2024 Supra possible diff leak

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
...and potentially spend thousands for a repair that would've been done, free of charge. I was willing to wait awhile to save money, but after a month, my patience has diminished quite a bit. My days of not worrying about money while working full-time are long gone.
Never would think that repair expenses would be a concern while a new $70k car is under warranty.
That does really suck man! It is a hard thing to wrap your head around for sure. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s something easy for the right mechanic. Get you back on track so to speak ;)

I got rear sway bars put on at my local shop. He had the right equipment, so took him no time at all = way cheaper than I expected. I went and talked to various mechanics about my issues at the time. Picked the right shop for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
That does really suck man! It is a hard thing to wrap your head around for sure. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s something easy for the right mechanic. Get you back on track so to speak ;)

I got rear sway bars put on at my local shop. He had the right equipment, so took him no time at all = way cheaper than I expected. I went and talked to various mechanics about my issues at the time. Picked the right shop for me.
Good plan! I noticed over the years that using one indy shop for everything (that I choose not to do, myself) is often not wise. I used a Miata - specific shop to install all suspension upgrades for my MX5. The owner took my car to my favorite alignment shop, which happened to be across the street. And as we all know, some dealership techs are more experienced than other dealer techs.

I did pick up my Supra from the dealership, yesterday and have an appointment (Tuesday if it is not raining) at one of the three BMW indy shops I had called. Eventually, I'll get the the pucks needed to get my car up in the air to perform oil changes, etc., but for now, a person who has plenty of experience with diffs will be verifying where the leak originated.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
OP: ā€œMy rear diff seems to be leaking, Iā€™m taking it to the dealerā€

Literally everyone else: ā€œhere are some things to check first to try and avoid the dealer because they are generally uselessā€

OP: ā€œI chose to ignore all your advice and let the experts at the dealer figure it out, that is what they do with all their years of experience!ā€

Car is at the dealer for over a monthā€¦..

OP: ā€œI took my car back because the dealer wasnā€™t doing anythingā€

Le sigh.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP: ā€œMy rear diff seems to be leaking, Iā€™m taking it to the dealerā€

Literally everyone else: ā€œhere are some things to check first to try and avoid the dealer because they are generally uselessā€

OP: ā€œI chose to ignore all your advice and let the experts at the dealer figure it out, that is what they do with all their years of experience!ā€

Car is at the dealer for over a monthā€¦..

OP: ā€œI took my car back because the dealer wasnā€™t doing anythingā€

Le sigh.
My priority was getting the leak documented. That was completed. Yes, it took them way too long to get the part and tools which they still haven't received.
Anyway, I found that I could back my car onto Rhino ramps (then place wheel chocks in front of the front tires) to get a better look.

Side note: The ambient temperature when the diff started leaking was near 75. Today, it was 15 degrees less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Upon examining the diff, I found a light film of diff fluid in some areas, so I cleaned it up and went for a 40-minute ride.
Fast forward to 1-25-2024: once again backed my car on ramps and looked at and around the diff. See pics.

1-25-2024 Diff drop.jpg

Small drop of oil within circle

1-25-2024 Light Film Diff Fluid.jpg

Possible residual oil from first episode of oil leakage

Last edited:
OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
By the way, is this left exhaust pipe supposed to look like this?

Left Side Exhaust pipe.jpg

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
seems strange, would bring to dealer for a lookover probably
I'd like to see the pipe-bending machine they are using. Hopefully, someone has a pic of one that looks normal. I know that I have never backed onto a concrete wall. ;)

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In before you ask if the ticking at idle is normal.
Too many concerts when I was young have rendered my ears desensitized. That's probably why I don't notice any ticking.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Why/ How does this happen? No wonder why many owners replace the OEM exhaust.
It happens when the factory creates them and then installs them in Graz, Austria.

It's for clearance. Not the first car to have this and won't be the last.

You're an engineer, I'm sure you can compute how many of your rubber gaskets could still flow through those parts. RPM, rubber per minute. Corvette.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It happens when the factory creates them and then installs them in Graz, Austria.

It's for clearance. Not the first car to have this and won't be the last.

You're an engineer, I'm sure you can compute how many of your rubber gaskets could still flow through those parts. RPM, rubber per minute. Corvette.
Does it look like there's a clearance problem in this photo where the curvature is distorted?

Left Side Exhaust pipe.jpg
Sponsored