A Legend Returns: New Acura Integra Coming for a New Generation

ddoubled

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Nocturnal
I loved my Integra’s , especially my Type R, but there’s no way it would be worth trading the Supra for.
Sponsored

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
https://acuranews.com/en-US/release...new-acura-integra-coming-for-a-new-generation

August 12, 2021 — MONTEREY, Calif.

Acura today announced the return of the Integra during its annual appearance at Monterey Car Week. The legendary nameplate, one of two models in the original product lineup when Acura launched on March 27, 1986, will rejoin the performance brand’s product portfolio as a new compact premium entrant next year.

“The Integra is back,” said Jon Ikeda Vice President and Acura Brand Officer. “I’m thrilled to say Integra is returning to the Acura lineup with the same fun-to-drive spirit and DNA of the original, fulfilling our commitment to Precision Crafted Performance in every way – design, performance and the overall driving experience.”

More details about the new Acura Integra will be available closer to its 2022 introduction.

acura-integra-teaser-sketch-1628829752-jpg.jpg
I had a DC2 after high school and into college. It was a fun car to drive. With just a small teaser I'm already seeing some ugly styling cues. The flat edge fenders are so ugly. Hyundai Genesis coupe called, they want their headlights, grille edges and flat fenders back. :nono:

1628902905490.png

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
If it had:
- Civic Type R engine (306 hp)
- Weighed: 2800 lbs.
- Manual transmission
- Championship White Color

That'd make me seriously think about trading up.
I still feel like it might be like trading more down than up. Unless you really want a manual. For me I feel the next level up from a Supra would be a Cayman 4.0, C8, GT500, etc. I just don’t see myself getting a 4 +cylinder unless it’s has electric motors too.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
It’s a cool sporty little car but Supra is way better. I just can’t get past the FWD. there’s a reason why ferraris, lambo’s and porsches aren’t FWD

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
@suicidaleggroll @Thill444

Yeah yeah, I guess I'm a bit more nostalgic than some of you guys. I used to race a 97 integra. All my other fun cars have been light-weight cars (Cooper S, Superchared FR-S).

After evaluating a 10th gen Civic Type R and despite being FWD, I've learned to appreciate what a great engine and well engineered chassis it has. I could only imagine it in a lighter coupe version.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Supra!

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
@suicidaleggroll @Thill444

Yeah yeah, I guess I'm a bit more nostalgic than some of you guys. I used to race a 97 integra. All my other fun cars have been light-weight cars (Cooper S, Superchared FR-S).

After evaluating a 10th gen Civic Type R and despite being FWD, I've learned to appreciate what a great engine and well engineered chassis it has. I could only imagine it in a lighter coupe version.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Supra!
I'd kill to have my '91 CRX SI back with an FK8 engine under the hood.... Just imagine the fun.... ?

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
AWD, turbo, manual - take my money!

(we can all dream, right..?)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I never owned a 90's Integra but I did sample a GS-R three door manual edition and I did own a last-generation Prelude Type SH. A great car in its own right if overshadowed by the Integra Type R and Civic Type R (JDM) of the day.

It's impossible today but back then I was fine with both the Integra and Civic R models since they were so lightweight and crucially came standard with helical LSDs. Very lightweight + LSD is what made those 90's versions have a winning formula even with barely 200hp on tap. FWD wasn't an issue in those generations of those specific cars with their standard equipment.

By contrast my Prelude, despite having an excellent four-wheel double wishbone suspension and the trick for the time active differential (ATTS) was still relatively heavy (3,050lbs) for it's power output of 156 ft-lbs and 200hp with 2.2L displacement and only five forward gears. And it being FWD was definitely a big limitation since it really wasn't a small car but more of a sports coupe cruiser.

That engine was amazing at full song but for the car's size it really needed +50hp and +50ft-lbs more from the factory since its block was difficult to tune for forced induction without spending big bucks. Also as cool as that ATTS active front differential was I still wished it had a simpler and less expensive to repair gear-type LSD instead.

However what it really needed was to have been RWD. The only thing it had over the 240SX (correctly RWD) of the day was refinement and a much better factory engine with more horsepower. About 13 years later the GT86/BRZ finally got the right version of the formula the Prelude *almost* had right. Really it's 22 years later if you consider the second generation GR86/BRZ models with the engine improvement.

However by contrast I didn't fault the Integra Type R or the Japan-only Civic Type R for being FWD. They were just so light and small that it wasn't a hindrance.

But today Honda/Acura won't be able to keep their new Integra anywhere near the light curb weight of their 1990's era Type R compact cars so it definitely makes much more sense to make them as RWD three door coupes to compensate for that. And again with a standard mechanical LSD.

I highly doubt the new Intregra will be anything but a FWD car again unfortunately though.

On a side note if a Prelude were also ever to be revived under the Honda mother brand it would similarly be a waste to not make it a RWD 2+2 coupe (also with an LSD) regardless of the powertrain choice.

I'm glad that a new Integra is coming. Hopefully it won't be huge and hopefully it will offer a three door hatch version.

This might also partly explain Toyota having previously trademarked the Celica nameplate again for a future revival of its own.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Just need Mitsubishi to bring back a proper Evo, Mazda it's new rotary, and the whole gang is back.

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300
Just need Mitsubishi to bring back a proper Evo, Mazda it's new rotary, and the whole gang is back.
I prefer if they brought the 3000 gt back, but yeah at least a new evo could bring it back to be noticable. As for Mazda, they definitely need to bring a new rotary. That's the only option that could make me consider changing my supra.
Sponsored