A90 Supra MKV on the dyno

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
One of my coworkers just emailed me and said there is a car at 622whp with nitrous; 559whp without (Mikey Botti is apparently the tuner's name)

X19Hc6o.jpg
That torque is just about a flat line and its above 450 the whole time. I'm interested in hearing more about this one.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Details: Pure Turbo, downpipe, 20psi and race gas. 559whp with no spray, 622 with a 50shot

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
There's also the question of the transmission... Given the info available on what the HP50 will take, we are getting closer to where I think we may start seeing some issues.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to learn the practical limits of the fuel system as well.

There's also the question of the transmission... Given the info available on what the HP50 will take, we are getting closer to where I think we may start seeing some issues.

upload_2019-8-22_21-37-43.png

Yes... But, but. but... I was told.... ..1000 horsepower, or more ...at least..

In other news..

upload_2019-8-22_21-27-32.png

(no further details available at time of publishing)

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Tough statement to make when it can't be applied throughout the whole RPM range though. Torque is definitely not greater than HP over 5252 RPM and in a drag race it looks like each upshift brings RPM back to ~5100, so the meatier part of that TQ band isn't in play but for a fleeting glimpse in 1st gear. My vote is for the higher HP being faster; all else being equal.

..or maybe I'll say the car with more TQ above 5k rpm :p
Hey! Nice to see you here man.

A HP graph doesn't mean much. HP is a measurement of how much work is being done. It's relevant for cars that need to maintain momentum when cruising at a certain speed or for calculating top speed. Datalog your car with an accelerometer and you'll see your torque curve is your acceleration curve, though drag will alter it the higher speed you log at of course. Your torque curve is all that's relevant when all you care about is acceleration (which is everyone but top speed racers). The 5252 rpm thing is just where the hp and torque graphs cross, it's a math thing, not a physical point where something changes. Torque made at a higher rpm will produce a higher HP number, but that's because the wheels at the ground are spinning at a faster speed. It doesn't mean your motor is accelerating harder in that rev range. The "magic advantage" of making power up high that people used to chase so much, is only realized if you can stay in a lower gear for longer, because in the real world (not on a dyno), you put down less torque with each upshift. But that value only comes with the appropriate gearing, and you can run the appropriate gearing to make down low torque work for you just as well. What's more important then a high rpm power band, is a wide one.

I was generalizing with my quote there, but if you look at the two dyno graphs(the 2nd is in the vid), the guy didn't end up with a more powerful motor, his turbo upgrade just pushed up a smaller torque curve much higher in the RPM range, which gives you higher HP numbers. Peak numbers are dumb to compare to, but the first dyno makes higher peak torque and has a wider torque curve. He'll be faster down the quarter, and on most tracks too. Theres a reason the mk5 is posting such insane 0-60 times yet only puts down around 340rwhp.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Adam LZ has said he wouldn't mind being first to blow the motor as far as power handling goes. he just had a 420whp tune on 93 and is now doing meth and larger turbo and said he expects to be at or over 600whp (pure boost, no nitrous) sometime this week or next and is going to keep going after that.

EDIT, new video (552whp so far, pure boost):

Last edited: