OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Sorry, but I'll take the word of mainline. Different gears do give different torque readings unless the dyno is setup to correct them. There is a shop in my area that is known to make insane numbers of torque because he does 2nd gear pulls to inflate the numbers. You could also simply change the tire size on the dyno configuration and see how it can affects torque.

Mainline Dyno.png

https://www.mainlinedyno.com.au/images/downloads/DYNO_TORQUE_FIGURES_-_THE_TRUTH.pdf

Even if we disregard how dynos measure torque, the car's ECU could simply output different torque numbers at different gears. Only way to know for sure is get a car on a dyno and test it in different gears.
I did another dyno test on a Superflow dyno. We did 5th gear and 6th gear, and the differences were negligible. They were within 2 whp and 2lb/ft of each other. I used Performance Factory, up in Concord. They also read the boost at 16psi

20190802_112459.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
297hp at the crank? o_O
AWD dyno with all the rollers going. It's about the same as the Dyno Dynamics showed. When I toss her on a Dynojet, she'll show the high numbers that everyone else is seeing.

The DD they played with correction a bit I discovered. Normal, was about dead on with what toyota claimed.

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I work later in the day on Thurs, so I'm going to see about some dyno time in the AM on a Dynojet

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I did another dyno test on a Superflow dyno. We did 5th gear and 6th gear, and the differences were negligible. They were within 2 whp and 2lb/ft of each other. I used Performance Factory, up in Concord. They also read the boost at 16psi

20190802_112459.jpg
Then we can roll that as a fluke :dunno:

Was the wideband hooked up on your car? 15-14:1 is way too lean for the amount of boost it's pushing even if it was direct injection.

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Then we can roll that as a fluke :dunno:

Was the wideband hooked up on your car? 15-14:1 is way too lean for the amount of boost it's pushing even if it was direct injection.
Yeah, it was.

Edit: this is why I'm tossing it on different dynos. It's interesting to me to see how they all rate the same car (despite other variables, like temp and humidity)

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, but I'll take the word of mainline. Different gears do give different torque readings unless the dyno is setup to correct them. There is a shop in my area that is known to make insane numbers of torque because he does 2nd gear pulls to inflate the numbers. You could also simply change the tire size on the dyno configuration and see how it can affects torque.

You're conflating a few different concepts here that I am not going to attempt to untangle for you in this thread. You have words off of a screen, I have real world experience/data with multiple cars on multiple dyno types; none of which are directly influenced by gear ratio in the ways you've attempted to describe. Conversely, the higher the numerical ratio the lower the dyno reads (because physics - inertial losses) although true engine output is not affected. There are some dyno programs that allow you to compensate for these losses, hence why they can be exploited to inflate the numbers.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Yeah, it was.

Edit: this is why I'm tossing it on different dynos. It's interesting to me to see how they all rate the same car (despite other variables, like temp and humidity)
Even though the drop in AFR looks dramatic in your graph it's not that big of a change. However it does correspond to when the ECU reaches peak boost or some kind of power limiter and it clearly shows the car has more in it than it's allowing.

I hope it's a calibration issue on that dynos wideband. Have you checked what's the AFR at idle? If your readings are correct then maybe someone who has tuned B58s could chime in on how lean these engines run.

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Even though the drop in AFR looks dramatic in your graph it's not that big of a change. However it does correspond to when the ECU reaches peak boost or some kind of power limiter and it clearly shows the car has more in it than it's allowing.

I hope it's a calibration issue on that dynos wideband. Have you checked what's the AFR at idle? If your readings are correct then maybe someone who has tuned B58s could chime in on how lean these engines run.
We didn't. When I get on the Dynojet, I'll ask if they can run a wideband, and see what it says.

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Dynojet. AF on the bottom

IMG_20190805_141054_957.jpg

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Can't see the AFR axis. However I think you're the second +400tq stock MKV.
Oh damn. Lemme see here...

Here's the shop's facebook post.

FB_IMG_1565029235413.jpg

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
That explains the high MPG rating lol. I guess that's a good thing meaning it has a high tolerance to knock/detonation. Running it rich at 11-12 AFR should allow for a lot more boost and timing.

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
That explains the high MPG rating lol. I guess that's a good thing meaning it has a high tolerance to knock/detonation. Running it rich at 11-12 AFR should allow for a lot more boost and timing.
This car is going to be stupid fast once we get some good tunes into it.
Sponsored