From legend to hot garbage. The new C63s

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
I am not gonna go into reasons why Mercedes decided to go with a 4 cylinder hybrid, but what it used to be, and what it became.

The v8 was half the fun of mercedes, and the other was the car it self. German muscle able to contend with BMW keep the weight down (the older one's at least the newer one's still became heavy) , and nimble on it's wheels. Soooooooo Mercedes killed it. V8 gutted to 4 cylinder hybrid, and it became a pig with a weight of 4,650 lb almost a 1000 lb over it's predecessor it's more closer to full sized s class literally 100lb difference., slugish because of the turbo lag, and it became like any other Mercedes feels like. A fat pig with sluggish reaction. I drove the W205, and it felt amazing. Even though I hate how the S63, S500 drove. It was the first Mercedes I enjoyed. It's not perfect, but it was amazing. And just seeing what it became is kinda sad. And it was one of the cars I was considering before getting my Supra. I saw a couple of reviews on youtube, and Mercedes tries so hard to make you think it's cool. "F1 technology", The fastest 4 cylinder in the world which it is, but thats marketing speaking, pump in exhaust sounds, etc etc. The hybrid motor is supposed to be there to close the gap in reaction, and it's more like jump than a push. Electric motors are supposed to give that instant torque, it doesn't have those benefits of an electric motor due to the weight. Engineers tried to make the car exciting as much as possible and tried to engineer it to be fun rather than make the whole car fun. I'm not against hybrid sport cars Ferrari did an amazing job with a v6 hybrid yes I know it's a super car, but you get the idea. Gell the AMG ONE's power is not something to take lightly, but I am against the new c63 s e 4 matic all wheel drive or whatever the fuck it's called. Gutting a car's cylinders in half was the wrong move. A car specifically know for it's V8, and it's power turned into a 4 cylinder hybrid sad sad story.

I would like for everyone to share their thoughts on the matter. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
I had a similar reaction. Turbo 4 cylinder can certainly be done right (Cayman S) but to me it just doesn't make sense in a car with 50% more weight, especially a car that has historically leaned towards being a muscle car.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Never been a fan of modern Mercedes. Their gimmicky interiors look so bedazzled and basically age out after a year. I have respect for the iterations of the turbo 4cyl they put in the A45, CLA45, and GLA45, but those cars always seemed to fall short. On paper you think they would be one of the most exciting cars but in reality, meh.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had a similar reaction. Turbo 4 cylinder can certainly be done right (Cayman S) but to me it just doesn't make sense in a car with 50% more weight, especially a car that has historically leaned towards being a muscle car.
Exactly it could have been done right. But unfortunately it's far off
Never been a fan of modern Mercedes. Their gimmicky interiors look so bedazzled and basically age out after a year. I have respect for the iterations of the turbo 4cyl they put in the A45, CLA45, and GLA45, but those cars always seemed to fall short. On paper you think they would be one of the most exciting cars but in reality, meh.
Annnnd that is why I have come to hate Mercedes. I leaned more towards BMW's because my dad had a 435i that was a convertible. Amazing car loved every minute of it. But Mercedes used to be cool now it's just gimmicks and engineers trying as much as possible to make a car look cool until you get in and realize it's not what it is on paper

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Exactly it could have been done right. But unfortunately it's far off

Annnnd that is why I have come to hate Mercedes. I leaned more towards BMW's because my dad had a 435i that was a convertible. Amazing car loved every minute of it. But Mercedes used to be cool now it's just gimmicks and engineers trying as much as possible to make a car look cool until you get in and realize it's not what it is on paper
Unfortunately, this is what can happen when a brand becomes more of a lifestyle brand.

That said, I wouldn't say no to a Mercedes GT AMG Regular or Black Series. At least they still do the halo car thing well...

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 11.39.26 AM.png

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
EU restrictions are wild.

UK guys are getting sold 2 port B58's as brand new cars in 2023.

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
That said, I wouldn't say no to a Mercedes GT AMG Regular or Black Series. At least they still do the halo car thing well...
My neighbor has this in orange. God its sexy.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
It's always been a out weight
Cars are just too heavy nowadays
At least the supra is still relatively light

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Yeah, I have one of those Baby AMG 4 bangers in the GLA45 and for that car, or the CLA45 or A45 it makes sense since its their entry level platform. They're not built that heavy and honestly the 355-380 HP is plenty for that platform. I'm pretty sure the varient that's in my first gen GLA45 (355 HP version) is what's going into the new 4 cylinder Emira.

Agree that newer Mercs are disappointing. There's nothing I'd consider in their current line up - well aside from the AMG GT or the SLs I can't afford.

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
Mercedes Service Advisors are loving this car. I suspect they are the ones who designed it.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
EU restrictions are wild.

UK guys are getting sold 2 port B58's as brand new cars in 2023.
Sure EU restrictions are wild, but you can't have a 4 cylinder hybrid, and still sell V8's on the E and S class, granted they are more expensive.
Sponsored