2024 Supra possible diff leak

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Mark, yes, the dealership has one certified/trained Supra tech and one Supra service advisor. If you've ever seen the car care nut videos on youtube, there are a couple that this Toyota master tech has that are specifically about the MK5 Supra for which he is certified. I would trust that guy to do the work, anyway. I attached one of his videos about Toyota vehicle production factories in a previous post.
You know that the Supra techs only train for like a day or two to get certified. I was told my car was only going to get handled by the supra tech, but the guy that ended up working on it follows me on instagram and messaged me that he worked on it (wasn't certified). Nothing happened but Toyota doesn't really care about the supra.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
You know that the Supra techs only train for like a day or two to get certified. I was told my car was only going to get handled by the supra tech, but the guy that ended up working on it follows me on instagram and messaged me that he worked on it (wasn't certified). Nothing happened but Toyota doesn't really care about the supra.
I don’t know if Toyota doesn’t care. But she’s definitely the (hottest) red headed step child for sure! My BMW dealer paid a lot more interest to her. But even then, they are large dealerships where most go to train on how to change your fluid w/out stripping the threads on the oil drain plug.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Yes, according to the Car Care Nut, he underwent that training about the BMW technology behind the Supra. I would assume that this guy has had previous hands-on experience with Toyota differentials.
I have been in more than a few auto service shops and have witnessed techs helping each other. I really doubt that any manager or owner tells his tech to avoid getting advice/opinions from other techs about service techniques or tooling. Assemblers and service technicians follow protocols that encourage teamwork and not working in isolation.

But make no mistake that Japanese companies DO care about their reputation. They would likely be embarrassed if the Supra were having the myriad of issues that the C8 Corvette has had.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don’t know if Toyota doesn’t care. But she’s definitely the (hottest) red headed step child for sure! My BMW dealer paid a lot more interest to her. But even then, they are large dealerships where most go to train on how to change your fluid w/out stripping the threads on the oil drain plug.
Based upon what I have experienced at the dealership, many employees (especially the younger ones) are proud of the Supra. My guess is that the service folks are overworked, causing them to anger some customers. That's why I may be driving up there to chat in-person.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, according to the Car Care Nut, he underwent that training about the BMW technology behind the Supra. I would assume that this guy has had previous hands-on experience with Toyota differentials.
I have been in more than a few auto service shops and have witnessed techs helping each other. I really doubt that any manager or owner tells his tech to avoid getting advice/opinions from other techs about service techniques or tooling. Assemblers and service technicians follow protocols that encourage teamwork and not working in isolation.

But make no mistake that Japanese companies DO care about their reputation. They would likely be embarrassed if the Supra were having the myriad of issues that the C8 Corvette has had.
My comment had nothing to do with working together and getting advice. Non Supra techs technically "aren't suppose to" work on the car. That's why you can just take your car to any Toyota dealer without a Supra tech there.

My car wasn't even worked on by the supra tech. So they went against their so called policy.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My comment had nothing to do with working together and getting advice. Non Supra techs technically "aren't suppose to" work on the car. That's why you can just take your car to any Toyota dealer without a Supra tech there.

My car wasn't even worked on by the supra tech. So they went against their so called policy.
So your dealership is the same as the one I went to? Most dealerships are independent, based upon what I've seen.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So your dealership is the same as the one I went to? Most dealerships are independent, based upon what I've seen.
I'm just saying like what everyone else is. You put to much faith into the supra tech that probably sat and watched a power point all day just to get certified.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Supra tech photos of leak:

Diff leak1  by Supra tech.JPG

Diff leak2  by Supra tech.JPG
From these images if it's leaking from a seal it' appears to be the half shaft/drive shaft seal not the input/tail shaft shaft seal your tech mentioned. I'd still be looking at the oil level though. If it's venting oil from the breather it still may be running down and getting blown around by airflow giving the appearance of a half shaft/drive shaft seal leak.
Phil

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Toyota paid a survey company to spend 20 minutes with me to rate and pinpoint areas for improvement. Why would they do that if they don't care? I've worked with Japanese engineers and they should be giving lessons to US and German auto company engineers. They consider their reputation to be very important. Consumer Reports just published an issue in which the most to least reliable auto companies are listed. Lexus/Toyota are at the top, where they are every year. Don't kid yourself, Toyota's reputation is very important to them.

I guess I am an optimist, but that's why I will do whatever I can to find root causes and get them reported. In this case, it's not my job; rather, it is my goal and hope.
Don't we all receive this survey phone call for marketing and advertising purposes? I've been in sales and marketing for 16 years and I know that type of phone call when I hear one.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Can confirm.

Awww. 😂

They don't care mate. Your brand new car still has wind buffeting issues that were there four years ago.. maybe stick that in the survey too.
Nothing will change. The GRMN will come in 2025 and will have minimal updates/revisions.