concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Personally if it were me with the history of overfilling and venting I'd Pull the fill/level plug and see if it's overfilled and if it is let it drain to the fill/level port 6 o'clock clean the whole thing down with solvent and monitor it before I let the tech loose on a pinion shaft seal change. Often the " obvious" isn't where the leaks source actually is. The number of Ecoboost turbo oil feed line banjo crush washers that have been replaced for a front timing cover oil leak you wouldn't believe but it's the covers leak "collection point" and an easy fix that gets the customer off the dealers back so thats what they replace. Multiple times over on the same car in some cases.

Phil
Phil, when I looked at the procedure, it didn't look that complicated. Does it require many years of differential repair experience to "get it right"? I've never done it, myself but then again, I'm not a mechanic.

Nonetheless, I will see if the tech can check the fill level. That should be quick and easy and may prevent his having to replace the seal. :thumbsup:

Thanks.
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Phil, when I looked at the procedure, it didn't look that complicated. Does it require many years of differential repair experience to "get it right"? I've never done it, myself but then again, I'm not a mechanic.

Nonetheless, I will see if the tech can check the fill level. That should be quick and easy and may prevent his having to replace the seal. :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I looked at it as well and it's not overly complex but you need the tools as pointed out. I'm an advocate of not going places mechanically if it's not absolutely necessary as even the simple jobs can turn ugly from time to time. You'll know as soon as the fill plug comes out if it's overfilled. Give it an hour for the oil level to settle before you pull the plug as well. Like you I'm a bit over working under cars these days but I would do what I suggested. I have quick jacks though which makes it doable at home.

Phil

Last edited:
OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I looked at it as well and it's not overly complex but you need the tools as pointed out. I'm an advocate of not going places mechanically if it's not absolutely necessary as even the simple jobs can turn ugly from time to time. You'll know as soon as the fill plug comes out if it's overfilled. Give it an hour for the oil level to settle before you pull the plug as well. Like you I'm a bit over working under cars these days but I would do what I suggested. I have quick jacks though which makes it doable at home.

Phil
Okay, so the tech or I must get the diff hot by driving the car in order for the fill plug removal test to reveal whether fluid is exiting the bleed hole when the plug is removed. I think I will visit the dealership if I don't get a call-back by the service advisor on Monday.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay, so the tech or I must get the diff hot by driving the car in order for the fill plug removal test to reveal whether fluid is exiting the bleed hole when the plug is removed. I think I will visit the dealership if I don't get a call-back by the service advisor on Monday.
Diff hot is not essential, the manual just has to cover every safety possibility. I would just put the car on the hoist/jacks and give it an hour or so for the heavy weight gear oil to drain off the gears and housing internal walls in the diff and settle then pull the fill/level plug and see if a significant qty of oil comes out. If you get only a small amount, sub 20ml or so then overfilling is unlikely the issue. If you get 100ml plus then it may well be. Some differentials are not at all tolerant to even a little overfilling. It's just a relatively easy first step in troubleshooting considering others have apparently had leaks from overfilling at the factory.

Phil

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
God bless ya man for your honesty and trust. I’ve done the same thing. Everyone told me don‘t do it. I didn’t listen and luckily I only lost a lot of opportunity cost at the dealerships. Many on here try to tell new guys the same thing, it’s a BMW, they are Toyota & don’t have the tools or experience (or even worse will lie and say they do).

I’m having so much more fun with my car now that I’m not playing monkey business at the dealerships. I‘m a slow learner as most of these peeps know. I love to learn the hard way 😣 It would be fantastic if you don’t have any of these crazy issues listed on multiple other posts.

Don’t forget to keep reminding them of your appointment date, that you have a Supra, it’s a BMW and they need a special tech, to bring in whatever they need to get the car up on a lift (or your own race ramps), check the books again to see if the “Supra” tech will really be there, and bring any fluid & tools you think they might need. You might actually pull this off!

Last edited:
OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Diff hot is not essential, the manual just has to cover every safety possibility. I would just put the car on the hoist/jacks and give it an hour or so for the heavy weight gear oil to drain off the gears and housing internal walls in the diff and settle then pull the fill/level plug and see if a significant qty of oil comes out. If you get only a small amount, sub 20ml or so then overfilling is unlikely the issue. If you get 100ml plus then it may well be. Some differentials are not at all tolerant to even a little overfilling. It's just a relatively easy first step in troubleshooting considering others have apparently had leaks from overfilling at the factory.

Phil
Phil, did you happen to see this photo I took before I brought my car in for inspection? Any thoughts about it?

20231211_122752.jpg

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
God bless ya man for your honesty and trust. I’ve done the same thing. Everyone told me don‘t do it. I didn’t listen and luckily I only lost a lot of opportunity cost at the dealerships. Many on here try to tell new guys the same thing, it’s a BMW, they are Toyota & don’t have the tools or experience (or even worse will lie and say they do).

I’m having so much more fun with my car now that I’m not playing monkey business at the dealerships. I‘m a slow learner as most of these peeps know. I love to learn the hard way 😣 It would be fantastic if you don’t have any of these crazy issues listed on multiple other posts.

Don’t forget to keep reminding them of your appointment date, that you have a Supra, it’s a BMW and they need a special tech, to bring in whatever they need to get the car up on a lift (or your own race ramps), check the books again to see if the “Supra” tech will really be there, and bring any fluid & tools you think they might need. You might actually pull this off! May the force be with you Dave :ninja: ✌🏼

Mark, yes, the dealership has one certified/trained Supra tech and one Supra service advisor. If you've ever seen the car care nut videos on youtube, there are a couple that this Toyota master tech has that are specifically about the MK5 Supra for which he is certified. I would trust that guy to do the work, anyway. I attached one of his videos about Toyota vehicle production factories in a previous post.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Mark, yes, the dealership has one certified/trained Supra tech and one Supra service advisor. If you've ever seen the car care nut videos on youtube, there are a couple that this Toyota master tech has that are specifically about the MK5 Supra for which he is certified. I would trust that guy to do the work, anyway. I attached one of his videos about Toyota vehicle production factories in a previous post.
My dealership promised the same. I hope yours will deliver. It would be nice to hear a good dealership service story.

Bottom line: it’s a fantastic car! The dealerships have been its weakest link 🔗

I can’t remember. Are you going to use that free track day w/ NASA? It’s DynoMight 🧨

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My dealership promised the same. I hope yours will deliver. It would be nice to hear a good dealership service story.

Bottom line: it’s a fantastic car! The dealerships have been its weakest link 🔗

I can’t remember. Are you going to use that free track day w/ NASA? It’s DynoMight 🧨
I have lots of advice for this dealership. If only someone will listen and take action. Now if I had Musk's money, I'd buy the dealership and "shake it up".

A track day will be fun after break-in miles reach 1200. The odometer is currently near 800.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Phil, did you happen to see this photo I took before I brought my car in for inspection? Any thoughts about it?

20231211_122752.jpg
Other than the fact it has an obvious but not catastrophic leak no, sorry.

Phil

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Other than the fact it has an obvious but not catastrophic leak no, sorry.

Phil
Okay, I may have to drive to the dealership in order to talk to one of the service advisors about the simple test you mentioned. I will also try to get a copy of the photo(s) the Supra tech took before documenting his diagnosis.
Sponsored