LostR

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Good afternoon.. First post here...

About to sell my Type R Just kind of bummed out that our stock internals start breaking around 420/450 whp /torque..

Looking to build on a new platform... That being said.. my options were.. NEWER supra.. OR heavily used GTRs... So with reliability in mind.. i went Supra..

NOW... On to the nitty gritty....

if I plan on shooting for 500+ WHP, I have access to E85 all around so Cal so no big issues there.
I understand 2021 gets an upgraded engine out of factory etc... BUT... If goign to heavily modify my car. is it worth it to just snatch up a used 2020 Supra?.. and if so..

I'm looking at around 48-50k.. that sound about right? before tax title license.

first mods? downpipe + tune? what to expect out of a 2020 vs a 2021... I know suspension is supposedly different, but i'll address that at a later date. (not big on my list).. Just want to give the scat packs a hard time and all these subarus... Was able to do it in my R.. But then those Camaro SS owners started showing up...

thanks for the look. I appreciate any feedback you have to offer me.
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm going to do that thing where you ask first timers to use the search button or just navigate thru few pages as everything you asked have been discussed a gazillion of times..

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I'm going to do that thing where you ask first timers to use the search button or just navigate thru few pages as everything you asked have been discussed a gazillion of times..
What he said! my only input is, if you are looking to tune it right away, look for 2020 as some 2021 model's ECU are locked.

OP
OP

LostR

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Type R
I say either 2020 or 2021 on what the best deal you can get.

Thanks.. Yep.. Going with a 2020... I have about 10k stashed away for mods...

Looking to do these.. please make any suggestions you have..

AMS Catless Downpipe
pure800 turbo
visconti flex fuel kit
boost logix exhaust
bootmod3 (tuning platform)
Eventuri Intake
Cusco front brace

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
There seem to be more modded used cars then unmodified?

Personally I want a unmodified car so some used cars are not a option for me. Probably a new car for me.

Check out the used ones with mods for sale if you plan on modding anyway. There might be some value and money saved if you want the mods anyway?

There are quite a few brand new 2020s also with $3K-$5K cash incentives plus 0%. That means the used 2020s should be that much less money for a used one. I think you should have no problem finding something in your price range.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

AMS Catless Downpipe
pure800 turbo
visconti flex fuel kit
boost logix exhaust
Eventuri Intake
Cusco front brace
Hope you love obnoxiously loud with those options.

Last edited:

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero

AMS Catless Downpipe
pure800 turbo
visconti flex fuel kit
boost logix exhaust
Eventuri Intake
Cusco front brace
If your goal is to beat SS Camaro's and Scat Packs, this setup will do that for sure.

Last edited:

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Anyone driven a 2020 and 2021 for any length of time?

The 2020 I drove felt a little nervous or loose under hard acceleration. It was more noticeable under load in turns with some rough patches. Steering felt a little disconnected, not as much road feel as I would like. I feel like the 2021 felt more connected and more planted? Is the 2021 steering and suspension better or is it placebo?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

The 2020 I drove felt a little nervous or loose under hard acceleration. It was more noticeable under load in turns with some rough patches. Steering felt a little disconnected, not as much road feel as I would like. I feel like the 2021 felt more connected and more planted? Is the 2021 steering and suspension better or is it placebo?
It's better. Was one of the main items they upgraded.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hope you love obnoxiously loud with those options.
I think OP can omit the the boost logix exhaust entirely, save $2500, net the same gains, and end up with something more tolerable on the ears.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012

Yes, you are right. A little twitchy. It has to do with the way the tires track under acceleration and something they knew about but rushed to get these out. I have gotten used to it but would be nice if it tracked cleaner. Other than that, a great car and great fun. I had a 1990 Mitsubishi AWD turbo and dropped a new engine in it (got it in 91 and needed an engine 18 years later) and that was the best tracking car I have ever had, like a slot car but the Supra is just more quality and while I loved the Mit the Supra is more fun and feels better in the seat and ride., etc. etc.
Sponsored