2020 Toyota Supra Officially Announced, Debuts in January (Detroit Auto Show)

Will the "embargo" be broken before Detroit?

• Yes, the press embargo will be broken before the Detroit Auto Show.

• No, automotive journalists may be tempted... but it won't happen.

• What's an "embargo"?

• It's 2021, I know what happened.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
It’s only 11 days left to the world premiere and 5 more til first public accessibility. I will be there on 19th at 9 am. Who else will? Is anyone interested in meeting other guys from SupraMKV.com?

I would be happy if we could create an own thread for user-taken pics. I’d share mine and hope lots more of you would do the same.
Sponsored

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
Will the "embargo" be broken before Detroit?

For those that don't know, a "press embargo" happens when automakers release details (specs and pics) to the press, ahead of an event. With the express consent (under penalty of death I presume), that said info won't be released beforehand. An event like the 2019 NAIAS Detroit Auto Show. This is done so sites and blogs can produce content within seconds after the car's debut. Here's the question:

With all of the A90 Supra leaks that have occurred, will someone risk the wrath of Toyota and break the embargo agreement?

Bosstee

First Name
Bastian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Highly doubt it, but if so, then not directly from one of the journalists.
Usually if someone gives you those details, they'll make you sign something like an NDA which makes you liable for damages. So with this in mind and likelyhood of that person loosing their job it's doubtfull someone would do it for kicks or a few minutes of internet fame.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
^ +1 any outlets that care about not getting blacklisted from the press list and possibly sued shouldn't lol.
They could probably lose their "badge" with a stunt like that tbh

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, I looked into this a bit during some down time, and both were likely punished. I also found several other examples of different press breaking embargos and suffering the consequences.

as expected, it's rare if not non existent to see any kind of litigation, but there is definitely some blacklisting based on personnel and/or blocking access to products for a given period of time if not forever (latter is very rare).

so, it appears companies use this bit of leniency to periodically break embargos if they feel it is completely worth it.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

Sadfhorde

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Mitsubishi Evo X MR, 2010 BMW M3, 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63S
The GT500 is intriguing for folks like myself who have only previously owned/driven cars focused on handling and precision rather than brute force speed. I'm still eagerly awaiting the MKV for my next addition, but at the same time some part of me cannot resist the appeal of potentially adding a straight-line rocket to my garage.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Those air vents look like mini lasers for some reason
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.