2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

mikenogo

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
is350
I need/want a fun weekend car, I already have a lexus is350 that i enjoy using for daily driving, but i've been missing the "fun" of driving for a while. One criteria was to have a manual transmission, because it's "fun". I don't care much about lap times because I'm never going to go pro or anything. If this car is a dissapointment in that aspect, I will probably have to look at M2, Cayman or used 911.
Sponsored

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
If the Supra isn't offered in manual, what (60k or more?) Sportscar would you guys opt out for instead? Just curious. :hmm:

Also, who's owned or owns a new 60k+ sportscar?
A second 6spd manual MKIV Supra. At least thatā€™s my plan. Prices are about that now for the MKIVs so itā€™s comparable. I donā€™t need new. I need a driverā€™s car and automatics donā€™t do that for me (personally speaking).

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After reading this thread, potentially because of the partnership with BMW, maybe Toyota agreed to not putting a manual in the Supra...just a thought....
To me and in my humble opinion, Toyota never really bothered to understand who Supra owners were to begin with. If they did, Iā€™m pretty sure they wouldā€™ve seen the poor fit between them and BMW for such an important car. It feels forced and with a lot of concessions. It didnā€™t make sense to me when it was first announced and it makes even less sense now that details are beginning to come out.

Iā€™ve been a loyal Toyota/Lexus owner for 15 years whether for daily use or play but when I say Iā€™m brand loyal to them, Iā€™m not sure what that means anymore - it doesnā€™t seem to me like they do either.... or their identity has been lost in the desire for profit like every other brand.

Last edited:

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I see mkiv turbos going for 35-40k on a weekly basis

If you're paying 60k, that thing better be super mint lol
Show me one in good shape, hardtop, and under 100k miles and Iā€™m on it LOL

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
ahh, you're a hardtop fan (I am too despite owning a targa); that definitely changes things.

that said, most are easily under 100k miles despite being targa.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With market conditions Iā€™d probably be open to a targa but my preference is of course hardtop. I wish I could find a fairly unmolested one for that 35-40k. Forum for sale sections and Autotrader have left me wishing I bought a few years ago when prices were reasonable and consistently in the 30-40k range.

I do think that an auto fits a particular demographic of car enthusiasts. Unfortunately itā€™s a quality Iā€™m having a very hard time moving past.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my personal thoughts are that Tada was forced into doing auto only, but I don't know the actual reasons... I asked him and the main junior engineer about the transmission choices, and they were both hesitant and visually distraught when I said that the manual trans was essential for a successful Supra.

pretty odd conversation, although this was a long time ago.
I feel bad for them cause politcs usually shuts them up and their voices can't be heard. I wonder how things would have gone if the LFA was half the cost as it was and garnered just a bit of profit? At least to the point toyota has faith to put money forward to spend on R&D?

Each collaboration suggests toyota does not want to spend money without finding a way to cut cost by all means, even by partnering with some questionable brands.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, basically Akio would create even more sports cars, but the board doesn't even want what they have now. To further complicate that, they didn't want to approve anything until they were shown the success of the 86.

Only after the 86 did they actually approve the Supra, and even now they put up with both in disdain. It's just how car companies are now sadly; almost all R&D aside from refreshes of say Camry, Sienna, etc is done on autonomous driving and alternative fuel.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, basically Akio would create even more sports cars, but the board doesn't even want what they have now. To further complicate that, they didn't want to approve anything until they were shown the success of the 86.

Only after the 86 did they actually approve the Supra, and even now they put up with both in disdain. It's just how car companies are now sadly; almost all R&D aside from refreshes of say Camry, Sienna, etc is done on autonomous driving and alternative fuel.
Yeah, I recently talked to a little birdy that told me that the reason we aren't getting a manual is because of incompatibility with Toyota Safety Sense. And while BMW and Mazda both offer systems that will continue braking in a panic stop after the car stalls, Toyota was not happy with the results they had with their system in a manual trans. I personally feel like BMW and Mazda's systems work fine, but I don't know the intricacies of Toyota Safety Sense to know why their system was not as successful.

Regardless, it is hugely important to Toyota to have Safety Sense standardized across their lineup as they are trying to be early to market before the government mandates kick in and everyone has similar systems as standard. Unfortunately for us, this is a far higher priority than a manual transmission in a sports car, one that the board is already reluctant to put money into.

All this being said, money talks, and if we can show enough market support for a manual trans, then maybe we can change some minds at Toyota. Just don't get your hopes too high up... :confused:

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
A great example of how important static distribution is, because the 718 is much better than the 911.
True.

But you're missing my point here!

What i meant is that even the tail-heavy, 911's that has had a not -seemingly- optimum weight distribution have overcome that by intelligent suspension design. They can even take advantage of it as explained here in layman terms (although this looks like a paid ad, but its still engineering nonetheless)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
that is sort of scary to think about...especially considering the weight concerns.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Yeah, I recently talked to a little birdy that told me that the reason we aren't getting a manual is because of incompatibility with Toyota Safety Sense. And while BMW and Mazda both offer systems that will continue braking in a panic stop after the car stalls, Toyota was not happy with the results they had with their system in a manual trans. I personally feel like BMW and Mazda's systems work fine, but I don't know the intricacies of Toyota Safety Sense to know why their system was not as successful.
But surely with Safety Sense installed in current vehicles with a manual transmission (Corolla, iM, Tacoma, Yaris) is decent enough, no? Safety Sense is good (I suppose), but at what cost?!? The manual transmission?

The cost is too high!

Jeff
Sponsored