run die through it to find the leak. My paperwork showed it was leaking through the fill plug. The paperwork says it was corrected, fluid topped off, and driven to confirm no leak. I'm suspicious though. They only put two miles on the car to both drive it with the die and find the leak and then drive it post-fix to confirm correction. And it appears to still be leaking? I say appears because I'm not convinced it's actually leaking verses being overfilled when topped off and now expelling the excess through the breather or possibly spillage around the fill plug taking a day or two to run down the back side and collect on the bottom cooling fins.

I put the car up on my quickjacks last night to see if I could find anything around the fill plug or breather but I can't even see or figure out where either is located. There is just no clearance. I couldn't even get my fingers up on the top to feel around it. I'm guessing the tech must have used mirrors to see up there? Once it was in the air, I was able to spot the trail where it was definitely running down from the top and not coming from the drain plug like others have had.

Anyway, I'm just going to monitor it for a while. If it stops that will confirm it's excess fluid being released as it heats up and, if not, it will take quite a while to get low a few drops at a time. I'll get it back in before that happens. Fingers crossed...
Iā€™m actually surprised as well they didnā€™t run dye through it first as you can find leaks relatively quickly and the issue.

LagoMKV

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevy Cobolt
From what i've experienced with this while owning the car since October is that this is normal. Mine has stopped leaking, Chris Hill noted to me last night that his has stopped leaking as well.
Hey just following up on what you did to make it stop leaking? Was it just a drain plug replacement?

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to be a plunger and bring old shit up, but i noticed a slight leak on my cooling fins, drain plug and rear mount thingy....
E5788A95-E3FC-4AF4-B84E-DC824B17C732.jpeg
298A49C3-A379-4E47-9675-7B0C556A592A.jpeg

would this pin hole be where the fluid spews from..? I've been looking at photos of the differential and i can't find anything remotely similar to a breather, the closest thing i can think of as a little "pressure relief" is this pin hole...
EFE1C214-F817-4F8D-85B6-82ACD5CCB48F.jpeg

or this circled in blue...
0A753FE2-CCA4-4D99-8B17-69785E757B73.jpeg

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My boroscope died otherwise I would have been able to get under the car and see for sure where it was coming from....I have another one that should be here soon.

My thoughts are that maybe some of these cars are overfilled from the factory and causes the fluid to puke out through the breather hole.

Slvr_Mk5

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium
Posted on another thread, but I noticed mine was leaking around 1700-1800ish miles. Car has not been launched nor driven hard.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium

Resurrecting a very old thread. My intermittent drip never completely went away and I finally took it back again for another try. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix this time.
Diffleak2.jpg

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Resurrecting a very old thread. My intermittent drip never completely went away and I finally took it back again for another try. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix this time.
Diffleak2.jpg
Deng they replaced the whole diff cover because of a "possible" porous cover? Overkill but I guess its doing something - my opinion is it will keep weeping through the breather hole. My diff didn't have any leaks from the fill or drain plugs, you could tell it was coming from the breather hole.
Sponsored