2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I disagree, as does Toyota. A safety system must return control to the driver immediately without compromise, otherwise it's not viable.
Sponsored

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
it is an issue i believe because you have that kickback if the engine stops while in gear , so if the cars stops at point A , someone that is in point A+10 cm could be damaged.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Not just that. You have to be able to immediately move the car if you are stuck in an intersection or other less than ideal position. The list goes on...

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I wonder how the Keiichi feels about the A90 being Auto only?

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
so, at this point there are exactly 4 years to make all cars compatible with AEB. Toyota made TSS standard in 2016 and apparently make AEB standard at the end of 2017.

I'd say nearly all auto makers will have automatic only lineups by 2020 (at the latest) unless they spend a ton of money to figure out how to allow the car to take over the manual trans, clutch, etc and not stall the engine when implementing AEB. Right now there are already other cars in the US that have had AEB (did not know this), but they are auto only obviously, and there is a general feeling of apprehension industry wide in regards to lawsuits when it comes to not having this system absolutely perfected before street use.

Why Toyota is so ahead of other automakers on this (check out BMW compliance for possible answers on the Z4)
Something interesting though, is that the 2019 Corolla Hatchback in the USA is getting the new driveline along with the new generation Auris architecture, and along with the new 2.0L M20A-FKS engine it is including a 6MT for both the SE and XSE grades. I assume this is the newly developed 6MT that Toyota announced a week or two ago in Geneva.

So if Toyota is moving forward with making AEB standard, and is also introducing new manual transmission models as well, it seems like the work is already done, no?

I mean, it would possibly mean engineering other new transmissions for various driveline setups (such as the Tacoma, etc.) and that may not be viable, but it seems like they've already got at least some work done into making manuals work moving forward.

EDIT: This is not to mention other models that have had pre-collision systems with manual already, such as the 2018 Corolla, Corolla/iM, Tacoma and older models like the IS220d and IS250 with pre-collision.

Jeff

Last edited:

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Something interesting though, is that the 2019 Corolla Hatchback or iM in the USA is getting the new driveline along with the new generation Auris architecture, and along with the new 2.0L engine it is including a 6MT for both the SE and XSE grades. I assume this is the newly developed 6MT that Toyota announced a week or two ago in Geneva.

So if Toyota is moving forward with making AEB standard, and is also introducing new manual transmission models as well, it seems like the work is already done, no?

I mean, it would possibly mean engineering other new transmissions for various driveline setups (such as the Tacoma, etc.) and that may not be viable, but it seems like they've already got at least some work done into making manuals work moving forward.

EDIT: This is not to mention other models that have had pre-collision systems with manual already, such as the 2018 iM, Tacoma and older models like the IS220d and IS250 with pre-collision.

Jeff
I had no idea about this..^ Excellent post.

Quoting this for no other reason than. HOPE.

C'mon Toyota lets do this. Auto only is not acceptable,

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I wish toyota made TSS available on all their cars.. even a 2019 4Runner isnā€™t available with TSS at all.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
I wish toyota made TSS available on all their cars.. even a 2019 4Runner isnā€™t available with TSS at all.
While this is true, the 4Runner is the only all-Toyota model in their USA lineup that does not have TSS. The only other two are the 86 and the Yaris Sedan/iA, which are manufactured by Subaru and Mazda respectively, the latter being an entirely rebadged existing Mazda model.

As far as the 2019 4Runner goes, have they announced any features/specs yet for it beyond the TRD Pro changes? I wouldn't be surprised to see it without TSS, but was just curious.

Jeff

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I'm always surprised to see such demand for TSS on these enthusiast forums. It's great stuff, I just didn't think most people cared that much, and it generally complicates a vehicle in ways that people who work on them or modify them don't want to deal with. People on the Tacoma forums are always talking about picking up a new model with TSS, while I expected them to be looking for pre-TSS trucks to keep them simple. Things are changing I guess and Toyota has a good system leading the way.

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
I'm always surprised to see such demand for TSS on these enthusiast forums.
I'm suprised as well, as I would even take away the steering wheel air bag if I could... I'd rather wear a four-point and head restrainer than have an explosive charge in front of my face.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
C'mon Toyota lets do this. Auto only is not acceptable,
Exactly why if thereā€™s no manual offered, Iā€™ll just put another 6spd MKIV in the garage. Still think the MKIV is timeless in looks so it wouldnā€™t be a sacrifice (for me).

...and of course if car manufacturers want to completely get rid of manuals altogether (with the exception of your typical daily driver which I enjoy having auto for), I guess Iā€™ll just be stuck in the 90s for my fun cars.... seems like that time was the beginning of the end of wanting a connection with your car or a car with any kind of unique soul anyway.

And with all that negativity spouted from me, I still have a very small sliver of hope that Toyota wonā€™t screw this up.... getting smaller by the day, but itā€™s there.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm always surprised to see such demand for TSS on these enthusiast forums. It's great stuff, I just didn't think most people cared that much, and it generally complicates a vehicle in ways that people who work on them or modify them don't want to deal with. People on the Tacoma forums are always talking about picking up a new model with TSS, while I expected them to be looking for pre-TSS trucks to keep them simple. Things are changing I guess and Toyota has a good system leading the way.
I'm suprised as well, as I would even take away the steering wheel air bag if I could... I'd rather wear a four-point and head restrainer than have an explosive charge in front of my face.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009ā€“11_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

"The recall came at a difficult time for Toyota, as it was struggling to emerge from the recession and had already suffered from a resultant decrease in sales,[147] and the low exchange rate from yen to US dollars.[148] Also, it was estimated that each Toyota dealership in the US could lose between US$1.75 million to US$2 million a month in revenue, a total loss of US$2,470 million across the country from the entire incident.[8] Additionally, Toyota Motors as a whole announced that it could face losses totaling as much as US$2,000 million from lost output and sales worldwide.[72] Between 25 January and 29 January 2010 Toyota shares fell in value by 15%.[149]

According to analysts, Toyota owners (including owners of cars not recalled) may also be economically affected by the recall, as the damage to Toyota's reputation could negatively affect the resale value of used cars"

I wonder why they are so serious about safety above everything?

:(
Sponsored