2021 Locked ECU w/ Bolt ons

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You cannot install Ecutek with the "Normal" (or "bandaid" unlock, as @dethred likes to call it), because the license for Ecutek lives in the SWFA/Memory area two, which is not unlocked by Femto's partial/Cal Only unlock.

You cannot run flex on any of the calibration-only tables, but you can have a 93 and an E50 map or whatever- you just cannot swap these maps on the fly, they'll require a reflash.

Flex != Ethanol Tune.
Thanks, I’ll edit this to not include ecutek on the normal Femto unlock.
Sponsored

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
You cannot install Ecutek with the "Normal" (or "bandaid" unlock, as @dethred likes to call it), because the license for Ecutek lives in the SWFA/Memory area two, which is not unlocked by Femto's partial/Cal Only unlock.

You cannot run flex on any of the calibration-only tables, but you can have a 93 and an E50 map or whatever- you just cannot swap these maps on the fly, they'll require a reflash.

Flex != Ethanol Tune.
That is probably the most crucial info. If you find yourself without ethanol, or a bad blend, and you're tuned for e50, then you're screwed until you can remedy the situation. This is the kind of thing that makes me call it a bandaid. And it's not like you can just switch to a pump fuel map, or have a separate map for each 10 ethanol percent as a workaround.

And for those that will only run pump fuel, is it really worth the additional cost and risk over JB4? That's a value judgement for sure. But if I could go to my local tuner and have this done it would probably be worthwhile.

Or unlock multiple DMEs and switch those out instead of reflashing.🤣. I am sort of regretting not getting a 2020 DME when Jesse and I were spitballing about trying to use a 2020 DME to find a solution (before Femto had any unlocks available)

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can, but it's a reflash. But I understand what you're saying.
Unless you can reflash at the pump, yeah it's problematic in my opinion. I'm thinking it's a laptop and flashing software procedure?

Reactions: zrk

MiamiMKVSupra

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Unless you can reflash at the pump, yeah it's problematic in my opinion. I'm thinking it's a laptop and flashing software procedure?
MHD I would say is very user friendly You can reflash simply by loading up the app on the phone and flashing the new map. Takes seconds and can be done at the pump. Just have to carry a little obd flasher which is what lets the app communicate with the car.

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ok. Question. After reading everything. If I wanna max out at 475-500 HP. Already have full bolt ons. Would the 93 “bandaid” tune work for me. The non-cloning option

Reactions: zrk

Dr. Supra

First Name
Danyoll
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Nitro Yellow
Ok. Question. After reading everything. If I wanna max out at 475-500 HP. Already have full bolt ons. Would the 93 “bandaid” tune work for me. The non-cloning option
With e30 and meth to hit 500whp on jb4. Just e30, 470whp. On bm3/mhd 500whp takes custom e40 only.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Takes 7 seconds to flash a new map on MHD from my phone:
D570CAA3-A9C4-4B53-B205-8AC47DA46ACF.png

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
MHD/BM3 are flash from phone. The limitation with the cal-only unlock is that you cannot store all the maps on the ECU for easy access later. The output tables are the same.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MHD/BM3 are flash from phone. The limitation with the cal-only unlock is that you cannot store all the maps on the ECU for easy access later. The output tables are the same.
The available maps have to be stored on the ECU? Seems like problem solved if you can store them on a phone and switch them as needed. Probably way more expensive, but you could just have 4 maps (pump, e30, e40, e50) and switch at the time of fill up.

Only other question is the risk involved with flashing. Can you theoretically brick the ECU if something goes wrong during the flash?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The available maps have to be stored on the ECU? Seems like problem solved if you can store them on a phone and switch them as needed. Probably way more expensive, but you could just have 4 maps (pump, e30, e40, e50) and switch at the time of fill up.
For 'hot map switching' where you hold a steering wheel button and they change on the fly. (Real time map switching- requires clone)

You can store 4 maps on your phone (pump, 30, 40, 50) and switch at fill-up with your phone. (can do with MHD).

That said, E40 and E30 maps are going to be nearly identical. So you'd probably just have a 93, low-ethanol, and E50.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
MHD I would say is very user friendly You can reflash simply by loading up the app on the phone and flashing the new map. Takes seconds and can be done at the pump. Just have to carry a little obd flasher which is what lets the app communicate with the car.
BM3 is the same, flash with the phone, takes less than 7 seconds, literally.

Jrob

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.graveyardperformance.com
Car(s)
21 3.0 Premium
Just to clarify; the FEMTO clone service pricing? for those who have done it , what did it end up costing all around?
You can either go directly through FEMTO or through a vendor. GTP Motorsports charges $1200 all in for unlock and $1700 for clone. If you go through FEMTO directly you can save about $300-$400, but you have to setup DHL shipping and it isn't as easy as walking in and giving them the address to FEMTO.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For 'hot map switching' where you hold a steering wheel button and they change on the fly.

You can store 4 maps on your phone (pump, 30, 40, 50) and switch at fill-up with your phone.
Interesting, if a pure 800 alternative is ever readily available I may have to think about this bandaid 😅. I wonder if it can be integrated with the JB4 methanol control. I guess I could run JB4 still just for methanol (even though the fail safe trigger doesn't work), but it would be annoying swapping obd2 plugs for map switching.
Sponsored