5w40 motor oil

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
If I was rarely getting into boost and doing lots of short trips a spec meeting 0w-20 is probably fine. I run 5w-30 penzoil euro if its cold and wet, meaning very little boost. I run 5w-40 if its warm and dry. It hurts my head to think of 20-30 pounds of boost, summer weather, sustained boost, and 0w-20 oil.

HTHS is important, especially if running high boost/power.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t-and-base-oil-viscosity.326624/#post-5424699
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
If I was rarely getting into boost and doing lots of short trips a spec meeting 0w-20 is probably fine. I run 5w-30 penzoil euro if its cold and wet, meaning very little boost. I run 5w-40 if its warm and dry. It hurts my head to think of 20-30 pounds of boost, summer weather, sustained boost, and 0w-20 oil.

HTHS is important, especially if running high boost/power.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t-and-base-oil-viscosity.326624/#post-5424699
That’s definitely a good page for the chemical engineers out there. I like the Liqui Moly brand for this BMW and higher viscosity for my use & local (as I’ve said before). You definitely can get into a lot more nitty gritty for sure!! Some even send theirs out to look at the breakdown and compare. If @3TMagnetMan is using 5-40, chalk up another reason for me to hop on that bandwagon. Lotta good guys on this forum using it for our cars :)

I may not even need the Liqui Moly. But it’s not that expensive (relatively speaking) and they have some good videos out there of what they actually do. They also support racing and lots of other track peeps use it. So my pick is far less educated than yours. Cool link though. Who would have thought oil guys have their own forum 😮 👍🏼

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
I am not a chemical engineer although I am an engineer. Therefore I am no expert, I just read some stuff on an oil website many years ago and have applied it to my high performance engines over the years.

Approvals matter in the BMW B58 world, make sure you choose a LL01 or LL04 approved or spec meeting oil. I don't use the recommended LL17FE because HTHS is to low for my application (20+ psi).

HTHS (high-temperature, high-shear viscosity) matters, use the highest HTHS oil you can reasonably find that meets LL01 LL04.

Kinematic viscosity at 100C is not that important unless you just like to geek out and see that a light 5w-40 is lower viscosity at 100c than a heavy 5w-30.

Don't trust me, trust someone like @Eddyvw on the oil forums, as he used to work developing VW oil specifications for a living.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bmw-b58-engine-oil-recommendation.337089/

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am not a chemical engineer although I am an engineer. Therefore I am no expert, I just read some stuff on an oil website many years ago and have applied it to my high performance engines over the years.

Approvals matter in the BMW B58 world, make sure you choose a LL01 or LL04 approved or spec meeting oil. I don't use the recommended LL17FE because HTHS is to low for my application (20+ psi).

HTHS (high-temperature, high-shear viscosity) matters, use the highest HTHS oil you can reasonably find that meets LL01 LL04.

Kinematic viscosity at 100C is not that important unless you just like to geek out and see that a light 5w-40 is lower viscosity at 100c than a heavy 5w-30.

Don't trust me, trust someone like @Eddyvw on the oil forums, as he used to work developing VW oil specifications for a living.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bmw-b58-engine-oil-recommendation.337089/
Dude… I like him too after reading that! I’ve got a 5w-30 Liqui Moly from FCP Euro. I‘ll save the bottle next time and look for all those specs. And just stick with what I got & share the link on here to see what you think.

I do know guys that are driving in the “summer” down here & experience more issues in general. Which is understandable. I think I‘m the limiting factor 🥵 and fine with that.

Great share, mega detail on that thread. Thx brotha!

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Let's try to understand what this dude @Eddyvw is throwing down, because it's profound.

"Take into consideration that when you say "grade" that is KV at 100c. Your BMW in regular driving is running around 109-113c. That means that at regular driving, your oil is bit thinner than you think. That is why HTHS is important and not grade per se. There are different oils, some meeting minimum requirements, some exceeding it. Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils. Motul Gen2, Castrol 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W30, Pennzoil 5W40, etc. are all superb choices. Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 would be prime example of superb oil, as it has KV100 of 11.6 and HTHS of 3.6 and it is LL04. Valvoline European Vehicle is at 13.1 KV100 and HTHS 3.7, which is really good.
Again I would go with approved oils for LL01 and LL04, regardless of weight.
If you decide to track vehicle, than we are getting into different conversation."

He starts by saying KV (kinematic viscosity) at 100C (its a rating your oil has) is pretty thin and your car runs at 100c or higher oil temp. Your oil does not act like it does at room temp at 100C, it is much thinner. Implied is the fact that no modern motor oil has the correct viscosity at 20c and 100c. Also implied, do not perform max boost top speed runs with cold oil. Then he gets into HTHS (high temp high shear viscosity), why is it more important than viscosity? Well the B58 has a turbo which adds temp and forces (shear). Some parts of the engine are way hotter than 100c, and some parts experience extreme forces and some both (turbo). He then says some oils meet specs and others exceed specs, well dang it we want to exceed specs and have the best motor oil but all this oil stuff is so complicated... But wait, there is a relationship between higher quality oils and some oil values. "Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils." That's it that is the secret right there, no need to have a degree in chemistry. Just look for low KV100 and high HTHS values. In general go with LL01 LL04 rated oils, regardless of weight. Go to this page for a list of oil data to get KV100 and HTHS.

Now you can see why I like penzoil euro 5w-40... At least I'm not just randomly guessing or doing the popular thing regarding oil selection...

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Let's try to understand what this dude @Eddyvw is throwing down, because it's profound.

"Take into consideration that when you say "grade" that is KV at 100c. Your BMW in regular driving is running around 109-113c. That means that at regular driving, your oil is bit thinner than you think. That is why HTHS is important and not grade per se. There are different oils, some meeting minimum requirements, some exceeding it. Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils. Motul Gen2, Castrol 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W30, Pennzoil 5W40, etc. are all superb choices. Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 would be prime example of superb oil, as it has KV100 of 11.6 and HTHS of 3.6 and it is LL04. Valvoline European Vehicle is at 13.1 KV100 and HTHS 3.7, which is really good.
Again I would go with approved oils for LL01 and LL04, regardless of weight.
If you decide to track vehicle, than we are getting into different conversation."

He starts by saying KV (kinematic viscosity) at 100C (its a rating your oil has) is pretty thin and your car runs at 100c or higher oil temp. Your oil does not act like it does at room temp at 100C, it is much thinner. Implied is the fact that no modern motor oil has the correct viscosity at 20c and 100c. Also implied, do not perform max boost top speed runs with cold oil. Then he gets into HTHS (high temp high shear viscosity), why is it more important than viscosity? Well the B58 has a turbo which adds temp and forces (shear). Some parts of the engine are way hotter than 100c, and some parts experience extreme forces and some both (turbo). He then says some oils meet specs and others exceed specs, well dang it we want to exceed specs and have the best motor oil but all this oil stuff is so complicated... But wait, there is a relationship between higher quality oils and some oil values. "Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils." That's it that is the secret right there, no need to have a degree in chemistry. Just look for low KV100 and high HTHS values. In general go with LL01 LL04 rated oils, regardless of weight. Go to this page for a list of oil data to get KV100 and HTHS.

Now you can see why I like penzoil euro 5w-40... At least I'm not just randomly guessing or doing the popular thing regarding oil selection...
Great share! Again amigo… Those lists are huge and mega resourceful.

I went and bought from Turner MS using Eddyvw’s own advice (thx 2 you) and got “8100 X-Cess Gen2 Engine Oil (5w-40) on their website. Plugged in the Supra and it came out as a match. There is also a Liqui Molly that fits the bill as well. I don’t need it right now but know to always keep extra of any consumable.

Anyone checking this out for the 1st time, on Turner Motorsports website, you select the our car (at the bottom), go to maintenance, then oil service. You’ll find the KV100 and HTHS oils. Turner is just one company ofc. Buy from your favorite.

To me any race source actually using products beyond the engineering recommendations & testing speaks volumes. In my field, a drug company and clinical trials (four phases) only take in account specific variables. Once out in the real world, we see how much every individual and infinite situation can change the outcome. In general, a drug with multiple off label uses has seen more conditions than biochemist or pharmacist can predict. We see this on the track all the time if you’ve ever hung around a race team. Any group as a whole is greater than any individual can possibly predict. I love how Eddyvw leaves that caveat in there if you race.

Last edited:

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Here is more fuel for the 40 weight fire.

"For daily use 0/5W30 oils are excellent choice. I use XW40 just because I track car."

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...has-bmw-ll01-again.363833/page-5#post-6475520

Here we have mention that high HTHS may slow spool. To me it's a negative (spool speed) and positive (high HTHS = protection).
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...has-bmw-ll01-again.363833/page-5#post-6475367

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...has-bmw-ll01-again.363833/page-6#post-6479320

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here is more fuel for the 40 weight fire.

"For daily use 0/5W30 oils are excellent choice. I use XW40 just because I track car."

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...has-bmw-ll01-again.363833/page-5#post-6475520

Here we have mention that high HTHS may slow spool. To me it's a negative (spool speed) and positive (high HTHS = protection).
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...has-bmw-ll01-again.363833/page-5#post-6475367

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...has-bmw-ll01-again.363833/page-6#post-6479320
Love it! I’ve never had oil issues or been worried about using a different oil in a Florida track car. We all do it. But you went above and beyond any previous oil thread on here explaining it, imo. Great job 👏🏼 Really appreciate your advice and input. We have a lot of really good engineers in this Supra community. Nice to be able to connect the dots for more simple car guys like me.

Side note: I’ve only got 2k (in town) miles on my delicious 😋 Liqui Moly 5-30 oil and I’m going to track with it until it’s time for a change. I’m doing it before the computer tells me. I’ll put on another ~3k track miles. But now I have eddyvw’s top suggested oil and… Turner MS also recommends it. Win win in my book when a chemical engineer and race company both agree. I wasn’t expecting that 😂

Almost forgot to ask, do you track KBGT?

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Mark, I'm glad you and hopefully others now have a better idea what is important when it comes to B58 engine oil selection.

I should perform used oil analysis, but I have not done so on the B58. I have 20K on it and it has had 7 oil changes. I would rather use inexpensive penzoil platinum euro 5w30/40 and change it often. The 5w-30 is 3.5 HTHS and 5w-40 is 3.8 HTHS and they are LL01 or LL04. Also I run water/meth (which is bad on oil) and have been running 20+psi since 3K miles.

I have not tracked this car but I used to track other vehicles. I live close to a really nice 2.5 mile track, Ridge Motorsport Park. I will have to give it a try in the supra next season. I enjoy seeing you and others track your cars!

2021Supra

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2021 Lexus RC300, 2007 Tundra, 1975 Ch
I also use 5W-40, because it gets hot here in Alabama. I have stuck with Castrol GTX Full Synthetic European blend from day one. I have been using Castrol in every vehicle that I have owned since I was 16. ZERO issues. It has been very good to me and never had an issue fail because of the this oil, obviously different weights, etc.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I have been using Schaeffer 5-30. But I don't run the car hard, though it is a very fun car to drive.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It’s funny because of this thread (the other thread actually shared by John), I went and got the best oil in the world 🌎 (subjectively speaking) to keep on hand. My baby went in for her checkup and I’ll be damned… it’s been 5k miles since my last oil change 😱. So I said screw it, let’s do it, why not. Long story short, the 5-30 Liqui Moly oil looked brand spanking new coming out. Would I have been fine driving on it my 1st track day of the season next month? Probably. But bottom line, it’s a cheap peace of mind.

So back to Turner MS and order another 7 quarts. Before the next latest and greatest comes out or recommendations change from the chemical engineers 😂

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Do you ever hear about all the problems with changing your oil early? Nope, because the only short term consequence involves your wallet. Are there benefits, yes restoration of your oil properties. Almost no property of oils, that we are concerned with, improves with use in a ICE. Used oil analysis is the inexpensive way to quantify some of these variables and accurately predict OCI.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you ever hear about all the problems with changing your oil early? Nope, because the only short term consequence involves your wallet. Are there benefits, yes restoration of your oil properties. Almost no property of oils, that we are concerned with, improves with use in a ICE. Used oil analysis is the inexpensive way to quantify some of these variables and accurately predict OCI.

You are single handedly turning this into the best oil thread we’ve got brotha! And we’ve got a lot of oil threads 😂 Thank again John for all your insight. I’ll try and not sweat that <$100 bucks. It’s funny how people (myself included) become so fixated on their oil. I loved that chemical engineering thread! Those guys kept saying why are we still talking about this, lol. They made it simple. And even simpler, I’ve found all the racing teams you can buy BMW oil from are selling the same exact stuff they (and you) are talking about.

Makes sense why they are running what they are running. And it makes sense why you can run the basic 0-20 if you’re trying to make one oil fit all. Every condition yielding the best mpg. Myself, I’m going for full throttle in hot temps only. Different strokes for different folks. I get it.

When will you be testing the limits of your oil (& Supra)? She’s so much fun on track dude!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)