About to go Bald

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
What drew my friend to swapping his Skyline is seeing a ZF 8HP-swapped Mk4 Supra. Turns out, you can get kits to swap in a ZF 8HP into tons of German/JDM 90s cars, including Toyotas, Lexuses, Volvos, BMWs, and Nissans. There's even a kit to bolt an 8HP up to a Honda K24...

If so many people are 8HP swapping their SR-20 Silvias that companies make kits for it, then I question how many people in the future will care about manuals, even in classic cars.
Yeah, no. "so many people" = one dude, maybe.

I have never seen or even heard of one of these swaps. I have heard of many many automatic to manual swaps though - there's even a thread on here for the MKV.

Sorry but this just reads like another lame attempt to ignore logic and facts to justify a subjective opinion.. but it's all good, I couldn't care less.
Sponsored

Professor SKO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91
If only such a thing existed ;) I've heard some convertibles come off the Supra assembly line.

Also, hate to break it to you, but your car is not an A91. A91 is special edition designation only, not 2021+ models as a common misconception.
Per the Factory Window Sticker, My Supra Year/Model is specified as 2022/2378A and is an A91-CF EDITION. In the Standard Equipment area, the first item is A91-CF SPECIAL EDITION. I had previously told the dealer to call me when he got a YELLOW Supra. It was the yellow paint that kept on saying to me: "You WANT me, buy me". I didn't really care what model it was, just that it was YELLOW and a two seater.
Supra Window Sticker - A91.jpg

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Per the Factory Window Sticker, My Supra Year/Model is specified as 2022/2378A and is an A91-CF EDITION. In the Standard Equipment area, the first item is A91-CF SPECIAL EDITION. I had previously told the dealer to call me when he got a YELLOW Supra. It was the yellow paint that kept on saying to me: "You WANT me, buy me". I didn't really care what model it was, just that it was YELLOW and a two seater.
Supra Window Sticker - A91.jpg
Ha! I feel silly now, I thought your car was a 2023! Sorry mate!

Beautiful car, I see that it is a CF now.

Richard Truman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Preamum
Iā€™ve driven both. Itā€™s easy at a track day event. Another guy says want to try mine and vice versa.

Damn this brings back memories. Spot on brotha! When my not yet wife and I graduated, I had a RX7 twin turbo. She had a Hyundai Scoop (of šŸ’©). I felt so bad for her working through college like me, I went out and got her a BMW 325i manual coupe. She was pissed but learned to drive stick and loved it.

That was at least 20 years ago. Soā€¦. hard for me to say I wouldnā€™t do the same, if I was young again.

Bottom line, I havenā€™t heard any regrets with either version? If youā€™re young, this isnā€™t or shouldnā€™t be an investment decision šŸ˜‚ Itā€™s an instinctive itch. Like lots of us, it wonā€™t go away until you finally pull the trigger and purchase. So go out and find the one thatā€˜ll satisfy YOU. By all means donā€™t look at what the same amount of money will do in an investment (compound interest) calculator at your age.
yea I got rid of the Z06 2017 low milage two many problems with the wheels cracking Lights on dash sold it Got the Manual Supra Love it Iam older now but still like to shift Manual all the way

20230823_204618.jpg

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
What drew my friend to swapping his Skyline is seeing a ZF 8HP-swapped Mk4 Supra. Turns out, you can get kits to swap in a ZF 8HP into tons of German/JDM 90s cars, including Toyotas, Lexuses, Volvos, BMWs, and Nissans. There's even a kit to bolt an 8HP up to a Honda K24...

If so many people are 8HP swapping their SR-20 Silvias that companies make kits for it, then I question how many people in the future will care about manuals, even in classic cars.
Please don't talk about this, no one wants to hear about racing teams swapping to the 8HP, lol!

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
Yeah, no. "so many people" = one dude, maybe.

I have never seen or even heard of one of these swaps. I have heard of many many automatic to manual swaps though - there's even a thread on here for the MKV.
A few racing teams swapped their transmission to the 8HP. The information is out there. If you're a true car enthusiast, it shouldn't be hard too find. There are plenty search engines you can use.

This whole debate between AT and MT is so old now. It's dividing up the community. These threads need to stop.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
A few racing teams swapped their transmission to the 8HP. The information is out there. If you're a true car enthusiast, it shouldn't be hard too find. There are plenty search engines you can use.
So.. "many people" has now become "some racing teams."

šŸ˜‚

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
If I only bought a manual I could have had more fun at the track šŸ˜‚ The ZF is a brand also makes other transmissions šŸ˜± Those arguments are pointless for me. Many top brand shoes sell running, hiking, tennis & you name it.

https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/productfinder/cars.html?query=&start=0

Same with ZF. I honestly didnā€™t expect the transmission in our Supra to be anywhere near this good. Especially mated to the B58 engine. Itā€™s a marriage made in automotive heaven! Iā€™ve driven tons of dual clutch and manuals on track. Again, never felt anything this smooth and forgiving. You can shift in the middle of a 100mph sweeping turn and the car doesnā€™t blink. Normally youā€™d finish the turn or loose time & grip shifting. I havenā€™t had this much fun on track since I started tracking many moons ago. Soā€¦ā€¦

Back to his question. What should he do. He needs to tickle what fancyā€™s him, in his situation. Not mine or anyone else. Only he can answer that. However, Iif heā€™s worried this car will be less fun or competitive on track, he can remove that from the equation. Plain and simple.

Will this be his only car? Get the manual

Will it be a secondary ride for mainly tracking? Andā€¦. Youā€™ve been there dun that with manuals on track, not his 1st rodeo šŸ¤ , get the auto with a loud ass exhaust to hear every single shift of those fantastic 8 gears!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
If I only bought a manual I could have had more fun at the track šŸ˜‚ The ZF is a brand also makes other transmissions
Jeep has the same ZF8HP. Its identical to the Supra, but obviously with different tuning.

It's a good transmission. Especially for trips to the grocery store. šŸ™ƒ

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Jeep has the same ZF8HP. Its identical to the Supra, but obviously with different tuning.

It's a good transmission. Especially for trips to the grocery store. šŸ™ƒ
the jeep is a piece of shit like you tho no matter what they put in it. It should be so lucky it got that transmission in the first place
Sponsored

Last edited: