The Supra vs Z4!

Which one are you interested in purchasing?

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If it's a BMW engine - volume will increase for what's already out there. If it's a new Toyota engine - it gives the tuner suppliers a new project to work on.

The real question is are they offering a non hybrid version? and I don't mean a 4 cyl. non hybrid. Because if it's hybrid only, not too sure how the tuner world will look.
Sponsored

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
If it's a BMW engine - volume will increase for what's already out there. If it's a new Toyota engine - it gives the tuner suppliers a new project to work on.

The real question is are they offering a non hybrid version? and I don't mean a 4 cyl. non hybrid. Because if it's hybrid only, not too sure how the tuner world will look.
Man what a downer that'd be if the Supra finally returned but only in hybrid version!

To answer @Yoyoma question, the engine tuning market for a BMW engine would not only be bigger (think of how many BMW models already run the possible engines that will go into the Supra) but it'd be immediately available. If it's a new or relatively new Toyota engine, it'd take a while for tuners to get their hands on and test out their tuning solutions.

Rod.S

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FJ
Besides the engine, are we suspecting any other components will potentially be off the shelf BMW parts? If it realy ends up a BMW engine will the transmission be also?

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
Regardless of the engine ... I'll probably preserve my warranty for a year or 2. I'll let you guys do all the initial testing. :rolleyes:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
BMW, you don't really see many people doing much to modern day Toyotas.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
BMW, you don't really see many people doing much to modern day Toyotas.
disagree here. The FJ aftermarket is huge. I haven't followed the 86, but I suspect there are some tuners out there spending money.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Too much overhang for my taste :thumbsdown:. Hopefully it will look better once the camo comes off.

pat28

First Name
patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus rc
http://www.caradvice.com.au/588438/...anything-like-the-toyota-supra-bmw-boss-says/

As BMW ramps up co-development of the next-generation BMW Z4 with Toyota, BMW’s local boss wants to assure purists that the final Z4 product won’t be anything like its Japanese counterpart.

Speaking exclusively to CarAdvice at the recent 1 and 2 Series LCI launch, BMW Group Australia CEO Marc Werner said the new Z4 will still be “an ultimate driving machine”.

The Toyota tie-up, no surprise, is to take advantage of the cost benefits that come with sharing investment and combining resources.

“It’s definitely economies of scale [the reason for this collaboration],” Werner said.

“Product development of each and every car costs you a couple of billion dollars, and the roadster segment is unfortunately declining over the last couple of years — not only for us [BMW], but each and every manufacturer.

“So we decided to join forces with Toyota, as far as the development process is concerned. As far as the design is concerned, it will be absolutely unique. Not only in terms of design, but how they drive and how they handle.”

BMW recently revealed the BMW Concept Z4 at the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance, and again at the Frankfurt motor show in September, and it shows a very different styling direction to Toyota’s FT-1 coupe concept.

The BMW product is expected to remain premium, taking advantage of the company’s iDrive infotainment system and the high-end finishes expected from a product in this segment and price bracket.

When asked whether the end result would be as close a relationship as that between the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ, Werner promised the connection between the two vehicles would be far harder to identify.

“It will be absolutely a unique BMW product, as you would expect,” Werner said.

soundman414

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
This is a reassuring piece, when it comes to the concerns that the interior will be looking BMW-esque. However, it is also a bit concerning that he remarks the two cars will feel completely different. Whether that is him just trying to posture that it won't be the same car with different sheetmetal, or if he really means they will drive dramatically different, will come after they roll off the line. I wouldn't want the Supra to be too track focused and a bitch to drive on regular roads and with regular traffic, just as much as I don't want it to be a super soft GT. So I hope Toyota tunes it for fun with moderation.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind the source here, as caradvice.com.au is part of that team of websites that gleefully writes whatever they want.

Not to say that the cars won't drive uniquely, and I truly hope they do, but this website has been known to write whatever the public wants to hear, for views.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Keep in mind the source here, as caradvice.com.au is part of that team of websites that gleefully writes whatever they want.

Not to say that the cars won't drive uniquely, and I truly hope they do, but this website has been known to write whatever the public wants to hear, for views.
Seems like every source out of Australia is complete BS. Not sure why that is.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I wouldn't say all of Australia's auto media is fake news.

Motoring.au was right about the sub 86 car

Published: Friday, 21 August 2015

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/toyota/tokyo-motor-show-toyota-small-fr-concept-53346

ge5406382500811517986.jpg

vs the real thing.

Toyota-S-FR-Concept.jpg

They were actually one of the 1st sites to report the next LS may get a fuel-cell version.

Published : Friday, 19 December 2014

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/201...lexus/lexus-plotting-hydrogen-limousine-48278

And what have we learned.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/10/28/videos-the-lexus-lf-fc-flagship-concept/

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Th
ey also told us there was a 4 door version of the 86 that got the green light (https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-plotting-86-sedan-39370/) and got my hopes up about this nice looking FR hatch (https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-86s-little-brother-exposed-45381/), which looking back I guess came to be the SFR. Probably both based on some solid information that just ended up fading away.

Maybe I'm just still upset because I wanted both of these lol.
Projects do get canned at the last minute. Look no farther than the Honda HSV.

They weren't exactly lying about a roadster and shooting brake. The problem is sales are falling so Toyota does not want invest if they are uncertain about the return.

toy-86-shooting-brake-concept-04-1.jpg

FT-86_19_GMS_2013.jpg
Sponsored