About to go Bald

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I can’t imagine what it must be like to feel the need to defend your decisions against random people on the internet.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
It just hits different if you say, "The Supra is the sportscar, so it should have the automatic transmission," though.

Ew.
I totally get where you‘re coming from. Especially after following your down under wait a year buying experience page. You’re a smartass and funny. It’s hard to judge people from just a few keystrokes. But I appreciate ya, as always brotha!

I do think Bryan (Razor) is more spot on with the ZF. They put together way more variables than I even knew was possible. Holy 💩 😱 Makes more sense now, with so many combos, that they somehow got all the Rubik’s cube sides the same color - with this transmission for this car. Kudos to Toyota (or BMW), I’m not sure who to thank…

Granted this is my 1st full time paddle shifting car I’ve used for track. I’ve driven others on track but they weren’t mine. And we have a dual clutch on my wife’s GTi. Again, I never expected the Supra to be this good. Many car magazines refer to this particular ZF transmission combo that‘s in the Supra as the holy grail of shifting (recent comparison to the Dark Horse) and they downplay that other cars can’t come close to it’s smoothness and performance. One thing I can actually agree with them.

Side note: I remember when Ferrari 1st came out with paddle shifters and it was jerky as hell. Not the case here. I‘ve also been in various Jeeps. Nope, not even close to the same feeling.

Back to @Kujiwara OP if he’s still around. Both cars will be fantastic if you can find one. I saw a recent post were someone paid MSRP in Virginia. So things are looking up!

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I totally get where you‘re coming from. Especially after following your down under wait a year buying experience page. You’re a smartass and funny. It’s hard to judge people from just a few keystrokes. But I appreciate ya, as always brotha!
Haha.. Back at you. I think a lot of people on here just take things way too seriously. I mean, I can't imagine why anyone would give two shits what anyone else thinks about their purchasing decisions: It really boggles the mind.

Threads like this open the door for a bit of a laugh.. and I'd like to add that I actually showed near super human restraint when I didn't respond to OPs original question by saying:

Well, if you can't get a girl to give you a BJ do you just try a guy until a girl shows interest?

It's just a bit of fun and people getting offended need to grow up.. or as they say down under, drink some concrete and harden the fuck up. 😂

As for the whole manual vs automatic debate, meh. I have driven the automatic Supra and I didn't like it. It works fine.. for what it is. I know it holds more power than the manual and I also know it changes faster than the manual.. but it's just the wrong sex, if I can revisit my above metaphor. 😂

Granted this is my 1st full time paddle shifting car I’ve used for track. I’ve driven others on track but they weren’t mine. And we have a dual clutch on my wife’s GTi.
Genuine question - which I haven't seen discussed - but which do you think is better: DSG or ZF8?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Let me preface by saying I ALWAYS drive my Supra in manual mode.

The ZF8 is much happier in manual mode than the DSG was. The DSG just worked better in auto. So if you want a flappy paddle F1 experience, the ZF8 does it better. The DSG (in the GTI at least) didn't feel as crisp, or as fast.

Of all the flappy paddles I've driven, I'd put the ZF8 second only to Porsche's PDK.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Of all the flappy paddles I've driven, I'd put the ZF8 second only to Porsche's PDK.
Agreed. The ZF is great because it can be super smooth yet really aggressive if you want it to be.

I also have a DSG equipped car, it's clunky... like DCT's are. I even have a tune on it and it's even clunkier now. I had a SST as well. That was pretty good at the time but light years behind the ZF.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Genuine question - which I haven't seen discussed - but which do you think is better: DSG or ZF8?
Let me preface by saying I ALWAYS drive my Supra in manual mode.

The ZF8 is much happier in manual mode than the DSG was. The DSG just worked better in auto. So if you want a flappy paddle F1 experience, the ZF8 does it better. The DSG (in the GTI at least) didn't feel as crisp, or as fast.

Agreed. The ZF is great because it can be super smooth yet really aggressive if you want it to be.

I also have a DSG equipped car, it's clunky... like DCT's are. I even have a tune on it and it's even clunkier now. I had a SST as well. That was pretty good at the time but light years behind the ZF.
This and this

Spot on.

I’d even argue that the PDK isn’t as smooth as this ZF. It’s definitely quicker shifting on paper and most of my experience has been with the prior Cayman version. Not the newer 918. But that’s splitting hairs imo. Not to mention the Supra is 1/2 the price and holds her own on track quite well. So I’m biased as fcuk!

Compared to the VW GTI DSG, it is NOT good at manual mode at all. Especially after driving the ZF programmed Supra. You can feel it fighting what I‘m telling it to do. I have no clue what it’s programmed for. But it ain’t tracking. However, in sport mode, in auto, she’s snappy and nice. In normal mode, it cruises well.

And I think I’ve drank too much concrete - like you. Love that saying, never heard it before 😝

Cfdproductions

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 a91MT 92 sw20 kswap
MT all the way! Waited 3 years for one and no regrets … and to all those saying MT is slower, learn to drive if it is slower it is by such a small margin it won’t matter