decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Also if it helps anyone:

https://help.fcpeuro.com/hc/en-us/a...30-for-my-car-instead-of-0W-20-like-BMW-does-

And got this one originally:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-oil-change-kit-5w-30-liqui-moly-11428583898-lm

It definitely meets the LL-01 standards and would be a stellar choice.
I've been using the 5W-30 special tech in my car. I'm going to 5W-40 of some kind next spring before track season. For the winter I'll still run the 5W-30 for any track events or fair weather drives, although I won't be driving my Supra regularly this winter.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
HTHS (high-temperature, high-shear viscosity) matters, use the highest HTHS oil you can reasonably find that meets LL01 LL04

Don't trust me, trust someone like @Eddyvw on the oil forums, as he used to work developing VW oil specifications for a living.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bmw-b58-engine-oil-recommendation.337089/
I've been using the 5W-30 special tech in my car. I'm going to 5W-40 of some kind next spring before track season. For the winter I'll still run the 5W-30 for any track events or fair weather drives, although I won't be driving my Supra regularly this winter.
Thanks brother! @KBGT really hit it with his post above ☝ I wish someone would have said it that simply long ago. But then again, as you know, I’m pretty dense when it comes to this stuff. They may have in a different way.

It funny cuz I was so excited I rushed to the racing websites and found out indeed they (and my current oil) met the criteria for my primary track/play toy. I feel pretty confident with @eddyvw explanation. So if I ever make the plunge to put on a cool suit again and drive down here in the summer, I know I‘m covered with these oils. When over 120 degree track temps, at least it wont be my oil (or brake fluid) that breaks down, I can look elsewhere 😂

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 18 Audi Q7, 15 VW GTI
So how do we feel about good ol' Mobil 1 FS 5w-40 Euro? KV100 of 13.60 and HTHS of 3.70. That seems pretty decent, doesn't it? I track the car, pretty much all I do with it.

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
So how do we feel about good ol' Mobil 1 FS 5w-40 Euro? KV100 of 13.60 and HTHS of 3.70. That seems pretty decent, doesn't it? I track the car, pretty much all I do with it.
The values are good but that oil does not have LL01 or LL04 BMW oil rating or specification listed. The @edyvw guy on the oil forum once said, "the B58 has the timing chain on the back of the engine and BMW includes as part of their specification a timing chain wear test". That little fact was enough for me to find an oil with good/great KV100, HTHS, and BMW specification meeting LL01 or LL04.

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Th So if I ever make the plunge to put on a cool suit again and drive down here in the summer, I know I‘m covered with these oils. When over 120 degree track temps, at least it wont be my oil (or brake fluid) that breaks down, I can look elsewhere 😂
Another thing I have seen @edyvw and others say is that climate does not matter when selecting grade oil. I have mixed feelings about this because devil is in the details. What I think they mean is that unless your cold start temp is super low, where the oil will not flow, the oil is excessively viscous to perform properly. Most vehicles have oil to coolant heat exchanger or oil temp is closely related to coolant temp. So daily driving at 0C your oil temp gets to lets say 110C, also daily driving at 30C your oil gets to 110C. My mixed feelings come into play on the track, and data logging is the key. If you track your car at a theoretical 0C and engine oil is 120C, so what is it at 30C? if it still is 120C then I agree ambient temp and oil weight is irrelevant. I would wager that those hot summer days on the track push the cooling system to the max and oil temps rise compare to winter temps.

Anyway just my oil thought of the day.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
So, this is all awesome info and has been helpful. I'm about ready to do my first oil change on my '23 and was planning on Liquid Moly 5w30 special tech, but this thread has me thinking differently.

I'm in central FL, so cold weather doesn't exist 😂 But I drive the car hard and plan on occasional track events.

What would be the recommendation you'll have for weight? And is there a better option that's more easily attainable at most automotive stores vs having to order LM?

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
So, this is all awesome info and has been helpful. I'm about ready to do my first oil change on my '23 and was planning on Liquid Moly 5w30 special tech, but this thread has me thinking differently.

I'm in central FL, so cold weather doesn't exist 😂 But I drive the car hard and plan on occasional track events.

What would be the recommendation you'll have for weight? And is there a better option that's more easily attainable at most automotive stores vs having to order LM?
I have refer you to the oil forums, where they have been talking about the best oil for a tuned b58 for several years. Just FYI I run penzoil euro 5w-30 and 5w-40 because I can get them locally cheap. They meet LL01 the other LL04 and have good KV100 and HTHS values.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bmw-b58-engine-oil-recommendation.337089/

Warranty still valid?
Motul 5W40 X-Cess Gen2.

Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40 has HTHS 3.8. That is ver good for KV100 of 13.5. You could also go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 that is on sale in Advanced Auto Parts all the time. Reason why I would stick to LL01 is that it has specific test for timing chain wear. Your timing chain is in the back, not front like previous BMW engines, and you really, really don’t want to do TC work on an engine like that.

Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils. Motul Gen2, Castrol 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W30, Pennzoil 5W40, etc. are all superb choices. Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 would be prime example of superb oil, as it has KV100 of 11.6 and HTHS of 3.6 and it is LL04. Valvoline European Vehicle is at 13.1 KV100 and HTHS 3.7, which is really good.
Again I would go with approved oils for LL01 and LL04, regardless of weight.
If you decide to track vehicle, than we are getting into different conversation.

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 18 Audi Q7, 15 VW GTI
The values are good but that oil does not have LL01 or LL04 BMW oil rating or specification listed. The @edyvw guy on the oil forum once said, "the B58 has the timing chain on the back of the engine and BMW includes as part of their specification a timing chain wear test". That little fact was enough for me to find an oil with good/great KV100, HTHS, and BMW specification meeting LL01 or LL04.
Hmm. That's a shame because it is incredibly inexpensive locally. I'll take that into consideration and see. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Looks like Castrol EDGE euro 5w-40 is also incredibly inexpensive and meets LL01 standards. Also KV100 14.10 and HTHS 3.70, so slightly better than the Mobil 1 FS. Likely my new go-to. We all can't thank you enough for the info... you're doing the Lord's work here.

Last edited:

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm. That's a shame because it is incredibly inexpensive locally. I'll take that into consideration and see. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Looks like Castrol EDGE euro 5w-40 is also incredibly inexpensive and meets LL01 standards. Also KV100 14.10 and HTHS 3.70, so slightly better than the Mobil 1 FS. Likely my new go-to. We all can't thank you enough for the info... you're doing the Lord's work here.
I was also checking out the Castrol option as well since thats readily available around me too. Good to have a couple options.

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, my other thoughts on this...We obviously know Toyota states we must use 0w20 in the owners manual, and it's clearly for CAFE reasons. But, using a different oil weight than the recommendation *could* cause warranty issues. Have we ever actually seen an example where someone was denied a warranty claim due to this?

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
What you just did there is exactly what I do, now that I know what to look for. I order the penzoil euro 5w-40 from NAPA and pick it up next day. If I ever run out and need some 5w-40 that day, walmart has Edge euro 5w-40 on the shelf. I have not used it but would without hesitation because LL01.

@EvilMKV I can't offer any advice regarding warranty as I tuned my car at 3K. Some would say LL01 should make BMW/Toyota happy and preserve warranty. Because they chose fuel economy over engine wear, I did not care.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
How often are you guys changing oil that it's that important that oil is available local on a whim?

I order my Motul 8100 X-Cess from Amazon and get it in a day or two.

I posted this before but I'll post it again:

me said:
New oil report!

- Total of FIVE track days on this oil
- Track day peak oil temps:
  • Day 1: 248F
  • Day 2: 250F
  • Day 3: 240F
  • Day 4: 245F
  • Day 5: 253F
- 31 track days total on the car as of this report

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 6.24.12 PM.png

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
So, my other thoughts on this...We obviously know Toyota states we must use 0w20 in the owners manual, and it's clearly for CAFE reasons. But, using a different oil weight than the recommendation *could* cause warranty issues. Have we ever actually seen an example where someone was denied a warranty claim due to this?
FWIW, this is from the B58 Technical Reference Manual from BMW. It makes no mention of oil weight- just LL-01 or LL-04 approval.

1695909930780.jpeg

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok, thanks for all the info, looks like I'll make the switch to 5w40 vs 5w30. I ran 5w40 in my Mazdaspeed3 since the first oil change and never saw an issue, so I think the B58 is worthy of the same in my climate. And it's nice to have a list of good options.
Sponsored