About to go Bald

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
Hi guys and gals,

I've been lurking around the forum every since the announcement of the MT Supra, and before you read more, it's about AT vs MT which one should I buy... And yes I have searched the forum about AT vs MT if not I've already seen it since I'm on here like 7x a day, I know what gearbox does what tasks better but it's the emotional part that I can't find an answer for

The MT is what got me hooked to the Supra and learning all about it and recognizing it as a great track day + daily car and I thought 100% I would be buying a manual. I'm finally getting ready to get one within the next 6 months, but leaning towards the automatic 2023 now after I test drove one for 15min. I've also briefly drove the 2023 MT but never got it above 40mph, could defs tell the shifter is nice tho. Also rented a modified 2022 on Turo and did a 30min test drive on a 2021. I just sold one of my cars to make space for the supra, so I'm quite serious about it. Overall, pretty much 2023 is a must imo, cuz I like the blue and the sunflower rims.

Where I am located, there's a few opportunities every few months to buy a MT supra at around MSRP, whether it is brand new or 300km "used", BC has complicated tax rates that are different between used and new but basically either or I can land one for about $85k CAD. If I really wanted one, I can get one within 4 months with the connections I have. Automatics on the other hand pretty much couldn't be sold, since all the demand was in the MT cars and 7%+ interest rate doesn't help, multiple large dealers here have 3-5 brand new ones on their lot, and this is where the "5000km used" 2023's really get attractive, I can easily land one for ~$70k CAD based on how desperate the sales manager was to get the CPO strat AT out of their lot last week. The best (and worst) part is, my wife drove it and liked it a lot, that made it quite a bit more attractive to me to buy an AT. Wait till early next year when 24 models start delivering, I wouldn't be surprised if I can land an AT for $65k CAD.

I have always been a VAG guy so I love the euro aspect of the supra. Currently weekend drive a 3.2 TT swapped MK4 GLI with a nice 6MT (340k km). Have a heavily modded Mustang Cobra ex-track day build with a SVT crate engine, lots of R parts and a nice T56 that I never drive, stored a bit far away (and parts are too hard to find).. hell it has 40k km on it. I share a daily with the wife 2023 Model 3.

Ever since I learned about the supra, I wanted to make it a track day weapon, with a MT one ofc. But that was when my commute is literally 9mins, and only need to go in twice a week. May soon be taking a job that I need to commute 110km every day... Wife is not experienced with MT but can drive if absolutely has to, I thought the supra with the rev match and stuff will not be hard to learn, but nothing as easy as an auto, and she's 5"3 so the BMW clutch travel might be a stretch. Further, I'm planning alternate between the Tesla and Supra for commuting to save on $2/liter (5.6USD/gallon). The Supra will be very well used for commuting and track days for sure.

I've basically went from 100% MT to 75% AT a week after I test drove the 2023 AT... Seems to be the logical choice with track, price, fuel consumption and occasional wife driving... But everyone knows my heart is with the MT, and if I were to actually get logical I should just get a MK7R XD.

Has any of you guys gone thru this kind of dilemma? Anyone had a chance to get a MT but ended up going AT? And even crazier, anyone traded in a MT for an AT? Is the MT worth 20k CAD more than an AT to your heart? Is it blown out of proportion how good the MT is? Anyone with 60k mile+ Supra out there that still see regular track day use? Please share your thoughts, would love to learn more. And I absolutely cannot wait to get a Supra to join you all!

Thanks,
Jerry

66 Nurburgring, _M.Stollenwerk - Tourifotos.de_.jpg

49D778C1-F036-4643-AF54-D209B243E5CB.jpg
CDDD942D-D9D8-4734-8B74-6BE17CA0BA40.jpg
7C88DB19-92EE-47F5-8396-8234C6197847.jpg
Sponsored

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
Not trying to give you a long sophisticated answer but I can safely say AT all the way.

-Daily drive it and when its in "Comfort" mode I feel like I'm driving a Camry.
-The gearbox is ridiculously fast AF, and I love it.
-TJ Hut has said himself that he prefers the AT because its just so perfect, fast, smooth.

I've been daily driving my car for about 2 years now and it never disappoints. My girlfriend drives it as well on some days and she enjoys tf out of it.

I do agree with " the emotional part" as the MT gives you more connection with the car, but I can safely say I don't regret not getting the MT.

If you plan on reselling in the future maybe getting the MT will benefit you since it seems like it will be more sought after than the AT, but I don't plan on selling mine ever. It will be a family heirloom lol

That's just my 2 cents.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I have my AT 2020 Supra and have access to the SI shop car anytime I want. I've taken it out a hand full of times. For me it wasn't a feeling of missing anything or gaining anything over my auto. But if both are in front of me, I'd pick the AT 9 out of 10 times, that one time being a track event. Otherwise for me, driving manual my whole life, IDK.... I don't regret getting an auto. I don't have a desire to get the manual, I wouldn't buy a manual if both were in front of me and I had the option to start over. I think my last manual car put me over the edge, a 2018 Mustang with the shitty MT82-D4 trans.

When I order my G82 even though I can order a manual ill still get mine in auto.

Here is my advice, if it's this much of a dilemma for you, the manual is probably the way to go. A lot of things for me when it comes down to one or the other, no matter what one I pick I will always wonder if I should've got the other. You'll probably spend more thought on I should've went with manual or I wonder if the manual would've been better if you get the auto, then the other way around.

For myself, I'm 45 I spent my whole life with manual cars and just at a point where it didn't bother me to have auto. 5 years ago you couldn't get me in a auto. times changed for me.

ope_sry

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium
This was the first performance car Iā€™ve bought with an A/T, after owning and driving for a year I have absolutely no regrets and Iā€™m actually quite thankful I didnā€™t go with the M/T (even though it was a tough pill to swallow at the time). I see 5 and 6 speed cars now and just think ā€œslowwwwā€

ApexTheory

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT
This MT is always a joy to drive (though I'm sure the AT is as well). The few tenths shaved off your times don't matter when you're smiling through every gear change.

And with the tall gearing you don't have to shift all that much; 3rd gear takes you all the way up to highway speeds. Downshifting to 2nd approaching a light, the auto-rev match perfectly hits the upper rev range, then the pops from the exhaust. Guuuuuhhhh.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This MT is always a joy to drive (though I'm sure the AT is as well). The few tenths shaved off your times don't matter when you're smiling through every gear change.
This is how i felt when i bought my Mustang and my excuse to myself on why manual over auto. BUIT at least for that car, the manual with full bolt ons e85 and all in this DA my best 60-130 in April weather, so before it even got hot, was only 11.3 seconds. Autos were doing higher 9's here. in good DA lower 9's upper 8's. The Supra is high 7's easy here and even dead of summer low 8's. I'm not sure the difference between the auto and manual in a Supra, but the Mustang sucked and I wanted a car to go fast in.

That said, pulling off a proper downshift in a manual is pure bliss, so i agree 10000% there :)

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
MT in traffic always made me hate what would otherwise be an amazing car. I guess if itā€™s not a daily/not commuting and you can enjoy it on twisty roads and track it would be fun. I never minded shifting with my hand, but the clutch in and out with the foot was exhausting. I have AT in mine and love it

LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra (MT), 2005 4Runner (V8)
Kelowna MT Supra here.

Had a 2022 in Vancouver for 3 days for buddies wedding, was blown away with how good it is. I honestly prefer it to the BMW DCT (but not the PDK), outside of how tight it is to get in and out I prefer the Supra to the F80 M4 I have driven many a times. The ZF8 is shockingly quick, and smoother around town than the M DCT. There was something missing for me though, it was fast and effortless but the manual gave me the engagement I was looking for in my 'fun' car.

The manual is quite good, not honda (S2000, FA5/FG2, Type Rs good) good but I put the deposit down only after trying the shifter and making sure it wasnt the typical rubbery garbage BMW. If this was my regular or only car I would go 100% with the auto, but I think this is a terrible only car. I got the manual because it is a fun car for me, I have not had a manual since I sold my 2013 FRS and these cars are going the way of the dinosaur. Not an ounce of regret having tried both.

I used to track and instruct at Mission, many autox days, Knox hillclimb...etc. I thought being a hardcore ex-racer (sarcasm) I would hate the rev matching feature. I now have it on all the time, I think it's the way to bring manuals into the modern era. Downshifts are perfect every time and feels like a DCT. Ironically I think it would be even more usefull on track because you can maintain perfect threshold braking while downshifting. I am well versed in heel-toe but you dont hit that every time, and if you look at data maintaining perfect brake pressure while downshifting & blipping is nearly impossible. With this it is and you can focus on the braking, love this feature.

The car is a proper sports car. Not GT3 good but for the price nothing interests me as far as value and fun in this price bracket. Either way the car is a winner. I chose the manual and CU Later:
394019017_207331922379007_8133534772456815961_n.jpg

Daemon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra Premium, '15 WRX
I was originally looking for a manual because I love slamming gears, but after experiencing the auto gearbox in the Supra I have no regrets. It shifts faster than I ever could and has the flappy paddles for when I need/want more control of the shifting.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
I didn't even consider this car before the manual was an option.

This is going to be the last non-fugly looking BMW with RWD, LSD, and a stick.

Gotta make it count.

Also, never once drove an automatic and was like oh wow an automatic.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
OP - I am a MT guy at heart. Basically I've only owned manuals my entire life unless it is a car I share with my wife.

I already mentioned this many times, but if the GR Supra came MT on the 4 banger with BBK, that would've been the bomb. I would have bought one and parked it next to my B58 Supra.

The B58 version.. that was made for speed. AT is the way to go..at least for me. And while I'm kind of old, I have a full set of hair because I know what's right for me. :crazy:

taiyaki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 MT BRZ, '23 AT 3.0 Supra
I never cared for the supra until the MT was about to be announced. I put a deposit the day it was announced and couldnā€™t wait to get it. When it was confirmed nitro yellow was being discontinued this summer, i was in the position of choosing the color i want or the transmission.

Ultimately, I decided on the color. I picked up my 23 AT last month and i have zero regrets, I love how fast it is, i can still have fun shifting with paddles.
Sponsored