2021 Lexus IS Sedan + IS500 F SPORT

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I think they are underrating it. I believe the RC-F can do it in 4.1 sec via C&D test.

Unless you have kids and can only have one car. Note to self, never having kids. Wrap it before you tap it. :p
Regardless, that’s still not as fast as it should be considering the power plant in it. Can we all agree, the 5.0 in the Lexus’s aren’t for “us.” They are bulletproof and smooth stock, but have zero aftermarket support. The MKV Supra can gain 100+hp with a dp and tune. My wallet is already sweating just thinking how much it would cost to attempt to make 100+hp out of a Lexus V8. Just sayin...

Now, that TORSEN diff....hmmm.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Regardless, that’s still not as fast as it should be considering the power plant in it. Can we all agree, the 5.0 in the Lexus’s aren’t for “us.” They are bulletproof and smooth stock, but have zero aftermarket support. The MKV Supra can gain 100+hp with a dp and tune. My wallet is already sweating just thinking how much it would cost to attempt to make 100+hp out of a Lexus V8. Just sayin...

Now, that TORSEN diff....hmmm.
Well I mean comparing the two in the first place is apples to oranges.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I'm also seeing "$55k" being throw around a lot. I'm assuming people are using the price differences between the 3rd gen GS to predict pricing for the IS500.

GS350: $46,900
GS460: $55,370

Differences: $8,470 ($9,849 with inflation)

IS350: $42,900
IS500: $52,749

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Even if that is close to starting price tag it will probably be closer to $60k once you start adding on all the options and packages.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I mean comparing the two in the first place is apples to oranges.
The way this car is being marketed....doesn’t seem all too different from a MKV Supra, that’s all I'm sayin. If 4 doors is key, grab an RS3. Hey that rhymes!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
The way this car is being marketed....doesn’t seem all too different from a MKV Supra, that’s all I'm sayin. If 4 doors is key, grab an RS3. Hey that rhymes!
Because they have a vid of it revving and on the track? How many countless other products did they do that for? To each their own. I also factor reliability and resale.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
A fully loaded IS350 F Sport is like $55k and the RC-F starts at $65.9k. So maybe somewhere in the middle for the IS500, like $60k?

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
It looks like only North America is getting this car.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/927839...nce-revealed-with-352kw-v8-not-for-australia/

Don't expect to see the V8-powered range-topper in Australia, with Lexus Australia CEO Scott Thompson confirming to CarAdvice the model will "only [be] produced in left-hand drive unfortunately".

The brand's press release also touts the IS500 as "designed exclusively for the North American market", indicating the Middle East and other key left-hand-drive markets will also miss out.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I'm also seeing "$55k" being throw around a lot. I'm assuming people are using the price differences between the 3rd gen GS to predict pricing for the IS500.

GS350: $46,900
GS460: $55,370

Differences: $8,470 ($9,849 with inflation)

IS350: $42,900
IS500: $52,749
That's also around the same ball park for the Germans.

BMW M340i: $55,695
Mercedes-AMG C43: $56,945
Audi S4: $50,945

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because they have a vid of it revving and on the track? How many countless other products did they do that for? To each their own. I also factor reliability and resale.
Reliability hands down, nothing beats a Toyota/Lexus. I just feel like cars like this are going to suffer the same fate as the GS-F, stuck in limbo not knowing why they were created. I wish Lexus the best of luck for this car....hopefully they can focus more on the V6TT and make a 500hp variant to stuff in a future ISF.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Reliability hands down, nothing beats a Toyota/Lexus. I just feel like these cars are going to suffer the same fate as the GS-F, stuck in limbo not knowing why they were created. I wish Lexus the best of luck for this car....hopefully they can focus more on the V6TT and make a 500hp variant to stuff in a future ISF.
To put it politely, from reading some of your points I feel like you're being disappointed for reasons that don't really make sense or even exist. Go on Reddit, Lexus Enthusiast, or even Lexus' own website and do some research.

This is the birth of a new tier for the F Performance lineup called the F-Sport Performance. This car tier-wise slots BELOW the GS F/RC F and above a car that has a F-Sport trim. It doesn't have a ton of the GS F's or RC F's performance enhancing parts.

Also the insanely huge LC500 rips to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. The IS500 is a whopping 400+ lbs lighter than the LC500 so you can easily deduce that it will for sure go very low 4's and MAYBE even high 3's. It won't be a match for the GR Supra because the GR Supra is one of the quickest sports cars in production that goes to 60 mph at its respective price point. Almost nothing in its price range beats it to 60 mph, and like @2JZ-No-Sh*t correctly says, that is truly an apples to oranges comparison.

I still maintain that the GR Supra will be a future legend and even a collectible maybe, but so will this IS500. Lexus is just following normal TMC protocols and underrates their specs. This one is quite an egregious example.

This car will also 100% be cheaper. My guess is high 50's starting price. This is one hell of a fucking car and a ton of enthusiasts and fans are raving about it. Some are openly saying that they're going to put deposits now. I read one comment saying that they've been looking to get into the Lexus brand and this is the perfect entry for them. This car will do fine. More than fine even.

Lexus not only just shattered the internet, but they also put the Europeans (and poor Acura, my heart goes out to them as they were about to bring out the TLX Type-S and Lexus just steals their thunder and just stomped on them) on notice.

This isn't a limited production car, this is a normal car that's performance oriented. That's a first for Lexus when it comes to the F performance structure, but in reality they've only just reentered into a game that they've left several years ago.

The chassis is just a peach and when the 3IS got refreshed the engine bay was specifically accommodated to have a larger engine, namely the 2UR-GSE.

I can confidently tell you that there will be absolutely no turbo engines for this generation and you'd need to wait until this generation subsides. With this release it is officially obvious that all of the twin-turbocharged V6's and V8's as well as the 10-Speed automatic will be meant for cars that has the TNGA platform.

I would be immensely shocked that they shoehorn in either the V6 or V8 in the fully blown F car. It wouldn't be surprising in a way that the F car needs to be more powerful than the F-Sport Performance cars but would be shocking because it looks like the newer engines aren't meant for cars that sit on the older platforms, and which if they did do so it would mean that it would cost a ton for them to implement and for the consumer that would mean it costs godlike levels of money to buy. So in conclusion, this generation will go on with no turbocharged power plants above the 4-cylinder turbo.

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Reliability hands down, nothing beats a Toyota/Lexus. I just feel like cars like this are going to suffer the same fate as the GS-F, stuck in limbo not knowing why they were created. I wish Lexus the best of luck for this car....hopefully they can focus more on the V6TT and make a 500hp variant to stuff in a future ISF.
The problem with the "GS-F" was the expensive $85k starting price tag. Even the cheaper M550i out performed it. So far the feedback for the IS500 have been pretty good. I just hope Lexus learn their lesson and don't overprice it. IMO, $60k or less would be fair. I agree, I think this was just their last attempt for a good old V8 before switching to TT V6, TT V6 hybrid, EV, etc.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with the "GS-F" was the expensive $85k starting price tag. Even the cheaper M550i out performed it. So far the feedback for the IS500 have been pretty good. I just hope Lexus learn their lesson and don't overprice it. IMO, $60k or less would be fair. I agree, I think this was just their last attempt for a good old V8 before switching to TT V6, TT V6 hybrid, EV, etc.
Right, I just think the different tier IS’s were fine as is, and to spend extra time and money on a V8 variant that’s not really a true “F” car is (to me) wasted efforts. It will be a nice collector piece one day for sure because of it’s limited numbers, but hopefully they don’t continue with the 5.0 V8...it doesn’t seem to have caught on like they expected. Do you agree? Now, do I hate it? No. Would I ever buy one? No. I had a 2nd Gen IS350 when they first came out. The car made sense at the time because it competed well with BMW M3’s of it’s day (not as good, but almost there for much less). It was relevant for the market at the time. This car (IS 500) I’m still trying to understand where it is relevant in today’s market? What segment does this fall under? Just another IS with a V8?
Sponsored