2021 Toyota Supra meets the BMW M2 CS: the Mk4's real successor | Jason Cammisa on the Icons Ep. 01

Stuhagen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SupraMKiV-R35GTR
A friend sent this video link. Not sure if previously posted, but who's supra is in this. (has my LED upgrades) I have watched MANY 2020/2021 Supra comparison videos but this one is now my most favorite. It delves all the way back to the Celica Supra forward. It also compares to the BMW version. He does somewhat "bash" the new Supra and says hands down the other BMW M series (manual) is by far the best of all.
He also goes into the "History" of the MKiV and the design reasoning of the new Supra..
Sponsored

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
To be fair, the M2 CS is a fantastic car. However i find it to be so incredibly overpriced for what it offers. The M2 Competition should have gotten the active suspension imo.

Personally i hate BMW manual transmissions. I had the M2 Competition with 6MT before i traded it for the Supra, and honestly it was terrible to live with. I enjoy the ZF8 so much more in the Supra.

This is a great video though

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.

First off, I have to acknowledge the incredible production quality, it's one of the best and give me some old Top Gear vibes, I really enjoyed the takes, the quality and the sound.

Having said that, the content itself, well, I'll be honest. I think some of these reviewers are trying to create a narrative that give more views and create more controversy, and they are not truly objective (for instance, Savagegeese, he is truly objective, also great quality btw).

Frist problem, comparing a 1000 whp MK4 with a Stock MK5. What's the point? Why not comparing with a highly modded MK5 doing 8s in the 1/4 mile? Well, that won't give the correct results, as it may downplay the MK4 a bit, and this is a no no in the car community, so in order to keep the MK4 in the pedestal, then they must show how the MK5 is not capable. This is the same reason why they don't compare a stock MK5 with a stock MK4, again, incorrect results.

Second problem, his narrative pretty much is: In order for the M2 CS to be a great sports car, then the MK5 Supra should not be a sports car, they are mutually exclusive or something. This really triggers me, how in the world the MK5 is not a sports car? It's a truly dedicated 2 seat platform, RWD with a Twin Scroll Turbo Inline 6. On what world that is not a sports car? Just because is not manual? Or because stock is slower than a 1000 hp MK4?

Then the high quality of the production must mean that what he says is immutable truth, and once more, the narrative of "nice bmw" remains. I am kind of sick of this.

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
How many times are people going to keep posting this vid :rofl:
Really? I used the search function with the title of the video and found nothing, I'll search for the video ID instead, maybe it will look in the metadata of the post.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Nice video. Discovered this today. Interesting look at Supra evolution and BMW tech and capability with respect to the CS M2. I like this reviewer and the production quality is excellent.

No matter what anyone says - always drive what you like no matter.

th365thli

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Ram 1500
It's obvious Cammisa has a bias against the MKV. I know for a fact he has visited and posts on supraforums, and we all know what an...."interesting" place that is.

Honestly besides the production values it's a poor video. Racing a stock MKV against a heavily modded MKIV was hilarious, as if that made any significant point. Then claiming it wasn't a "sports car" (newsflash, the A80 wasn't either), while claiming the M2 is a better buy, despite the M2 being significantly more expensive.

There's a reddit thread on this video and he didn't respond to any of the criticisms. No doubt the guy is very knowledgeable and a skilled driver but I think he missed the mark on this video.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
It's obvious Cammisa has a bias against the MKV. I know for a fact he has visited and posts on supraforums, and we all know what an...."interesting" place that is.

Honestly besides the production values it's a poor video. Racing a stock MKV against a heavily modded MKIV was hilarious, as if that made any significant point. Then claiming it wasn't a "sports car" (newsflash, the A80 wasn't either), while claiming the M2 is a better buy, despite the M2 being significantly more expensive.

There's a reddit thread on this video and he didn't respond to any of the criticisms. No doubt the guy is very knowledgeable and a skilled driver but I think he missed the mark on this video.

How is your Ram 1500 holding up?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

Yeah, I got the same vibe watching that video. Not to forget he's specifically focusing on the CS which is even harder to score than a regular M2 or an M2C. Also I'm not buying for one second the part where he was "trying his hardest" but the CS was drifting and keeping up.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but people seem to overlook the cost difference. When I was shopping most new M2 CS's were a good $30K more than the Supra and even more than a pretty well loaded C8 Corvette. Didn't make any sense to me from a price standpoint and really not a good comparison. Your looking at a used M2 (non CS) at that point compared to a pretty loaded 3.0 Supra new.
Sponsored