OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
Wow lot's of good inputs from experienced ex-MT owners here! Thanks everyone for sharing. I have been hesitant because it'll may be my first Auto car after owning 12 cars of which all are MT with exception of the one that has only one gear :p Seems like I have my answer a little more clear now

OPā€¦ youā€™re about to drop $60k+ on a vehicle. If you donā€™t know what YOU want and are coming to an Internet forum for advice on what YOU should buy you need to pause, put your wallet away, and rethink things.
Emspilot, I used to be on forums all the time and imagine it being a bar and where we just all just discussed things, those convos helped us learn more, think and make better decisions. Then instagram came and lots of car forums pretty much disappeared, gone were the info exchange, fun chats, and out comes "here's my build or purchase and I'm right". The supra forum still appears to be one of those good info forums. Sometimes we need that platform to exchange info before making a big or small purchase. My money came the hard way and I'm an engineer (one of those who overworry things sometimes), so yeah I'm gonna talk to the owners and learn as much as I could before dropping 600 large ones:) And well, I know I want a Supra, just deciding on the last option
Sponsored

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜23 GR Supra Premium MT
My opinion is if youā€™re so worried about it, go with the safe bet which is the AT.

If you waited all this time for a MT and are still trying to convince yourself to pull the trigger thereā€™s probably a subconscious reason youā€™re not seeing.

I absolutely love my MT but Iā€™m not a purest who believes any sports car should be a stick. My deciding factor was simpleā€¦. In all my automatics, the only fun I every had was slamming the throttle and holding on. I went with a manual for the first time on a primary car to get as much connection out of the drive itself, not just time attacking red lights.

Either way you canā€™t go wrong.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Welp i think we its time we start another oil thread boysā€¦
I know the drill, don't worry too much about 2021's, 5w30, and don't always trust the sensor. Especially don't let Toyota change your level sensor if it goes kaput:p

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My opinion is if youā€™re so worried about it, go with the safe bet which is the AT.

If you waited all this time for a MT and are still trying to convince yourself to pull the trigger thereā€™s probably a subconscious reason youā€™re not seeing.

I absolutely love my MT but Iā€™m not a purest who believes any sports car should be a stick. My deciding factor was simpleā€¦. In all my automatics, the only fun I every had was slamming the throttle and holding on. I went with a manual for the first time on a primary car to get as much connection out of the drive itself, not just time attacking red lights.

Either way you canā€™t go wrong.
Damn, I think you've hit the point about the subconscious thing!

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP - I am a MT guy at heart. Basically I've only owned manuals my entire life unless it is a car I share with my wife.

I already mentioned this many times, but if the GR Supra came MT on the 4 banger with BBK, that would've been the bomb. I would have bought one and parked it next to my B58 Supra.

The B58 version.. that was made for speed. AT is the way to go..at least for me. And while I'm kind of old, I have a full set of hair because I know what's right for me. :crazy:
Great point, I think if we got the UK Pro 2.0 with LSD annnd a MT option I might be tempted too. Afterall, I had lots of fun in a GR86 MT. Jealous about your hair, I'm 26 and I have half as much hair as when I was 13, the math is not greatšŸ¤­

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This was the first performance car Iā€™ve bought with an A/T, after owning and driving for a year I have absolutely no regrets and Iā€™m actually quite thankful I didnā€™t go with the M/T (even though it was a tough pill to swallow at the time). I see 5 and 6 speed cars now and just think ā€œslowwwwā€
I just gotta swallow that pill!

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
I absolutely love my MT but Iā€™m not a purest who believes any sports car should be a stick.
I agree, I was all about MTs, but I recently had a change of heart when it comes to the ZF8. The ZF8 performance opened my eyes, and I see why some racing teams use it.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have my AT 2020 Supra and have access to the SI shop car anytime I want. I've taken it out a hand full of times. For me it wasn't a feeling of missing anything or gaining anything over my auto. But if both are in front of me, I'd pick the AT 9 out of 10 times, that one time being a track event. Otherwise for me, driving manual my whole life, IDK.... I don't regret getting an auto. I don't have a desire to get the manual, I wouldn't buy a manual if both were in front of me and I had the option to start over. I think my last manual car put me over the edge, a 2018 Mustang with the shitty MT82-D4 trans.

When I order my G82 even though I can order a manual ill still get mine in auto.

Here is my advice, if it's this much of a dilemma for you, the manual is probably the way to go. A lot of things for me when it comes down to one or the other, no matter what one I pick I will always wonder if I should've got the other. You'll probably spend more thought on I should've went with manual or I wonder if the manual would've been better if you get the auto, then the other way around.

For myself, I'm 45 I spent my whole life with manual cars and just at a point where it didn't bother me to have auto. 5 years ago you couldn't get me in a auto. times changed for me.
I got into the new G chassis BMWs with the same thought, eh it's an auto, and first impression was nothing, and then I remembered most AT cars bug me to some extent, so that ended up being a very good thing. I've never had to choose between MT and AT back in the day, what a great problem we are having these days!

Not trying to give you a long sophisticated answer but I can safely say AT all the way.

-Daily drive it and when its in "Comfort" mode I feel like I'm driving a Camry.
-The gearbox is ridiculously fast AF, and I love it.
-TJ Hut has said himself that he prefers the AT because its just so perfect, fast, smooth.

I've been daily driving my car for about 2 years now and it never disappoints. My girlfriend drives it as well on some days and she enjoys tf out of it.

I do agree with " the emotional part" as the MT gives you more connection with the car, but I can safely say I don't regret not getting the MT.

If you plan on reselling in the future maybe getting the MT will benefit you since it seems like it will be more sought after than the AT, but I don't plan on selling mine ever. It will be a family heirloom lol

That's just my 2 cents.
I think perhaps the Supra is so rigid and in a way connected to the road, (steering wheel ehhhh) but rest is almost as communicative as an 86, I didnt feel that disconnected when I drove the AT. I don't plan on reselling, but was toying with the idea perhaps the AT is better for me rn, and eventually if I reallllly have to have a MT for some reason, just swap the car or gearbox when they're fully depreciated at 15 years mark.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
It's a personal choice.

Personally, I completely ignored the Supra until a manual transmission was available. I have driven many automatic cars but have never owned one.. and until we're all forced to go electric, never will.

I love these threads because if you look carefully, you will notice that all the pro AT posts are full of really really good reasons why the MT wasn't the obvious choice. In contrast all the pro MT posts seem to lack an excuse reason why they didn't buy an AT. Just saying.

My personal favorite is how AT people's panties get all in a bunch in traffic when driving a manual.

Aww.

SupraGTS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GTS MT6
Got a manual one. Very happy with it. Personally wouldnt consider an Auto... Auto is objectively better, sure, but you wont be able to buy manual anything soon, no chance I am wasting an auto on this car.

In a few years there will be plenty of cars faster than the Supra if you just want to hold your foot flat and steer. Take this last opportunity to get the last of the modern manuals I reckon.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
I think this is very specific to circumstance. Personally coming from only manuals in my past the auto was great for 6 months but im finding it quite unengaging now the novelty of "my first auto" is wearing off. That being said my driving has completely changed in the time ive owned it, from commuting to working from home so when i do drive i want a little more involvement now.

That stuff aside, even with my manual experience when you really drive the AT supra hard on the twisty roads of Scotland or Wales in the UK it shows me i wouldn't be able to do the same in the MT. Id be upside down in a bush wishing id got the auto most likely.

In the long run i think you would find it hard to have the same passion for the supra if you have only ever had manuals once the new car smell wears off. Residuals on the MT will also help sweeten the pot if you come to sell in the future.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
It's a personal choice.

Personally, I completely ignored the Supra until a manual transmission was available. I have driven many automatic cars but have never owned one.. and until we're all forced to go electric, never will.

I love these threads because if you look carefully, you will notice that all the pro AT posts are full of really really good reasons why the MT wasn't the obvious choice. In contrast all the pro MT posts seem to lack an excuse reason why they didn't buy an AT. Just saying.

My personal favorite is how AT people's panties get all in a bunch in traffic when driving a manual.

Aww.
I think one of the reasons for the "excuses" is that the whole enthusiast crowd love to hate on autos which makes anyone who buys one feel they have to defend themselves against the inevitable onslaught of negativity. We are all fans of cars here so its a shame you feel you have to get what "the community" approves of to feel accepted. If an AT fits your life best it doesn't make you less of an enthusiast.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I think one of the reasons for the "excuses" is that the whole enthusiast crowd love to hate on autos which makes anyone who buys one feel they have to defend themselves against the inevitable onslaught of negativity. We are all fans of cars here so its a shame you feel you have to get what "the community" approves of to feel accepted. If an AT fits your life best it doesn't make you less of an enthusiast.
Yeah I agree. I know I take the piss about it - and yes, I do genuinely hate automatics including the less shit than average ZF8 - but the facts are that people need to grow some backbone and just buy whatever they want. I couldn't care less how people feel about my choice of car, its colour or transmission. It's like the whole "Nice BMW" thing. Who gives a fuck?

I mean, imagine having such low self esteem that you needed to get validation from the intarwebs about spending oodles of your own hard earned dollars.

Fucking loony tunes.
Sponsored

Last edited: