2024 Supra possible diff leak

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Personally I would be taking the fill plug out and checking the fluid level but hey what do I know.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Personally I would be taking the fill plug out and checking the fluid level but hey what do I know.
I agree. I was looking at that plug while cleaning the diff. I plan to buy a Bondus low-profile hex wrench set with a 14mm in it. There doesn't seem to be much rotation angle room, but certainly, fill plugs been removed with this type of wrench by others.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I agree. I was looking at that plug while cleaning the diff. I plan to buy a Bondus low-profile hex wrench set with a 14mm in it. There doesn't seem to be much rotation angle room, but certainly, fill plugs been removed with this type of wrench by others.
If you take the black weight off it's cake to get to. The weight takes like 50 seconds to get off, if that.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also allows you to torque it to spec, which is 44ft/lb
I'll have to get the low-profile hex driver set, then.
Is the o-ring reusable? It is fairly new but whether it is available at the dealership is another story. Also, I have slotted lifting pucks. Would those work or are the square ones required for some reason?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I'll have to get the low-profile hex driver set, then.
Is the o-ring reusable? It is fairly new but whether it is available at the dealership is another story. Also, I have slotted lifting pucks. Would those work or are the square ones required for some reason?
I use a hex socket on an extension and obviously on a torque wrench when tightening it.

You could probably reuse the bolt.

If not, here is the part #:

Toyota: 90118-WA263
BMW: 33117525064

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
What is it supposed to be for?
Itā€™s a vibration dampener. So my car may vibrate more without it but I sure canā€™t tell any difference. I also read somewhere that itā€™s more important for the Z4 being a convertible. Iā€™d bet you couldnā€™t tell a difference on a Z4 either though. Mine has been a paper weight for several years now.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Itā€™s a vibration dampener. So my car may vibrate more without it but I sure canā€™t tell any difference. I also read somewhere that itā€™s more important for the Z4 being a convertible. Iā€™d bet you couldnā€™t tell a difference on a Z4 either though. Mine has been a paper weight for several years now.
Thanks, Jerry. I'll be sure to get the hex bit. Hopefully, I won't need any fluid.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I use a hex socket on an extension and obviously on a torque wrench when tightening it.

You could probably reuse the bolt.

If not, here is the part #:

Toyota: 90118-WA263
BMW: 33117525064
Thanks, Bryan. Of course, I'll thoroughly check the o-ring before reinstalling.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I guess it seems pointless until after some years and accumulated miles you get something like suspension member cracking due to resonant vibrations that the driver doesn't feel but the chassis does. That's also why they are used in some applications and as the name suggests it's a "suspension member damper". Manufacturers dont add this sort of "non consumer appeal/visibility" component for no reason. The difference between the designers and you is they have access to data you don't have and are never likely to have.
My suggestion to owners is to leave things like this in place unless you know specific details about it's intended function or you have no interest in the possible consequences of removing them.

Phil
Sponsored

Last edited: